Deciding on Pre-Cruise tours in London - HELP!

We are a group of 6 adults traveling together and trying to decide on tours in London before our British Isles tour on Ocean Princess in July. Has anyone toured with a specific tour company they could recommend? We prefer private tours with flexibility. We cannot decide between a London tour/ seeing all the sights in the city or driving out to the Cotswolds and touring countryside with a pub lunch. Can a tour of London sights be done in a few hours? We arrive noon on a Saturday and board ship on Monday so possibly could do both? Also trying to decide if the Military Tattoo would be worth the price of $799 for VIP seating.

Confused in CA:(

London has HOHO (hop-on/hop-off) buses that are a great way to see the city. Plus, you can get off at any stop and re-board another bus later to continue the tour. It includes a river cruise on the Thames which goes between the Tower of London to Westminster or vice versa. http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

There's no way you can see and visit the sights in London in a day or two. Just the Tower of London takes a couple of hours. You'll want to stop and see Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's, the Churchill bunker, the Royal Mews, Madame Toussaud's, and so much more. However, in a day and a half, you can get an oversight of the city and perhaps stop at a couple of historic spots.

If this is your first visit to London, I think you'd be doing a disservice if you go to the Cotswolds and not see London.

Hi There

Military Tattoo so you must mean Einburgh,

simple answer is yes the better the seats the better the view,

however you could do on your own, buy tickets direct from tattoo site,

if going to the late show getting back can be an issue unlss you have pre

booked transport,

any questions about Scottish ports just ask

yours Shogun

I agree with PamCA.....The HOHO buses are a great way to see the city in a short visit.

Keep in mind that the day you arrive is a day you might be tired from the time change and travel. We needed a nap before we set out sightseeing. You have a tight schedule for sightseeing because Monday will be lost to checkout and travel to Southampton. The HOHO bus seems your best bet.

I agree about the time issues. That said, when we were there we used a tour company called 'Classic England' - They were excellent, door to do service and custom itineraries. We used them for 3 days to explore not only London but the surrounding areas..

Unfortunately I don't have the itineraries anymore...

Keep in mind that the day you arrive is a day you might be tired from the time change and travel. We needed a nap before we set out sightseeing. You have a tight schedule for sightseeing because Monday will be lost to checkout and travel to Southampton. The HOHO bus seems your best bet.
Mom33 makes a good point. John and I are among those who are determined to see everything possible in the time we have in a city. However, we have learned that (no matter how much sleep we get on the plane) it is best to take it a little easy the first day. We find visiting outdoor sights (e.g., botanical gardens) where we can walk around and get some sunlight is the best way for us to adjust to the inevitable jet lag. If we can stay up until 8 or 9 p.m. that first day, we are then good to go at full speed on the following day.

As PamCA says there is a huge amount to see in London. We will be making our second visit in October and have barely scratched the surface. If you only have one day, you can probably see a lot from the HOHO bus, but I doubt you will have any time to get off and actually visit any of the sights.

Something we have found useful is the "London Pass." It has saved us quite a bit of money on admission charges, but the best part is the "skip the line" feature. Because you are visiting on a weekend in the summer, you might spend a lot of time waiting in line. Even if you don't think a pass would work for you, you might look at the web site to get an idea of places to visit, how much they cost, and where they are in relation to each other. http://www.londonpass.com/

Another really useful site is http://www.londontoolkit.com/mnu/london_tours.htm

Hope that helps!

We arrive noon on a Saturday and board ship on Monday so possibly could do both? Also trying to decide if the Military Tattoo would be worth the price of $799 for VIP seating.

Confused in CA:(

Ignoring the fact that there is no way that you can see London in a few hours or even a few days (we are planning to spend 7 days in London only post cruise and are going crazy trying to figure out what to see) , consider the logistics of trying to do the Military Tattoo. You get into London at noon on Saturday and have to be on the ship on Monday. That give you one full day (Sunday) and 2 half days. The Military Tattoo is in Edinburgh which is 405 miles or 6 hours 43 minutes each way from London except that on Monday you need to go further from London to catch your cruise.

Do not think that it will work!!

DON

We went in to London (from Toronto) for two days prior to our cruise. We took a redeye and literally hit the tarmac running. We booked into our hotel (The Parklane), walked to Picadilly Sq and hopped on the hop on/hop off bus. We got off and on at almost every stop and we managed to squeeze a lot in that day. Our bus pass was still good the next day so we hopped back on in the morning as soon as buses began running and headed to The Eye, we had prepurchased tickets so we had no waiting in line. It was worth the money for the view. We then continued on the Hop on until our pass ran out and then we continued on foot. It was a great way to see London and it didn't feel totally rushed, we still had time for shopping at Harrod's!

Enjoy London, you won't be sorry. The Hop on gives you a history and the sights are wonderful.

So sorry not to have been clearer; the Military Tattoo would be on one of our stops during the cruise, not before.

Is the price you stated for the Tatoo an excursion through Princess? Edinburgh is a tender port and we missed it on our cruise due to poor seas for tendering.

The only way you would be refunded is if Princess couldn't make port. I don't know about private tours.

Here's another vote for the HOHO bus in London!

