First and last Royal Caribbean cruise?

Pris13

Live from the Allure - this is my first cruise with Royal Caribbean and I read the boards for quite some time. I came into this with a very open mind and hoped to love every minute of it. I read negative and positive reviews with a grain of salt because I know nothing can be everything to everyone.

First problem - I enrolled in the unlimited Internet because I needed it for work. I was very careful because I had researched in advance knowing I would need this for my job. The second day came and internet was cut off. When I went to the desk I was told I enrolled for only a day. I know this is incorrect because I was asked to approve the amount before the order was complete. Doesn't matter I have to purchase another account and am given only a 15 dollar credit. I make my husband enroll at the the desk because I want no further questions in what I enrolled for. Next thing we know the Internet access we are paying for is down for over 24 hours, hopefully this does not continue.

We purchase the drink package - despite the fact my husband and I almost always tip an additional $2 per drink (not per order for the two of us - $2.00 per each drink) our service is mediocre at best.

The table we are assigned in the dining room is one of the worst areas ever I have been assigned without a doubt for the late dinner seating. Only three of us show up for a table of eight. The rest of the passengers are too rude to correctly plan their dining. The staff does try however due to trying to entertain a screaming child at an 8:30 seating I can't even get another piece of bread.

We try to relax in the Solorium and every time I look there is another screaming crying child in the area and no one tells the parents that children under 16 are not allowed.

I will say that we booked the excursions thought the ship and this was a very good thing. There is an idiot carrying a stuffed dog our entire cruise. We booked the aerial canopy zip line and bobsled tour in Jamaica. He was not on our bus when we left the ship, but suddenly i see him at the venue. The tour was good but very, very disorganized. At the end we were on the bus and our guide tells us that two people had been late for our tour, but another bus delivered them. She had told them what they needed to do, but rather than do as she said they went to do something else else and were just now getting outfitted for the zip line. We are due back at the ship in a little over an hour and a half and it is an hour drive. I look at my nusband and tell him it is the idiot with the dog.

Our guide keeps apologizing over and over as we sit there for another 45 minutes. Finally the two guys show up and it is the idiot carrying the dog. Our driver takes off like a bat out of he--, gets pulled for speeding and we joke with him he should come to the US and drive for NASCAR. We get to the dock and we are so late they wave the driver onto the sidewalk and he tears through the market at Falmouth scattering screaming people left and right. Mr. Idiot and his "dog" calmly stroll aboard without a care in the world while the rest of us are left shaking our heads.

As I am typing this a drunken old fool comes into the Solorium bar smoking a cigar and complains with the staff when they tell him this is not allowed until this evening. I am the one that finally end up telling him rules are in place for a reason, that he is rude and needs to sober up and come back later.

The failure to enforce policies, rude behavior, general lack of handling of issues and the service level by the staff is making me say this is not the line for us. The Celebrity crowd seemed a bit old and quiet for us, but I think that is going to have to be our line of choice for the level of service we are used to.

Sorry for the terrible experience. However, with a ship carrying almost 6,000 people, you never know if the ship for that particular week will have nice, pleasant, and friendly people, staff, with great service and food, etc, or just the opposite. We always felt that if we don't go on a cruise with a wide open thought process, we will never be happy and let these others ruin our fun. We've been on many many different cruise lines and ships, with some great and some like a bad movie.

Unfortunately, this particular ship and date of your cruise wasn't up to your expectations. I wonder if it was that way for everyone, or, if you just had some bad luck. I will say that we have cruised both RCCL and Celebrity many times, and for our personalities, we prefer Celebrity, but only because the people that seem to cruise with them are a bit older and the atmosphere is more relaxed and quiet.

Hopefully, this won't happen to you again. Good Luck.

Dave

Have you spoked to the Maitre d' about changing tables?

Did you report the under age child in the solarium? If the under age child was really bothering me, I would have politely asked the family to move to the family pool. If they refused I would calmly point out that I could call security and have them removed.

As for the bartendering, I find that if I go out of the way to create a connection with a bartender, the service improves. Sometimes it can take me a day or so to find the right ambiance and stick with one or two bars.

Live from the Allure - this is my first cruise with Royal Caribbean and I read the boards for quite some time. I came into this with a very open mind and hoped to love every minute of it. I read negative and positive reviews with a grain of salt because I know nothing can be everything to everyone.

