First and last Royal Caribbean cruise?

Pris13

So anyway to play devils advocate (for the OP). Lets put ourselves in her shoes. Her employer is demanding that she work from the ship. What if she is a columnist for a major newspaper and can't get her deadline met and her boss has had it with her shenanigans. Lots of stress there.

And she was so wanting to trade the days cruising experience with new and interesting tablemates and when no one came, she felt robbed.

Just like all of us we have expectations and sometime when things don't go as plan, one just needs to vent.

Overall, I bet she really had a good time. The idiot and the dog is just a metaphor for future story telling. Just like when we tell about the cruise such as, "girl peeing on the deck or fatty that blocked the buffet or loser that missed the ship".

The problem isn't really the issues per say.....the problem is that most of the issues noted are not the cruise lines fault....it's seems to me to simply be a case where there are people that are rude or not following rules. I don't see how you can blame RCCL for most of this.....

The cruise line definitely should enforce the rules they put in place. Children in the Solarium, shame on RCI for not rectifying that situation. Smoking in the the wrong place/time, shame on RCI for not stepping right up and correcting that also. A large table with less than half of the seats taken, the Head Waiter should at least ask passengers if they want to be moved-what else do they do to earn their $0.75 per pax/day tip?

The less we hold the cruise line accountable for, the less they will provide.

TnT

To the OP...I really do hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

But I do have to say, from the tone of your post you seem a little on the judgmental side. Wonder what the other judgmental people on your cruise were thinking/saying about you?

I have been on many cruises. I have seen and heard situations that were not great on some of my cruises. But the good far outweighs the bad. That is why I keep cruising.

I guess I am selfish. While I do notice others and are sometimes entertained or annoyed by them, I am generally having so much fun and/or relaxing that no action from anyone else will infringe on that!

I am on the same cruise with you and we are having a great time! Must be something wrong with one of us. We've been on the oasis/allure four times and we have no complaints. We also cruise about four times a year on all different lines, so we are seasoned travellers. Relax and enjoy a great ship.

Kids in adult areas really annoy me (more than any of the other problems the OP has encountered) but the RCI site does say that the Solarium may be opened to children under the supervision of parents from time to time depending on the situation, so the cruise line may have still been following its policy in this case.

Hope the OP does enjoy the cruise. I know we were on a short Princess Dawn cruise and really decided that we it was not the ship for us (and as the Australian ships are a similar standard we would probably say it was our first and last Princess cruise in Australia).

Live from the Allure - this is my first cruise with Royal Caribbean and I read the boards for quite some time. I came into this with a very open mind and hoped to love every minute of it. I read negative and positive reviews with a grain of salt because I know nothing can be everything to everyone.

First problem - I enrolled in the unlimited Internet because I needed it for work. I was very careful because I had researched in advance knowing I would need this for my job. The second day came and internet was cut off. When I went to the desk I was told I enrolled for only a day. I know this is incorrect because I was asked to approve the amount before the order was complete. Doesn't matter I have to purchase another account and am given only a 15 dollar credit. I make my husband enroll at the the desk because I want no further questions in what I enrolled for. Next thing we know the Internet access we are paying for is down for over 24 hours, hopefully this does not continue.

We purchase the drink package - despite the fact my husband and I almost always tip an additional $2 per drink (not per order for the two of us - $2.00 per each drink) our service is mediocre at best.

The table we are assigned in the dining room is one of the worst areas ever I have been assigned without a doubt for the late dinner seating. Only three of us show up for a table of eight. The rest of the passengers are too rude to correctly plan their dining. The staff does try however due to trying to entertain a screaming child at an 8:30 seating I can't even get another piece of bread.

We try to relax in the Solorium and every time I look there is another screaming crying child in the area and no one tells the parents that children under 16 are not allowed.

