No more film camera...

framer

Well I leave tonight to catch a cruise in LA on Saturday. My beloved Nikon F6 is staying home along with a Nikkor 70 - 200 vr and a few other goodies. I'm going to work on panos this trip and the pano head and tripod was enough to transport, something had to be left.

Here's a 360 that I practiced doing, it printed 17" x 96". It was taken with a Nikon D3s w/ a old AIS manual 28mm f2.8 lens. I prefer the manual doing panos.

pano-cc.jpg

framer

• 2 weeks later...

Well got back from a great CA cruise last night and just finnishes the 1st pano. This is a 12 shot of the Golden Gate Bridge as we sailed out.

ggpano.jpg

Taken with a Nikon D3s w/105 DC AF F2. It will print 16 x 82 @ 300DPI. The camera was in a vertical position.

A few more to be posted later...

framer

Here's #2 it's SF at sail away. Also taken with the 105, just as I took the 1st shot I spotted a bird in the center of the image. I then was able to time each shot with the same bird in the center of each shot. I got a touch of movement on some as I got rushed keeping up with the bird.

sfpano.jpg

This one will print 20 x 86.5 inches @ 300DPI 11 images shot in the vertical position. There is a bird between the 1st @ 3rd bird but in this small image it's hard to see as it flew low in ground clutter, look hard.

framer

I'm really happy with skipping the film camera and working on pano's. The quality it stunning compaired to a ultra wide angle shot.

The two largest are now printed and I'm framing them today.

framer

Those are great! There are some things that just can't be captured in a wide angle shot and beg to be made into a panorama.

I'm taking a Sony digital camera that can shoot a full 360º panorama with me on my June cruise.

JM

Well got back from a great CA cruise last night and just finnishes the 1st pano. This is a 12 shot of the Golden Gate Bridge as we sailed out.

Taken with a Nikon D3s w/105 DC AF F2. It will print 16 x 82 @ 300DPI. The camera was in a vertical position.

A few more to be posted later...

framer

Wow. That is a perspective of the GG Bridge that I have never seen before. That is impressive, especially since your position is moving away from the subject matter. You must have worked very fast. How long did it take you to shoot the series of 12 shots? Did the movement of the ship away from the GG while you shot affect how the individual captures lined up in post?

I did shoot it fast, about 10 seconds total. Let call that one "escape completely" as it features Alcatraz in the center and the boat wake going away.

"Did the movement of the ship away from the GG while you shot affect how the individual captures lined up in post?"

No.

I found that Pano's need to be taken in manual so the exposure does not change from image to image. I also set my focus point and lock it for the whole sequence.

I did run into an issue with the city pano w/the bird because I was shooting perpendicular to the ships movement. That took several hours to fix manually in photoshop.

framer

This is a 6 shot pano of Alcatraz taken with a 400mm f2.8 from pier 39 by the sea lions. The Alkatraz above was taken from the ship during sail in from a high deck using a 105mm.

alcatraz400.jpg

100% crop alcatrz-z.jpg

framer

This was taken in SB at a wine tasting. If you click on the link below the photo it will open the full size file for you to view. It will print 42 inches if you print it out.

sm-sb.jpg

http://www.thegrumble.com/ak/lg-sb.jpg

After you click on the link and the photo is displayed, you might have to click again on the image to bring it to full size as your browser make it fit to the screen when 1st shown.

Taken with a Nikon D3s 17-35@35 6 shot pano.

framer

Archived