First problem - I enrolled in the unlimited Internet because I needed it for work. I was very careful because I had researched in advance knowing I would need this for my job. The second day came and internet was cut off. When I went to the desk I was told I enrolled for only a day. I know this is incorrect because I was asked to approve the amount before the order was complete. Doesn't matter I have to purchase another account and am given only a 15 dollar credit. I make my husband enroll at the the desk because I want no further questions in what I enrolled for. Next thing we know the Internet access we are paying for is down for over 24 hours, hopefully this does not continue.

We purchase the drink package - despite the fact my husband and I almost always tip an additional $2 per drink (not per order for the two of us - $2.00 per each drink) our service is mediocre at best.

The table we are assigned in the dining room is one of the worst areas ever I have been assigned without a doubt for the late dinner seating. Only three of us show up for a table of eight. The rest of the passengers are too rude to correctly plan their dining. The staff does try however due to trying to entertain a screaming child at an 8:30 seating I can't even get another piece of bread.

We try to relax in the Solorium and every time I look there is another screaming crying child in the area and no one tells the parents that children under 16 are not allowed.

I will say that we booked the excursions thought the ship and this was a very good thing. There is an idiot carrying a stuffed dog our entire cruise. We booked the aerial canopy zip line and bobsled tour in Jamaica. He was not on our bus when we left the ship, but suddenly i see him at the venue. The tour was good but very, very disorganized. At the end we were on the bus and our guide tells us that two people had been late for our tour, but another bus delivered them. She had told them what they needed to do, but rather than do as she said they went to do something else else and were just now getting outfitted for the zip line. We are due back at the ship in a little over an hour and a half and it is an hour drive. I look at my nusband and tell him it is the idiot with the dog.

Our guide keeps apologizing over and over as we sit there for another 45 minutes. Finally the two guys show up and it is the idiot carrying the dog. Our driver takes off like a bat out of he--, gets pulled for speeding and we joke with him he should come to the US and drive for NASCAR. We get to the dock and we are so late they wave the driver onto the sidewalk and he tears through the market at Falmouth scattering screaming people left and right. Mr. Idiot and his "dog" calmly stroll aboard without a care in the world while the rest of us are left shaking our heads.

As I am typing this a drunken old fool comes into the Solorium bar smoking a cigar and complains with the staff when they tell him this is not allowed until this evening. I am the one that finally end up telling him rules are in place for a reason, that he is rude and needs to sober up and come back later.

The failure to enforce policies, rude behavior, general lack of handling of issues and the service level by the staff is making me say this is not the line for us. The Celebrity crowd seemed a bit old and quiet for us, but I think that is going to have to be our line of choice for the level of service we are used to.

Yikes! Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Wow, this simply doesn't sound like the same ship I left 4 days ago...what the @#{&£ have you done to her??:p

My review starts tomorrow; no cigars or babies in the Solarium (spent a ton of time there) on Allure, I'm not sure how regular dining tables work ( we do MTD) because there are so many specialty restaurants, lots of folks skip 2,3 or more nights and then they won't turn up at their assigned table. As for a bad excursion, it happens...we had one guy go on a bus excursion with us in CR (not Royal) and disappeared at the Gold Museum, we finally had to leave the guy!

My guess is you really don't like rubbing elbows with humanity, I'd suggest a far, far smaller ship- don't even try a " small " Celebrity, or Royal ship- there are still too many people for you, go for one with 300-500 people where the staff is 2 to 1 and they will very quickly figure you out for who you are and do their level best to insulate you from all humanity!

Best of luck with your next cruise!:D

Wow! All I can say is that we loved the Allure. I am sorry for your experience. That is certainly alot of money to spend and not find enjoyment in anything you have done so far. :(

We only ate in the MDR once. We bought a dining package and enjoyed the specialty venues.:)

I must tell you, though, I am a nurse and I take care of all walks of life. I find it sad when people jump to conclusions about others based on what they see alone. I am not criticizing you. You are allowed to feel the way you do, but just remember, you really don't know what perspective others come from until you get to know them a little and you can never control the actions of others-only your own.:)

I sincerely hope that you can find something redeeming for the rest of your cruise.

Tara

I am always amazed when someone comes here and starts a topic like the OP did, and how fast the cool-aid drinkers come out with a vengeance....