I will say that we booked the excursions thought the ship and this was a very good thing. There is an idiot carrying a stuffed dog our entire cruise. We booked the aerial canopy zip line and bobsled tour in Jamaica. He was not on our bus when we left the ship, but suddenly i see him at the venue. The tour was good but very, very disorganized. At the end we were on the bus and our guide tells us that two people had been late for our tour, but another bus delivered them. She had told them what they needed to do, but rather than do as she said they went to do something else else and were just now getting outfitted for the zip line. We are due back at the ship in a little over an hour and a half and it is an hour drive. I look at my nusband and tell him it is the idiot with the dog.

Our guide keeps apologizing over and over as we sit there for another 45 minutes. Finally the two guys show up and it is the idiot carrying the dog. Our driver takes off like a bat out of he--, gets pulled for speeding and we joke with him he should come to the US and drive for NASCAR. We get to the dock and we are so late they wave the driver onto the sidewalk and he tears through the market at Falmouth scattering screaming people left and right. Mr. Idiot and his "dog" calmly stroll aboard without a care in the world while the rest of us are left shaking our heads.

As I am typing this a drunken old fool comes into the Solorium bar smoking a cigar and complains with the staff when they tell him this is not allowed until this evening. I am the one that finally end up telling him rules are in place for a reason, that he is rude and needs to sober up and come back later.

The failure to enforce policies, rude behavior, general lack of handling of issues and the service level by the staff is making me say this is not the line for us. The Celebrity crowd seemed a bit old and quiet for us, but I think that is going to have to be our line of choice for the level of service we are used to.

I think you should go to guest services and tell someone is in the solarium and they need to leave. I have to admit, we were on a rccl cruise w/ my kids and the hot tubs stopped working except the solarium and I took my daughter in there (almost) 16, they said "Get Out"..... I hope you'll try rccl again b/c this just doesn't sound like them. But, w/ rules, I don't think ANYBODY goes by rules anymore, not just on a cruiseship. At work, people come in late, take off early, don't answer the phone, don't greet customers, lazy and get someone else to do the job, etc, I could go on. Try and have a good time, rccl will take care of you. I just speak up when things don't go my way or the RIGHT way. I had a grown man cut in front of me at starbucks (not on ship) and I said "HEY,,,,,,, " a grown man, see rude people are everywhere. Sorry you trip isn't going well.

I'm so sorry you had such an unfortunate experience. I too had the worst cruise I have ever had in my life the first time I went on Royal Caribbean. Starting with my reservation almost being canceled, my luggage getting lost and NO cabin service at all until the last day of the cruise. There were so many things awful that happened and we finally ended up in the Hotel Director's office on the last day of our cruise. The HD said to us, "on a ship that holds over 2000 thousand people, these things can and do happened, however never to just two people." He was very nice and we decided to cruise on Royal again and give it another try. Tomorrow I leave on the Oasis of the Seas on my 133rd Royal Caribbean cruise. So you never know.

Good luck to you, and I am so sorry you had those awful experiences.

Rev

Everyone has blasted the OP for being rude and name calling, and then 90% of the responses are...rude and name calling.

I would be annoyed as well if I paid big money for an internet package that didn't work. Being in the middle of the ocean, though, I would not have high expectations for a great connection. I would politely ask for a credit at Guest Services.

If an excursion held you up that much, and you booked through the ship, I would complain about that as well. I do NOT like getting back at the last moment (even on a ship-sponsored excursion) and that would have stressed me out, for sure. Not to mention, it would have left no time for a little shopping in the port before re boarding. Again, a visit to Guest Services should address that.

For the issues in the MDR, you can't let your happiness hinge on the actions of others...switch tables, or maybe enjoy some alternative dining locations while you have the chance!

I hope the rest of your trip goes well and you have some good memories to take away.

I'm sorry you had such a miserable time on the Allure. I have found that when something is going on that I don't agree with (as in against the rules) I will speak up right then and there. I'm the littlest one in the crowd but I can also be the boldest one. I'm not saying be rude to anyone that you are complaining too but be firm and state your case. Have you attempted this at all?

As far as the table mates, I've sailed on many ships at bigger tables and the others don't show up the entire week. Don't give it a second though, it's nothing to get uptight about. Many folks just simply don't do the dining room. The Allure has many many places to eat dinner at.

