Shame on Port Ft Lauderdale

norcalal

Porters are unionized, they have job secuity promised them via their membership. If you think that complaining is going to make any difference, you just don't understand the reality of it. There is no other option but for the port to hire ILWU workers, and there is no incentive for the ILWU to change anything.

David

Somewhat ironic in the week of Mrs Thatcher's funeral. Unions are broadly irrelevant nowadays in the UK.......not sure why they still rule in the USA.

In San Juan we dropped our luggage off with a porter. If he wasn't in the way I could have put it on the luggage rack myself. The guy said something about tips, and told him if he would have helped me out of the taxi that would deserve a tip. But since he didn't I didn't feel the need especially when I could have dropped my things on the cart.

I too believe if the porter has helped me in anyway they deserve a tip, but when he literally did nothing, he shouldn't expect to get anything.

This happened with two Port Cops not ten feet away and another half dozen within sight and earshot of what these jerks were doing....the Port knows:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And what makes you think the police are there to administer the porters?

Even worse to me is the fact that the man at the FT Lauderdale Delta check in did the same type thing. Told us he was in charge of making sure our luggage got to the correct place and we could give him a little something extra if we wanted. My husband did not hear him at first and asked another question and after the response to the question, the Delta employee again said we could give him something extra if we wanted.

For the OP, just to clarify... the porters were demanding tips for the luggage for people who were embarking, or for people like you who had just disembarked? I've never used anyone for help with my luggage after I get off the boat, but aren't there also porters to help you pick up your luggage and take you to your cab?

I always tip as a general rule, but I also tip because as others say, I want to make sure my luggage gets on the ship. Although it would really suck if the porters purposefully throw your bags in the water if you don't give them a tip. But if I encountered such rudeness and I had already left the boat and am going home, I might have given the guy only two bucks and told him to have a nice day.

My "Tip" would have been to be more civil and polite :D

Even worse to me is the fact that the man at the FT Lauderdale Delta check in did the same type thing. Told us he was in charge of making sure our luggage got to the correct place and we could give him a little something extra if we wanted. My husband did not hear him at first and asked another question and after the response to the question, the Delta employee again said we could give him something extra if we wanted.

wow, I have never heard that at an airline counter.

For those that question the need for a porter on disembarkment... we use one anytime we can find one... and yes we tip... in fact, my DH tips very well for the service. We are unable to manage all our luggage ourselves so we appreciate it.

I have been on the receiving end of those thugs while traveling by myself for business to Washington DC... when we arrived at my hotel, I paid the cab driver and included a tip... he yelled at me that it was not big enough and told me how much I needed to pay him... I was so scared I paid up.. Thinking back I should have asked for his cab # and reported him. My point is, like a previous poster mentioned... get his name!

There are signs stating "no tipping"...

They are there...

They are also hidden behind the carefully placed luggage carts....

That is not what the signs say.

All i have to say after reading this post is if a porter ever wants try and tell me anything to the effect of i "must" tip him and begins yelling at me......that will be the last day he works at that port for some time, I'll be sure of it!!

Perhaps, but let me assure you, a tazer does not feel good. ;)

What do they say?

This is not exact, but they say something along the lines of "tipping is optional based on service."

Most of my cruises are out of Miami or FLL and I have never seen a sign that specificaly says not to tip the porters.

But come to think of it, I do not recall seeing any of these signs at the Oasis terminal.

When we arrived for embarkation a few weeks ago, the porter gathered us all around (we were a bus of 20 or so people) explained he would be handling our luggage. Then asked that we tip him. When folks started handing him ones, he stated that was not enough. I put the money I intended for him in my pocket and he didn't get anything from me. I don't tip for rude service.

Ive no problem tipping for a service I require, but Im perfectly capable of wheeling cases from car to checkin at an airport, why is a cruise terminal so different?

But if youve got six cases, or are *old*, Im sure that the service provided by porters is essential and should be tipped for.

This was the prompt response from the port to the statement I started this thread with...simply cut and pasted and let them know that this was posted on Cruise Critic.

To

CC

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to send this to Port Everglades. Your concern under the circumstances is understandable.

We at Port Everglades take customer satisfaction very seriously.

