Free Laundry

spindrift

I have a GREAT idea. What about getting free laundry after so many cruises? Sounds like a winner, huh? I can just see using that free time when I would normally line up for the laundry room. Boy, would people start booking for just that benefit. :D

Stand in line, or not, to do laundry on my cruise? No way. The laundry people on the ships do a lovely job and I am happy to put this line item in my cruise budget. It is a tiny part of the cruise budget. Since it is already in the budget, it seems "free" to me.

I have a GREAT idea. What about getting free laundry after so many cruises? Sounds like a winner, huh? I can just see using that free time when I would normally line up for the laundry room. Boy, would people start booking for just that benefit. :D

Both Seabourn and Regent offer this as part of their loyalty program.

Great idea, Sitatraveler,

But I still prefer doing my own!

I ALWAYS prefer doing my own. Even with housecleaners at home, I do my own laundry.

QE2 had free laundry ... I liked that! I mean, the machines (as I recall 12 washers and 12 dryers) was free. And I prefer cruiselines that give me the option of doing my own laundry, whether free or not. It really irritated me to go on NCL and discover that they had REMOVED the laundry rooms!

Not that no laundry room is a deal breaker, but if we go on a line like NCL it is in a suite where we get perks that the other passengers do not get, and no self-service laundry is not enough to say no, we won't go.

Except that generally, I won't! Go, I mean. Unless it's really a fab itinerary with an even better price.

Unfortunately, Ren and O have never had "free" laundry ...

But that's not a deal breaker on O either!

Mura

I have to ask, LHT28 and Mura, out of simple curiosity (or perhaps nosiness), what is it about doing your own laundry "your way" that makes it necessary to do your own even if you have to stand in line or listen to people fight over the machines and miss out on doing something more interesting? I do my own laundry at home (no housecleaners either) and on a cruise I don't take any clothing that can't have a regular wash and dry. Well, there could be a "delicate" nighty or undies, but those can be done in the sink. Isn't it great that we are all so different? Makes life interesting.

I have to ask, LHT28 and Mura, out of simple curiosity (or perhaps nosiness), what is it about doing your own laundry "your way" that makes it necessary to do your own even if you have to stand in line or listen to people fight over the machines and miss out on doing something more interesting? I do my own laundry at home (no housecleaners either) and on a cruise I don't take any clothing that can't have a regular wash and dry. Well, there could be a "delicate" nighty or undies, but those can be done in the sink. Isn't it great that we are all so different? Makes life interesting.

Speaking for myself, it's not so much that I do a perfect job ('cuz I don't) but more than I really don't want other people seeing my dirty laundry! So I do it myself. I have never experienced the fights over machines and other unpleasantness that people often write about, so that isn't a factor in my preference. I hope to be able to continue to be blissfully ignorant of such activities.

And I usually only do a wash load or two once on a cruise (haven't done any of those 30+ day itineraries yet!).

I do recall on our first Renaissance cruise meeting a woman who hit the laundry room the minute she boarded the ship. That really puzzled me. It wouldn't have if she'd been touring in Europe for a week or more by the time they boarded the R2, but she was fresh off a flight from the U.S.

Mura

For me I take mostly wash n wear clothes & do not want my clothes washed in hot water...I take most of the micro fibre clothes from the washer & hang up on hangers in the bathroom to dry...dry in a few hours

I too have not had long lines or fights in the laundry room

I put the load of wash in ..check my watch..go off to do other things

Come back a few minute before done ...put stuff in dryer , check my watch go off again until a few minutes before done

Pick up the dryer stuff & I am done

It is not a big deal for me, we do longer cruises so I have done a few loads on the cruise

The only things I send out our my sweaters & then I specify cold water wash

I cannot think of what I have missed by doing a load of wash , eating reading walking the track...not really that critical if I miss a bit :D

To each his own

On our last trip on O we got 4 items pressed because we were in a A cabin, guess that's a deal.

I guess if you have things that need pressing it is a deal

Lyn

This gal has a wonderful woman who has been helping me clean my house for 10 years. She is amazing. She fights with me because I won't let her do my laundry. I don't know why I don't let her, I know she will do a great job - but I just prefer to do my own!

Having said that, when I am on vacation - I am NOT going to waste any precious travel time in a laundromat. There is one exception -- when I am staying put in one location, I will go to the laundry because it provides me with a unique experience to enjoy the local flavour. I can also practice my language skills there.

BUT - never on a ship. Azamara has a free bag of laundry for the top two levels of their loyalty program. It is a big bonus....Love, Love, Love it!! One big bag per person per week....and although I am solo, they usually give me two bags!!! One for my travel buddy - Lori - who adores the laundry room for some reason. I think she holds parties in there!!! LOL

Taking my first cruise on Oceania next month but it seems that there are some big differences in amenities from AZ to O. Top two levels on AZ get free internet packages - very generous too. Laundry. These are things that really mean something as opposed to discounts and future notifications. I also understand that O has discontinued the free email program. HMMMM.....seems that there is a bit of nickel and diming going on there comparatively.