For the remaining of your cruise, just sit back, take a deep breath and try to enjoy it. It goes by very quickly. Don't sweat the small stuff. There are idiots everywhere, this isn't anything new.

I'm so sorry you had such an unfortunate experience. I too had the worst cruise I have ever had in my life the first time I went on Royal Caribbean. Starting with my reservation almost being canceled, my luggage getting lost and NO cabin service at all until the last day of the cruise. There were so many things awful that happened and we finally ended up in the Hotel Director's office on the last day of our cruise. The HD said to us, "on a ship that holds over 2000 thousand people, these things can and do happened, however never to just two people." He was very nice and we decided to cruise on Royal again and give it another try. Tomorrow I leave on the Oasis of the Seas on my 133rd Royal Caribbean cruise. So you never know.

Good luck to you, and I am so sorry you had those awful experiences.

Rev

Great story!! I do hope, the rest of the OP's cruise goes well for her. BTW, I have a really well adjusted and intelligent friend that takes a stuffed monkey to his trips, just for fun!!! He takes pictures of "Marcel", everywhere he goes with his family. I find it funny and amusing. :D:D

Sounds like he could give some R&R lessons to the uptight folks.

I wish I could take my dogs on board:

I wish you could too!! I always miss mine while onboard. To the OP .... wow ... just wow. I have a friend sailing this week on the Allure and she called me the other day to tell me how much fun she was having. Maybe Cunard is more to your liking?

I think the OP is mainly just venting right now and she will start getting into the swing of things. In 2 days, it will be our first trip on Allure. While I am very excited, I also anticipate crowds sometime (come on, 6,000 people on one ship, there's bound to be a crowd somewhere), rude people, crying children, and people who have had way too much to drink. But I also anticipate smiling, friendly fellow passengers, happy, laughing children, and people who are loud because they are having a blast. It's all in your perception of things. I, for one, will have a great time. I know what I am getting into. Thanks to all of you on cruise critic, I know pretty much what to expect and the ups and downs of cruising. I will write a full review when I get back.

For the remaining of your cruise, just sit back, take a deep breath and try to enjoy it. It goes by very quickly. Don't sweat the small stuff. There are idiots everywhere, this isn't anything new.

Amen! And it always seems there are negative, uphappy and demanding people everywhere you go too. If the OP would have tried to have a better attitude, the effects of the bad stuff happening probably wouldn't have seemed so severe as they made it out to be.

On a side note, it's never a good idea to try and do work while on a cruise when internet connections are never 100% guaranteed. You're in the middle of the ocean, what do you expect? I would never promise my boss to do work while on vacation. What's the point of taking a vacation if you're working during the whole thing??! I would wait until I could spend my vacation time doing NO work. After spending that kind of money the last thing I'd want is to be on a computer working :(

Was that really necessary? Everyone needs to vent at one time or another....everyone seems so outraged by the op's original posts but some responses have been just as insensitive.

Rc DOES need to enforce their rules....we saw a baby with a diaper put in the hot tub....i discreetly went to an employee....he shrugged his shoulders at me.....I couldn't believe it! It was a port day and the pool area was very sparse....I found another employee and told them of the situation, they immediately took care of it....but of course the culprits saw me talking to the second guy and knew I was the "pool police" as they called me....along with some other expletives.....it wasn't fun being verbally attacked by another passenger in full view of others.... to be fair a couple of others stepped in and told the young parents that they were out of line....they told them to **** off as well! If the 1st employee would have done his job this would not have happened. Did it ruin my entire vacation? No.....did I feel uncomfortable every time I saw that family....yes!

To the op.... I hope things turned around for you and you had a nice time....but no cruise will be perfect.....

I agree. While the OP was bit overboard in their post and sounds like someone I would not particularly like to cruise with, they do have a point in that Royal does not enforce their rules consistently. This leaves those that are being impacted negatively by the rule breakers in the position of speaking up or "sucking it up". I do try to let things go when on vacation, but when it becomes uncomfortable because others are breaking the rules, you just have to speak up.

