Cooking Demonstrations?

jsteppern

Hi everyone,

We will be taking our first HAL cruise in just under 2 weeks on the Westerdam's 7 night Alaska itinerary. I was wondering if you needed to sign up for the cooking demonstrations in advance, and if so where can we do this. I was more interested in the demos rather than the classes. Thanks for the help- I have only cruised on Disney thus far, and while I know their process very well, with HAL I feel like a fish out of water!

Hi everyone,

We will be taking our first HAL cruise in just under 2 weeks on the Westerdam's 7 night Alaska itinerary. I was wondering if you needed to sign up for the cooking demonstrations in advance, and if so where can we do this. I was more interested in the demos rather than the classes. Thanks for the help- I have only cruised on Disney thus far, and while I know their process very well, with HAL I feel like a fish out of water!

Unlike the cooking classes, there is no need to sign up ahead of time for the demonstrations. Watch for them in your daily explorer (newsletter) for the time and location. I'd say get there at least 10 minutes early to get a good seat, sometimes seating is limited. And enjoy!:)

It will all make sense once you are on board. As others say, the times will be listed in your daily program.

Treat it as you would a show and get there a little early to pick a good seat. I can't remember the details of seating on each ship, but we just returned from the Ryndam and the first day, I got front row center. It was great, but the disadvantage was that they have over head cameras that are hard to see from the front. So my prime spot turned in to being in the second group of seats and in the middle where the aisle is on the first section. That way you have no one in front of you and could see the screens as well. But all theatres are different so go and enjoy the show.

It's one of the great things I love about HAL.

Cathy

It will all make sense once you are on board. As others say, the times will be listed in your daily program.

Treat it as you would a show and get there a little early to pick a good seat. I can't remember the details of seating on each ship, but we just returned from the Ryndam and the first day, I got front row center. It was great, but the disadvantage was that they have over head cameras that are hard to see from the front. So my prime spot turned in to being in the second group of seats and in the middle where the aisle is on the first section. That way you have no one in front of you and could see the screens as well. But all theatres are different so go and enjoy the show.

It's one of the great things I love about HAL.

Cathy

On some of the ships, the cooking demonstrations are held in the Wajang Theater. There are large TV screens on each side of the theater. You can sit anywhere in the theater and see what is going on.

Yes

The S (Ryndam, Statendam, Veendam, Maasdam) and R (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Zaandam and Volendam) class ships have the Culinary Arts Center in the Wajang and the seating is completely different.

2012_Amsterdam_ship_pictures_184.JPG

2012_Amsterdam_ship_pictures_185.JPG

The S (Ryndam, Statendam, Veendam, Maasdam) and R (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Zaandam and Volendam) class ships have the Culinary Arts Center in the Wajang

Also the Prinsendam.

Somehow that ship always seems to be left out when discussing amenities on the various ships of the fleet.

We went to a cooking demo on the Volendam (steak diane), the fruit/veg carving, as well as a cocktail class. We only ever had around a dozen people there and for the fruit/veg one, we all just went and sat on barstools and leaned around the worktop. Very good view!

We have attending a few of these. If you want a good seat, get there early as they do attract a good crowd.

If you're seated further back, there is a camera so the cooking can be projected onto a large TV.

Archived