Toilet Paper

spanky

Everyone's so mean. I was with the op thinking the tp they use is terrible and I assumed it was just because it was cheap. Plenty of public restrooms I've been in use similar stuff and they usually have industrial strength toilets. Now that people have pointed out the toilets clogging, that makes sense. But no need to be so rude about it. That isn't common knowledge. There's nothing that says don't use your own toilet paper like there should be if it would really mess up the system.

Nobody's being mean. The OP knew it was "easy dissolve", and folks are just a little shocked that someone's champagne problems would drive them to screw up the system. THAT is what rudeness is.

When my Chinese students come here for the first time I always have to tell them to flush the TP. And then I tell them again. And again. :mad:

Just use more of it if it dissolves. Don't bring your own. Anyone with a septic tank can tell you charmin or any of that other stuff will clog it up.

Just live with it for a week.

Unless you want to get used to using the trash cans for used TP if you are going to Mexico. You don't put the TP down the toilet there; it clogs the toilet.

The TP is fine. As a previous poster has said, the your own TP from home might clog up the pipes. Years ago I was on 2 Aeroflot planes. I swear the TP on the planes was wax paper (yes, I brought some home so I could show everyone).

Yes there are places where they ask you not to flush the toilet paper. However a cruise ship isnt one of them and I doubt the stewards expect to have to clean out used toilet paper.

I guess those of you who have a problem putting TP in the trash can are the ones who clog up the toilets at the beach clubs in Cozumel. They have really antiquated septic systems in Mexico and even in 5* hotels you are asked to put the TP, and only TP, in the trash can next to the toilet. On a tour of a hotel we were told that they incinerate the TP.

Please, do not bring your own TP on a cruise ship. It gets clogged in the vaccum system and can cause problems for many of the cabins on your hall. We had a problem on a HAL cruise and they had the panels open in the hall and were pulling TP out of the line. The maintenance man told the steward who was standing there to check all the cabins to find out where the contraband TP was coming from. He went into all the cabins that were on that section of the line and came out with 2 rolls of a Charmin like TP. We found out that the offending people were spoken to by an officer. They were whining about how rudely they had been treated. so everyone knew who the offenders were. Good thing it wasn't in the last few months - otherwise it would have been on CNN as another Carnival Corp ship has horrendous problems. We couldn't flush for about an hour, so we just used the public bathrooms while they were fixing it.

I guess those of you who have a problem putting TP in the trash can are the ones who clog up the toilets at the beach clubs in Cozumel... you are asked to put the TP, and only TP, in the trash can next to the toilet..

What you are describing in Cozumel is a system where special cans are specially set aside to handle paper which contains human waste. The person cleaning the bathroom knows exactly what is in those cans and has the training and proctective gear to safely dispose of it. But to do that on a cruise ship, just because one doesn't like the provided toilet paper, creates a health hazard for the crew.

"When in Rome do as the Romans.." In Cozumel use the provided trash cans, on a ship use the provided TP.

Uck .. how gross. really people have to bring their own toilet paper who isnt designed to disintegrate??

gross. I guess you dont cruise very much if you do all these things. Probably the same people bringing food illegally into other countries in baggies hidden in their purse.

EEWWW!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I guess you don't own a septic system in your home. The biggest clogger of septic tanks is toilet paper. The cost of pumping a tank every 2 years due to the toilet paper that doesn't dissolve is astronomical. And no we don't bring toilet paper with us on a cruise, what's on board is fine with us.

Just returned from a cruise last week. I didn't find the toilet paper to be too bad and nobody else in my family complained so I guess they didn't have a problem either. It isn't like the 1-ply stuff you find in most public washrooms, I was actually quite surprised by the quality of it knowing that it was the biodegradable type (we have a trailer and also must use biodegradable). I was also very surprised to learn during the Behind the Fun Tour that the black water tank (septic tank) is dumped when the ship is 18 miles from shore so another reason to use the TP they supply is so that it does biodegrade in the ocean!

Do what?

I guess you don't own a septic system in your home. The biggest clogger of septic tanks is toilet paper. The cost of pumping a tank every 2 years due to the toilet paper that doesn't dissolve is astronomical. And no we don't bring toilet paper with us on a cruise, what's on board is fine with us.

mzloolue - Was posted in the now gone 'Confessions' thread. The poster used a pillowcase, supposedly because the steward left no tp. They didn't get why some of us thought it was disgusting. smh :confused:

You're right I don't have a septice system. So?

I'm quessing you do. Do you use an everyday trash can to dispose of the tp? If so, must get really rank.

I always find it amazing that so many folks

don't know/understand/care-about how Systems work.

Doesn't your toilet at home make that same Giant Suckin Sound (as identified by Ross Perot)?

You never gave that a thought, did you... :)

Check the attached photos:

- that's what goes on behind your bathroom bulkheadd

Systems-531.jpg.da6c2e217f8e4452a64ee89abaafb2c9.jpg

Piping-532.jpg.9bd262945fce308c4d08c7e77d1be2c0.jpg

mzloolue - Was posted in the now gone 'Confessions' thread. The poster used a pillowcase, supposedly because the steward left no tp. They didn't get why some of us thought it was disgusting. smh :confused:

I'm quessing you do. Do you use an everyday trash can to dispose of the tp? If so, must get really rank.

Yuck on the pillowcase.

I have a septic system.

And we flush the tp.

We also don't have to have it emptied every two years, but it is very expensive.

We live out in the sticks, and any home that is out of a city has a septic system. TP ends up once a week to the dump, our neighbor burns theirs. Low flow toilets are also good so not much water gets to the leech fields. Our county is really stinky about septic systems and will mess with you if your system fails.

We live out in the sticks, and any home that is out of a city has a septic system. TP ends up once a week to the dump, our neighbor burns theirs. Low flow toilets are also good so not much water gets to the leech fields. Our county is really stinky about septic systems and will mess with you if your system fails.

Do you use a regular trash can to hold the used tp?

Oh Noes! We have a biohazard can! LOL!

Oh 'nose' is right! ;)

That is very different than just dropping used tp in a regular waste can and having it sit there for possibly hours. 'You' have to do what you have to do.

What the poster was saying is still a "EEWWW"!

Being born in a country were the water pressure stinks and toilets clog easily, it is the custom there to use the waste basket for toilet paper. But of course there is a BAG in the waste basket. On both cruises I have been on I did not see any bags in the waste basket. Throwing toilet paper in there would be disgusting and unsanitary to say the least.

The toilet paper is not that bad. It is on the thin side so just use more of it. And don't throw it in the waste basket. And it's definitely no sandpaper like.

Never thought of bringing my own TP. I do agree it is a little scratchy, however, I bring a cream that I can use after to make the tender area less irritated and chapped....

Now, if I was going on a foreign land vacation you bet I would pack a few rolls of two-ply with me....

Being born in a country were the water pressure stinks and toilets clog easily, it is the custom there to use the waste basket for toilet paper. But of course there is a BAG in the waste basket. On both cruises I have been on I did not see any bags in the waste basket. Throwing toilet paper in there would be disgusting and unsanitary to say the least.

The toilet paper is not that bad. It is on the thin side so just use more of it. And don't throw it in the waste basket. And it's definitely no sandpaper like.

In some of the countries I have visited, the used paper is tossed into the corner of the stall if there is no basket. It is the custom in many places where they have septic tanks or inadequate disposal systems.

The plumbing on the ships does not handle the paper well unless it is the quick dissolve type. It is selfish of those who do not consider the damage their own paper can cause to the ships system.

Archived