The baggage handlers/porters are not employees of Port Everglades. The porters are members of an organized labor union called the International Longshoremen’s Association (ILA) and are hired by the cruise line. I have included ILA Local 1526 Vice President, Christopher D. Roland on this email. Mr. Roland takes a hands-on approach in dealing with his members, who are salaried employees and held accountable for their actions.

If you or someone you know has a positive or negative experience with a porter, we will need to know their assigned badge number which is a required part of their uniform, the ship, and date the incident occurred.

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Karen Rech

Cruise Services Manager

Port Everglades Department

1850 Eller Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 Office 954 468-0180; Cell 954 213-9

So now this goes to RCL...I thought these guys worked for the port!

This was the prompt response from the port to the statement I started this thread with...simply cut and pasted and let them know that this was posted on Cruise Critic.

They aren't actually hired by the cruise lines either.

The cruise line contracts with a company that hires the porters.

porters are not Port staff...union employees hired by the stevedoring companies. the cruise lines hire the stevedoring companies.

Since there are several hundred porters...they wear numbers incase there is an issue you can report it.

You are informed...thankyou

[Quote:

Originally Posted by goose30

And what makes you think the police are there to administer the porters?

My statement was that this practice was so blatant that all who worked there were aware.

While highly unattractive, I am not sure that loudly "requesting" (I suspect the porter would claim he "requested" a tip) a tip is a crime.

I personally dislike it when the porter exaggerate their duties as they try to procure a tip...Some porters make it sound as if they personally carry my bag onto the ship and place it by my cabin door. I think the porter tosses it onto a cart and his coworkers use a fork lift to lift the full carts onto the ship....just as they load food and supplies. I still tip as I do not wish to worry that I got the mean guy who will mistreat my bag.

So, next time one sees undesirable behavior, we should write down the badge number from their uniform. or maybe snap a pic of their badge number...it would be interesting to see if their attitude changed when the badge number was noted.

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I think I'll take one when I drop off my bags and make some joke about "just in case I don't get my luggage, I'll know who is responsible".

Thank you OP for taking the time to write them and make them aware of the situation.

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I think I'll take one when I drop off my bags and make some joke about "just in case I don't get my luggage, I'll know who is responsible".

Thank you OP for taking the time to write them and make them aware of the situation.

This is a good idea. Or to put a positive spin on it you can say that you like to be able to recognize good service. :)

Haha! I love that!

It's disgusting that people DEMAND tips. The entire point of a tip is that it is given if the service exceeded the norm (or expected) or someone did something above and beyond what they are paid to do. I have no problem giving someone a tip, but if you TELL me to tip you or act like the OP was explaining, that's disgusting.

I remember in Cabo, some guy tried to grab my personal bag and actually pick me up out of a boat onto the beach and I about kicked him! You don't go around grabbing and pulling on someone's legs and waist! He then demanded a tip - for what!? Practically assaulting me!?

When we cruised out of FLL, my husband rolled our bags over to the luggage carts and actually put our bags in it while the porter stood next to the cart. The porter gave us a look and my husband lifted up his Coast Guard issued garment bag so the porter could see and put in on the top and said "This will make it on the ship" and gave him a $5 bill. Porter smiled, took the cash, and our bags arrived. I didn't want to pay him but our bags and belongings are worth more than $5 so it was a small price of peace of mind.

To

CC

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to send this to Port Everglades. Your concern under the circumstances is understandable.

We at Port Everglades take customer satisfaction very seriously.

The baggage handlers/porters are not employees of Port Everglades. The porters are members of an organized labor union called the International Longshoremen’s Association (ILA) and are hired by the cruise line. I have included ILA Local 1526 Vice President, Christopher D. Roland on this email. Mr. Roland takes a hands-on approach in dealing with his members, who are salaried employees and held accountable for their actions.

If you or someone you know has a positive or negative experience with a porter, we will need to know their assigned badge number which is a required part of their uniform, the ship, and date the incident occurred.

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Karen Rech

Cruise Services Manager

Port Everglades Department

1850 Eller Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 Office 954 468-0180; Cell 954 213-9

I received the same response from the port to the letter. I have a hunch Karen sends out many of these letters.

Archived