Thanks for the story, it just shows where the holes in the rules are :(.

On a side note, it's never a good idea to try and do work while on a cruise when internet connections are never 100% guaranteed. You're in the middle of the ocean, what do you expect?

I would not actually be surprised by poor internet reliability on a cruise, because I've read many comments about it here. However, I would otherwise expect that the middle of the ocean would be an ideal place for good satellite internet reception, as there are no building or trees or mountains to block a direct path from antenna to sky. :cool:

I happen to agree with the OP that people who are planning to eat in alternate places for more than one night should choose MTD, not traditional MDR. The same thing happened to us, where we were at a table for 12, but only our family of 4 showed up every night. We sat awkwardly on one side of the table, and it was very hard to converse with each other. However, the head waiter did offer to move us, but that table location was much less desirable. They said that our table couldn't be converted to a 4 top because it was unknown if the other people would ever show up.

I also agree that the non-smoking and the adult area rules should be enforced, as well as the no seat reserving policy. (On our Princess cruise, there was activities staff people in the theatres making sure that people didn't leave single seats between parties, and that no seats were reserved)

I happen to agree with the OP that people who are planning to eat in alternate places for more than one night should choose MTD, not traditional MDR. The same thing happened to us, where we were at a table for 12, but only our family of 4 showed up every night. We sat awkwardly on one side of the table, and it was very hard to converse with each other. However, the head waiter did offer to move us, but that table location was much less desirable. They said that our table couldn't be converted to a 4 top because it was unknown if the other people would ever show up.

I also agree that the non-smoking and the adult area rules should be enforced, as well as the no seat reserving policy. (On our Princess cruise, there was activities staff people in the theatres making sure that people didn't leave single seats between parties, and that no seats were reserved)

I can see how first time cruisers on Oasis or Allure would book traditional dining, have every intention of eating in the MDR and then after boarding finding so many tempting places to try instead.

I can see how first time cruisers on Oasis or Allure would book traditional dining, have every intention of eating in the MDR and then after boarding finding so many tempting places to try instead.

I suppose. (This happened to us on Explorer, not Allure.)

Originally Posted by Pris13 viewpost.gif

Live from the Allure - this is my first cruise with Royal Caribbean and I read the boards for quite some time. I came into this with a very open mind and hoped to love every minute of it. I read negative and positive reviews with a grain of salt because I know nothing can be everything to everyone.

First problem - I enrolled in the unlimited Internet because I needed it for work. I was very careful because I had researched in advance knowing I would need this for my job.

Wrong, first problem is you have a job that won't allow you to unplug. No one is that important they can't unplug for a week.

Allure and Oasis are not representative of every Royal Caribbean ship. They are entities unto themselves. While I'm sure you will enjoy Celebrity, I wouldn't discount Royal based on your experience aboard one of the giant mega ships.

Exactly! If Allure was our first RCCL cruise it probably would have been our last RCCL cruise.

As I am typing this a drunken old fool comes into the Solorium bar smoking a cigar and complains with the staff when they tell him this is not allowed until this evening. I am the one that finally end up telling him rules are in place for a reason, that he is rude and needs to sober up and come back later.

OK, my first post on this thread disappeared. I thought I was making it light-hearted, but someone apparently thought it was inappropriate. But I was really curious about this statement. It sort of sounds like she's talking about the cigar, but on ships I've been on, smoking is never allowed in the Solarium, so evening shouldn't have anything to do with that. :confused:

I dont understand what the big deal is about not going to the main dinning room. We are leaving for a 9 day cruise next week and only plan on going to main dinning once. I am on vacation and dont feel like dressing up every night and main dinning room is just not our thing

Great illustration of "different strokes", our family's #1 activity on a cruise (with kids 10 & 12) is getting dressed up to go to the MDR every night -- every single night. It is literally the highlight of our day.

Back on topic, put me in the camp of those who think most are too hard on the OP. Cut her some slack.

Archived