La Guaira

rosinryanz

Fortunately, they have pulled it from the itinerary. They use to stop there to load up on crude oil since it was the cheapest in Venezuela. However, the port town is very poor and it and Caracas are quite dangerous to tourists. When we were last there a couple of years ago, the CD told us not to get off of the ship unless we were on an official tour. Even with official tours a couple of passengers were mugged in Caracas.

I'm looking foward to seeing Isla Margarita this winter!!

We did Isla Margarita last year. Its only a half day stop as GP left at 1pm. There is a "local" market set up on the pier and along towards a pristeen little beach with gently sloping beach. There were a few very early morning trips we didn't use them so I can not help any one there! Its very pretty but half a day is enough there nothing else near the pier.

If Golden stops at Isla Margarita on every cruise, then why do brochures and website still list La Guaira as the port of call?

Surely there are (crazy) people who will book the cruise becasue of La Guaira, and will be disappointed to find out later that the port is changed.

And I am one of them. I booked the Golden for next March and was not told they would not be stopping at Caracas.

My personalizer eventually showed the change in ports.

I have stayed in Caracas years ago and wanted to go back, but our safety is more important.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_tot_cri

1. United States: 23,677,800 crimes a year

2. Germany: 6,264,723 crimes a year

3. United Kingdom: 5,170,821 crimes a year

4. France: 3,771,849 crimes a year

5. South Africa: 3,422,743 crimes a year

13. Mexico: 1,363,709 crimes a year

22. New Zealand: 427,230 crimes a year

27. Norway: 330,071 crimes a year

30. Venezuela: 236,165 crimes a year

Statistically, as you can see, there are 100 times more crimes annually in the United States than in Venezuela.

Come on, that statistic compares total reported crimes. The population of the U.S. is way more than Venezuela. And while most crimes here get reported to authorities, do you really think every poor slob mugged in Venezuela actually reports it?

BobK/Orlando

:eek: Boy, do I feel dumb. I never looked at it from that perspective which really makes a lot of sense.

Archived