Is this a good price for a Celebrity 7-nt cruise?

Bryanhoop

Hello, I was wondering if the more knowledgeable cruisers could take a look at the price I paid for a cruise in March 2014 to see if it sounds reasonable?

March 1, 2014

7 nights

Celebrity Summit out of San Juan

Balcony Cabin

Classic All-Inclusive Beverage Package (123go)

Gratuities included (via travel agent, $210/room)

On-board credit (via residency, $100/room)

$774+tax=$823/pp

I have never sailed on Celebrity before so I have nothing to gauge this by.

Thanks!

yes I would say offhand it is a decent price, there are web sites that will track fares and let you know when they drop. You can then contact your TA for a price reduction.

You cannot name certain web sites here so don't even ask me for a hint google is your friend

Air fare and the flight to San Juan (and even Florida) is no fun from the West Coast. Since we hate red eye flights we have had to come in a day early to San Juan several times and pay for a hotel. If you live closer it's much easier and less expensive. I assume the ship leaves around 10:00PM. But your price looks good depending on the air arrangements.

Cruises on the Summit out of San Juan are usually lower price because of the air fare. It isn't like leaving out of the main land where many can drive to he ports. It comes down to having a lower price to fill the ship.

That is one of the reasons that repos are such great bargains. You can get a real steal on the Summit repo from NY to San Jaun but the air fare is a killer if you have to fly into NY.

The best way to judge is to compare the price with other cruises at the same time and add in all the other costs. You will find they will all balance out within a hundred dollars or so.

The biggy on that cruise is the bev pack and if it isn't offered on other crusies than it is a real bargain.

It is better than the rate on the X website:

Inside599.00 USD*

Ocean View699.00 USD

Veranda999.00 USD

Concierge Class1,099.00 USD

Aqua Class1,199.00 USD

Suite1,499.00 USD

Did you book through a TA?

We booked 11 months in advance on Reflection and found that with all taxes and fees and promotions, it was slightly less than Holland America AND even Carnival for essentially the same itinerary with an uninstructed balcony.

And I think your price is lower.

Before you book, go to this spreadsheet/database to get a feel for where you want your cabin to be:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AtHczoNeooladEEyVmQwWmJhaGItbFZPUFNudTFZcEE

Use the tab menus to sort through decks, ships, etc. Even if you can't find a review of a specific room you should be able to get close. Watch for things like the smoking areas on deck 5 being on the port side, atrium noise, etc.

And please post a review!

Fantastic info. I feel better now knowing I at least got a decent deal. My room is #6041 (Deluxe Ocean View Strm Veranda On Penthouse Deck) but there isn't any info in the google docs spreadsheet about this particular room (and, strangely, any of its neighbors). I'll definitely write a review when I get back!

I do know that the cost of cruising out of San Juan is subsidized by the travel expenses but I read that SW would start flying there in June and I have a ton of RR points I can put towards a ticket.

I am thinking about flying in Friday (depending on the ticket prices) and staying the night in San Juan. Any recommendations for hotels (or links to recommendations, I'm sure that this is a popular request).

Thanks again!

Fantastic info. I feel better now knowing I at least got a decent deal. My room is #6041 (Deluxe Ocean View Strm Veranda On Penthouse Deck) but there isn't any info in the google docs spreadsheet about this particular room (and, strangely, any of its neighbors). I'll definitely write a review when I get back!

I do know that the cost of cruising out of San Juan is subsidized by the travel expenses but I read that SW would start flying there in June and I have a ton of RR points I can put towards a ticket.

I am thinking about flying in Friday (depending on the ticket prices) and staying the night in San Juan. Any recommendations for hotels (or links to recommendations, I'm sure that this is a popular request).

Thanks again!

Here's an awesome review of your cruise from this month that is very fresh - I think she's still adding to it day by day. Loads of pictures, and she begins with their hotel stay the night before:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1829002

She's very responsive to questions, and from her posts I think you'd get worthwhile answers. Hope it helps.

Also, I was wrong earlier. The Summit is a "Solsticized" Millenium Class ship - which means it has been upgrades etc. but isn't actually a Solstice Class, hence not on the S-Class spreadsheet. Sorry!

Archived