Everything He/She said, I have experienced one time or another, AND THEN SOME!....just never all in one day!!

But you never know...all the cosmic gears can come together if only once in a lifetime.....I just hope it never happens to me....

Yes you can change tables, yes you can speak with the head waiter, yes you can report kids in the solarium, etc, etc....but who wants to spend the whole day of their cruise vacation going around trying to correct - remedy things???

just saying....

Just to weigh in.... it seems to me that the problems are more passenger based and not Royal Caribbean based. The missing diners can simply be that they are at other venues or don't want to dine in the MDR. I agree, that is why when my wife and I cruise alone, we request a table for 2. Nothing worse than being at a table for 8 by yourselves. As for rude passengers, well... what is Royal Caribbean to do? In my experience the crews seem to do everything they can to please, even those who are "ugly" to them.

I suspect that the OP will find it more to her liking on a cruise that is more "sedate" than Royal Caribbean. Celebrity, from what I hear, is a better fit. Or perhaps HAL. I love Royal Caribbean and love Allure and Oasis. I simply don't sweat the small stuff. We had some rude passengers on an excursion once. The bus broke down and they were yelling at the driver. Wasn't much the driver could do. But it didn't ruin my cruise. You can focus on the positives or the negatives. I choose the positives.

We're leaving next week for another cruise, and, after being on 26 of them, I can say that everyone of them has been different in some way, shape or form. Has everything been perfect? No. But as they say, it's all what you make of it. Some people that in my opinion might be acting in a way I disapprove, might not even think twice about it. So, if I get all bent out of shape, I'm the one that is miserable, and those people are still oblivious to it.

We just have fun, enjoy each others company and are very thankful, we can even go on a cruise, when so many people can't even leave there own home town for any real vacation. My attitude is to act like I'm still in school and studying all of the different people of the world, and, if some are different, so be it. And, as far as dining is concerned, I place my mind that I'm attending a big bowling banquet. That way, if everything isn't quite up to expectations, I just figure preparing food for so many people like at a bowling banquet is difficult, so sit and just enjoy all of the food you get at just one setting. It sure beats fast food.

Life is what you make it. I've been someone who created my own misery in my past. I refuse to live that way anymore. Funny thing is, with my current attitude I've adored every vacation and cruise I've been on, despite a few setbacks, regardless of mistake or two on the part of the line, and even when dealing with the folks onboard who'd be better off on Carnival.

Speaking of Carnival OP, I hear they have some great deals right now... and with everyone being leery of booking with them the wait to complain about everyone and everything at the front desk should be really short.

You've got lemons. You can make lemonade or suck it.

I must tell you, though, I am a nurse and I take care of all walks of life. I find it sad when people jump to conclusions about others based on what they see alone. I am not criticizing you. You are allowed to feel the way you do, but just remember, you really don't know what perspective others come from until you get to know them a little and you can never control the actions of others-only your own.:)

I sincerely hope that you can find something redeeming for the rest of your cruise.

Tara

Good advice for those that are attacking the OP, too. Especially, those resorting to name calling.

I'm going to guess the stuffed dog alone didn't cause the OP to label someone an idiot. Both missing the bus to and delaying the bus from the excursion? That is kind of over the top, yes?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

We are on the Allure in a little over 2 weeks and reading your mini negative review does not make me bat an eye. Those things you describe would be so trival to me. We dont sweat the small stuff. ;)

I dont understand what the big deal is about not going to the main dinning room. We are leaving for a 9 day cruise next week and only plan on going to main dinning once. I am on vacation and dont feel like dressing up every night and main dinning room is just not our thing

Did you ever think that maybe the person carrying the stuffed dog might have been carrying it for a school project? When our son was in grade school we went away during school. His teacher asked us if we would take the class stuffed animal with us. She asked us to take many pictures of this stuffed animal and bring the pictures back to the class. The class was able to see just where this stuffed animal was on its vacation. It was an amazing thing to do. The children loved it. This stuffed animal did a lot of traveling around the world.

Live from the Allure.

Mr. Idiot and his "dog" calmly stroll aboard without a care in the world while the rest of us are left shaking our heads.

Sounds like he could give some R&R lessons to the uptight folks.

I wish I could take my dogs on board:

021_18A-1.jpg.321f9c2c19a9c9c1669a00de54710407.jpg

Archived