I look forward to having a wonderful trip - perks aside - and I will probably send out a bag or two to be done. I am certainly not going to worry about laundry on my vacation.....hopefully I won't forget altogether and run around the ship not being "clean and fresh"...... :eek: :rolleyes:

Top two levels on AZ get free internet packages - very generous too. Laundry. These are things that really mean something as opposed to discounts and future notifications.

Do you mean top 2 suite cat or top 2 levels in their club??

What do you need to attain that status??

On O on your 5th cruise you get OBC & other perks as you rise up the cruise scale

Of course if you are in PH & above there are other perks to had on each sailing

Depends on what is a value to you

Lyn

Do you mean top 2 suite cat or top 2 levels in their club??

What do you need to attain that status??

On O on your 5th cruise you get OBC & other perks as you rise up the cruise scale

Of course if you are in PH & above there are other perks to had on each sailing

Depends on what is a value to you

Lyn

I was referring to the loyalty program. I was in the Club Continent Suite so there was some pressing for free.

You can use your Celebrity and RCL points to accrue to the AZ loyalty program so it was easy to get to top tier.

I was referring to the loyalty program. I was in the Club Continent Suite so there was some pressing for free.

You can use your Celebrity and RCL points to accrue to the AZ loyalty program so it was easy to get to top tier.

Well I guess it is like any cruise line.... until you reach a certain status with their loyalty programs you do not get all the perks on your first cruise ;)

Lyn

Great idea, Sitatraveler,

But I still prefer doing my own!

I ALWAYS prefer doing my own. Even with housecleaners at home, I do my own laundry.

Mura

I agree, Mura. I prefer to do my own!! Call me picky but I don't like the idea of my clothes being washed with other people's :eek:.

Lou

Well I guess it is like any cruise line.... until you reach a certain status with their loyalty programs you do not get all the perks on your first cruise ;)

Lyn

This isn't 100% accurate, on PCHs other line Regent you get all the perks* the day you board if your cruise is over 21 days you'd start at day 1 with all the perks of a Silver member.

On our recent 25 day cruise we had an offer for 20 pieces of laundry for $20. Twice during the cruise for a two day timeframe. We took advantage of it for everyday clothing. I did most of my tops and things I didn't want to shrink myself. I must say they did an excellent job. No ironing done, just wash and fold, but it looked like it had been ironed. Certainly not the way my laundry looks before ironing!

Mo

This isn't 100% accurate, on PCHs other line Regent you get all the perks* the day you board if your cruise is over 21 days you'd start at day 1 with all the perks of a Silver member.

But what if your first cruise is 10 days???

But what if your first cruise is 10 days???

Then like most other lines, nothing until your next cruise at which point you'd be bronze assuming it was less than or equal to 10 days. I thought in the past the immediate benefits were for every category now it appears you'd have to earn Silver+ to start with benefits.

Then like most other lines, nothing until your next cruise at which point you'd be bronze assuming it was less than or equal to 10 days. I thought in the past the immediate benefits were for every category now it appears you'd have to earn Silver+ to start with benefits.

With Oceania you get perks on your 5th cruise which is Bronze level

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/oceaniaclublogin.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2foceaniaclub%2fdefault.aspx

I guess I'm just weird. At home, Betsy does the laundry. On vacation, whether in the RV or on a cruise, I do it. It's not something we ever discussed and I don't think there's any special reason or motive, more a case of she knows how to work the machines at home but is not comfortable with using different machinery, while I'm sort of a mechanical geek.

I wash out my fast-drying underwear in the sink using Tide sink detergent, and do laundry as needed. Having the flexibility to do a large or small laundry at any needed time is one of the reasons we are able to travel with carry-on luggage only.

There are also minor issues of the water temperature used by the ship (we wash almost everything in cold water at home) and the time it takes to send things out and have them returned -- much slower than doing it oneself.

As far as sending things out to the ship laundry, probably the biggest reason we don't do it is part of the weirdness. We're perfecty willing to spend thousands on cruises, but once on a cruise, we revert to our frugal nature and could never conceive of spending $1.50 to launder a handkerchief when we can do an entire laundry for $4.00. It's the same reason we rarely spend money to eat on shore when we've already paid for meals on the ship, and the reason we never pay for specialty restaurants on cruise lines that charge for them. We can't help it; it's just the way we're built. It's also the reason we can afford Oceania cruises in the first place...

Regarding free laundry, a tiny but welcome perk would be free tokens for the launderettes. All the machines are free on Regent from the first cruise. By the way, thinking of Regent loyalty perks, we have 17 days on Regent so far, and will get the Silver perks from day 1 of our next cruise on that line.

Archived