Dubrovnik Wall - guided

Hi, We are just trying to decide between a ship excursion or hiring a local guide for the Dubrovnik Wall walk and were wondering if anyone has used one of the local companies and have a recommendation. I have read some of the Dubrovnik merged questions thread but it is like finding a needle in a haystack. :)

Hi, We are just trying to decide between a ship excursion or hiring a local guide for the Dubrovnik Wall walk and were wondering if anyone has used one of the local companies and have a recommendation. I have read some of the Dubrovnik merged questions thread but it is like finding a needle in a haystack. :)

The thread is long and it began in 2009 and many entrance fees have changed. However our historical sites have not changed. The thread began as I noticed most of the photos of Dubrovnik posted online are titled 'Dubrovnik.' I thought it was sad that so many guests did not know anything about our town, other than it was Dubrovnik. I have always held the belief it is best to visit our town with a guide, learning about the history and hearing some of the lovely vignettes.

Yes I am certain that guests miss so much by allowing the myth of Dubrovnik being a DIY destination to flourish. Too many walk our Stradun, not knowing the paths are made from limestone, the town was demolished in the great earthquake of 1667 and only 3 buildings survive. It also boggles my mind that some do not even understand the 1991 homeland war, the town was not bombed, we were shelled from the mountain above.

So much to learn, so little time. Yes do hire a private guide and enjoy the limited amount of time you have in Dubrovnik.

I may have missed something, but we did the wall on our own and never wished for a guide from the ship or a private one.

Agree with the other posters that there is little or no need to hire or have a private guide for the wall walk. Maybe read a little of the Dubrovnik history prior to your trip and/or make a copy of the map for the area to take with you. Very easy to do on your own. Just hope for a day that is not too crowded and/or too hot. Below are some of my visual samples for what I saw in doing that great walk along the coastal/water side. Super wonderful experience.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 14,736 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 128,344 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

As seen from the high wall, here is Onofrio’s Large Fountain that sits near the Pile Gate and a church.:

DubvWaterRoundPileGate.jpg

From the walled walk, this shows one of the domed tower going up to one of the main corner towers at the highest point for wall surrounding the town.:

2DubvTowerKeyWallFlags.jpg

This is the Stradun or Placa, a 300 meter-long, limestone-paved, pedestrian main shopping street of Dubrovnik. Here is the view as it stretches through the walled town in the east-west direction, connecting the western entrance called the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate on the eastern end. Stradun became the city's main thoroughfare in the 13th century and its current appearance was mostly created following the 1667 earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings. Both ends are also marked with 15th-century fountains (Onofrio's Large Fountain in the western section and Onofrio's Small Fountain on the east end. There are also bell towers (the Dubrovnik Bell Tower to the west end and the bell tower attached to the Franciscan monastery to the east). The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. The Stradun and some of the surrounding houses were damaged in mortar shelling during the Siege of Dubrovnik in 1991–92 but most of the damage has been repaired. When you look at the tile roofs, you can see the difference between the older and newer based on that battle damage. Don’t miss walking the wall in this great town.

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

Here is a view along a portion of the Dubrovnik wall as it sits on top of the rocks, overlooking the water of the Adriatic Sea.: Facing the Adriatic Sea, this is one of the gates and passages along the walled walk. Very scenic!!:

4aDubrWallWalkGateWaterView.jpg

Here is Fort Lovrijenac or St. Lawrence Fortress. It is often called "Dubrovnik's Gibraltar" for the fortress and theater located outside the western wall of Dubrovnik. It is famous for its importance in resisting rule by Venice. Early in the 11th century the Venetians attempted to build a fort on the same spot where Fort Lovrijenac currently stands. If they had succeeded, they would have kept Dubrovnik under their power, but the people of the city beat them to it.

DubrovFortStLawrence_zpsa40c675c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see why you'd NEED a tour guide for the wall, it's easy to walk yourself and learn the history from a travel book. We traveled with a good book and conducted our own "tour." Lots of people we know got the headsets and enjoyed those. One word of warning -- if you aren't a fan of heights, watch out! There were some parts of the wall that had me ready to crawl I got so scared! It is high up there with some scary looking drop-offs!

I can't see why you'd NEED a tour guide for the wall, it's easy to walk yourself and learn the history from a travel book. We traveled with a good book and conducted our own "tour." Lots of people we know got the headsets and enjoyed those. One word of warning -- if you aren't a fan of heights, watch out! There were some parts of the wall that had me ready to crawl I got so scared! It is high up there with some scary looking drop-offs!

There are many travelers who prefer to use the services of a private guide when visiting a new country. It is their choice, as it was yours to buy a book and read about the sites.

The highest point on the wall is only 25 meters up, but there is always siding which protects unless you plan to climb out on the ledges.

Most posts on this thread are of the opinion that you do not need a guide for the wall walk. While I agree that it is easy to do on your own, I feel that you miss out on so much of the experience when you do not have a guide.

We had a guide when we walked the wall last September and it just made the experience"come alive" for us. Our guide had been through the war of 1991 and so offered a personal historical perspective and also told us about life in present day Dubrovnik. We felt a connection to the city and an understanding of the people in a way we would never have had if we did not have our wonderful guide.

I think there are two options in travel (and neither is wrong or right - you just have to pick what you personally want): you can see all the sights or you can go deeper and experience them.

Archived