On Saturday, after you get to your hotel, I would do something simple. You'll be tired from the long flight:)

Grab a taxi or take "The Tube" and go to one of the big shopping districts or something specific you want to visit.

You could even get tickets for that evening to a show.

Then on your full day I would do the Hop On Hop Off bus.

Research the main attractions in London and determine where you want to "hop off"

The museums are free - there is a place for a donation as you leave.

Having been to London many times, I agree that for a weekend, the HOHO bus is your best option. Sundays are actually a great day to do the bus tour since traffic tends to be lighter. Since you can't do everything, consider your priorities and where they're located--i.e. you can do Westminster Abby, the London Eye and the Churchill War Rooms fairly easily together since they're within walking distance of each other. As Pam said, you can easily take the Thames river cruise from Westminster pier to the Tower of London and tour the Tower--be sure to take the Beefeaters tour--they make the history come alive. If you prefer churches and museums, you can visit St. Paul's Cathedral and walk across the Millenium Bridge to the Tate Modern art gallery--Shakespeare's Globe theatre is also close by. I would not try to combine this with a tour of the Cotswolds since your time is so limited. Spend you time in London and don't miss getting Theatre tickets for Saturday or Sunday evening if you enjoy plays. London theatres are topnotch. Enjoy--London is a fabulous place and I predict that you'll be back for a longer stay next time:)

Thank you to all for such helpful suggestions. We will definitely be staying in London, perhaps returning to see Cotswolds sometime. Thanks for the referrals of tour companies; I have already contacted them for quotes. Such a wonderful thing to be able to ask hundreds of people questions about cruising!

Grateful Nina

I am about to do a land trip to London and "only" have 10 days. Purchased the Hop On Hop off and discovered that the option for two days rather than one is much more economical. Can also do the London Pass. Worth noting that museums are generally free, but the Tower, Westminster Abbey and other churches etc are quite expensive. If those are high on your list go with the London Pass plus Travel. If the museums are more to your taste, HOHO will take you to the Victoria and Albert, National Gallery, Tate, Portrait Gallery etc. The online research will make you dizzy, but the public transit is well laid out and it's English speaking, so I would not lay out money for a private tour.

I purchased our tickets for the HOHO bus online and saved a few GBP.

The HOHO has 3 routes, good for 24 hour period and has a Thames river cruise included. There are 2 HOHO companies and both do the same routes.

After our cruise, we had 2 & 1/2 days in London. We started on the 1/2 day, we took 1 route without getting off, switched to another route without getting before it finished for the night and the next day took the 3rd route to the Tower of London, did the river cruise and then finished the 3rd route.

The HOHO gives you an overlook of London and then you can go back to what interests you.

Nothing much fresh to add, just condensing the advice you already have.

Stick to central London this time round.

There are two ho-ho providers, each has an identical primary "red route" plus secondary routes & add-ons. A round-trip on a red route takes a couple of hours & after a red-eye flight is a very relaxing way to get a narrated overview of everything & a general idea of the geography. Next morning, until your 24 hr ticket expires you can try a different route or river cruise or walking tour, or stop off at some of the sights, then get around by tube, regular fare-stage buses and shanks's.

Choice of hotel might dictate which ho-ho provider you use, one may have a more convenient secondary/feeder route.

As a group of six, the total cost of the ho-ho tickets would go a long way toward the cost of a private tour, but I still think ho-ho is the better option because of the flexibility on time, and the flexibility for group members to branch off at any time & do their own thing, depending on their differing energy levels & interests, and the differing effects of jet-lag.

Bear in mind that enjoyment of the Edinburgh tattoo can be adversely affected by the weather. It has been known to rain in Scotland ;)

Are those VIP seats covered???????

JB :)

As to the Military Tattoo, our ship (Celebrity Infinity) offers a variety of options on seating for under $200 per person, including the transportation from Greenock & back. They also offer the $799 per person VIP package, but they don't really make a compelling reason as to why you'd need to spend it. The tour description doesn't spell out what makes it VIP and what makes it worth $500 more. If you're looking at ship's excursions to the Tattoo, better make sure it is truly worth it before writing that check! We are taking the excursion, but not the VIP version. We are typically DIY tourists, but I think the distance from port (Greenock) and the timing of the event makes it worth the added confidence of a ship's tour.

Apparently there is a new player in town - Golden Tours.

http://www.goldentours.com/London/Open_Top_Bus_Tours

Can't vouch for them, but they seem a bit cheaper.

Being the new kid on the ho-ho block, they have a low customer-base - and consequently low frequency - intervals of 30 to 60 minutes, compared to the other two's 5 to 15 min frequency.

Even so, they has been slated on TripAdvisor for failing to even keep to their advertised frequency. Only one route (a second route is effectively half of the other route, hence the advertised frequency being 30 mins for some places, 60 mins for others). They don't issue maps, and a complaint that their river cruise is one-way thus involving cost to return. And apparently their fleet is very second-hand, and it shows.

It's a big big market to venture into, against well-established opposition. Can't help thinking they needed to invest a great deal more, & allow for a couple of years loss-making by providing at least the same service as the others while they built their reputation and clientele.

Cos they're rapidly building a poor reputation.

JB :)

Archived