Shame on Port Ft Lauderdale

norcalal

Yesterday, disembarking from the Oasis of the Seas while waiting in the van pickup area, at pier 18, I witnessed porters waiving a fist full of bills in the face of elder and obviously foreign travelers, screaming, tip tip, you pay, and pointing at their luggage. Some of elder ones became frightened and paid.

These jerks picked their shots to those who they felt could be intimidated and it was not a pretty sight. The Port knows this occurs and should be ashamed for allowing it to continue.:mad:

I'm not doubting you, but how do you know that the port knows it occurs? Even if they do know, have you considered contacting them to let them know what you saw? Perhaps if enough people speak up on the issue they might do something about it.

I think many passengers are now afraid not to tip the porters because of the fear their luggage may not make it onto the ship:mad:.

Our last cruise out of Ft.Lauderdale in March, the porter approached us, introduced himself and said he will be in charge of our luggage and will take very good care of it. Of course he finished by saying all tips were welcome:eek::eek:.....our interpretation...no tip, maybe no luggage!!

I'm not doubting you, but how do you know that the port knows it occurs? Even if they do know, have you considered contacting them to let them know what you saw? Perhaps if enough people speak up on the issue they might do something about it.

This happened with two Port Cops not ten feet away and another half dozen within sight and earshot of what these jerks were doing....the Port knows:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This happened with two Port Cops not ten feet away and another half dozen within sight and earshot of what these jerks were doing....the Port knows:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Unfortunately, you don't mess with your unionized brothers!

For the OP, just to clarify... the porters were demanding tips for the luggage for people who were embarking, or for people like you who had just disembarked? I've never used anyone for help with my luggage after I get off the boat, but aren't there also porters to help you pick up your luggage and take you to your cab?

I always tip as a general rule, but I also tip because as others say, I want to make sure my luggage gets on the ship. Although it would really suck if the porters purposefully throw your bags in the water if you don't give them a tip. But if I encountered such rudeness and I had already left the boat and am going home, I might have given the guy only two bucks and told him to have a nice day.

Hm, as a European I find the entire tipping system you guys have one big joke…But maybe strange for me to say, when we embarked on Allure, the porters where very friendly and I even had to near run after them to give them a tip...I just want to say, there will always be rotten apples in the basket anywhere you go.

For the OP, just to clarify... the porters were demanding tips for the luggage for people who were embarking, or for people like you who had just disembarked? I've never used anyone for help with my luggage after I get off the boat, but aren't there also porters to help you pick up your luggage and take you to your cab?

I always tip as a general rule, but I also tip because as others say, I want to make sure my luggage gets on the ship. Although it would really suck if the porters purposefully throw your bags in the water if you don't give them a tip. But if I encountered such rudeness and I had already left the boat and am going home, I might have given the guy only two bucks and told him to have a nice day.

Disembarking

Also; FYI I have emailed the Port.

Just a few years ago we left on a cruise from Miami and arrived at a very busy time. We drove up to drop off 3 bags with a porter. Unfortunately my wallet was really buried at the bottom of a carry-on bag. As I was rooting in the bag to find the wallet to tip the porter, a police officer who was directing traffic (there were cars everywhere) came over to yell at us to move our car as we had been sitting there for too long. I told the porter I would get my wallet after we parked and would take care of him on my way in.

By the time we parked, got all of our stuff together, and got my wallet out of the bag it had been about 15 minutes. When we got back to where we had dropped our bags off with the porter, we saw he had not even placed our bags on a luggage cart. He had put them to the side against a planter wall. As soon as I tipped him, he picked them up and put them on a luggage cart. I got the sense that if I really was going to stiff him on the tip, I don't think I would have ever seen our luggage again. He probably would have thrown them into the bushes or into the water.

So the porters had handled disembarking passangers luggage?, if that is the case they deserve to be tipped.:confused:

That is the custom here. I personally do not have a problem with tipping. My beef with these jerks is that the folks they were intimidating obviously did not understand.

No way would I tip someone who was trying to hustle me.

That is the custom here. I personally do not have a problem with tipping. My beef with these jerks is that the folks they were intimidating obviously did not understand.

No way would I tip someone who was trying to hustle me.

A lot of the terminals in FL, the porters help expedite you through customs (porter line moves faster) and then to a cab or your car. While their services are included when you board, I do not believe they are included when you debark and in that case a tip was definitely in order. JMHO

A lot of the terminals in FL, the porters help expedite you through customs (porter line moves faster) and then to a cab or your car. While their services are included when you board, I do not believe they are included when you debark and in that case a tip was definitely in order. JMHO

Thats not the point!!! These jerks were acting like THUGS!!!

You are saying they are doing it for tips only? I find that hard to believe that anyone union would work for tips only. :rolleyes:

This is why on the last 2 cruises I went on I just did a carryon bag with a shoulder bag, yes it was a bit of hassle once I got on, but I always went right to the pool deck, grab a lounger and have a few drinks!! I can sit around (I am on vacation after all) until 1pm when the cabins open as long as they keep bringing me those tropical drinks!!:D

As often as I can I will continue to bring only carryon and take care of my own luggage.

Disembarkation: Absolutely people who use a porter are expected to tip!

LuLu

~~~~

Apparently I am one of the few that get the point of the original post.

It doesn't matter whether they should get a tip or not. They have no right to yell and berate people to get it. And I would never give a dime to anyone I saw acting this way.

take a video of them acting like this and send it to the local news channels, I am sure they would love running with something like that :)

Tips are optional they are getting paid their wages and while it is customary it is optional not mandatory. If it was mandatory it would be called a fee for services ;)

Archived