Am I going to suffer SUITE life withdrawal?

tamsocal

We have cruise anything from Inside to Penthouse but the last few years have been all Suites and the last Holland cruise was an amazing time in Cabin 7045 on the Oosterdam. :D

I am traveling without DH and just me and the 3 kids this cruise. booked an oceanview this time. S category is sold out but probably just as well-(it was an extra $7000). Well everything was sold out above F for Quad occupancy....

I have convinced myself it will be fantastic and still worth going!! Between spa visits, 3 port days and Glacier Bay, I can put the saved $$ to good use but I am actually now starting to worry that I have ventured to a place I won't want to turn back from.

UGH!!

Where does the 4th person sleep in Cat F on Statendam? Pull down with a side rail? Is the fold out sofa bed a twin or full? room for 2 five yr olds?

Oosterdam is a wonderful ship and does a great Alaska cruise. It's port busy and you won't be in your cabin that much. While the suite life is fabulous.... that ship is wonderful with a great crew. Next time book earlier and get your suite, IF you wish.

We so enjoyed that cruise last June and hope you see the amazing beauty we enjoyed.

We have cruise anything from Inside to Penthouse but the last few years have been all Suites and the last Holland cruise was an amazing time in Cabin 7045 on the Oosterdam. :D

I am traveling without DH and just me and the 3 kids this cruise. booked an oceanview this time. S category is sold out but probably just as well-(it was an extra $7000). Well everything was sold out above F for Quad occupancy....

I have convinced myself it will be fantastic and still worth going!! Between spa visits, 3 port days and Glacier Bay, I can put the saved $$ to good use but I am actually now starting to worry that I have ventured to a place I won't want to turn back from.

UGH!!

Where does the 4th person sleep in Cat F on Statendam? Pull down with a side rail? Is the fold out sofa bed a twin or full? room for 2 five yr olds?

Welcome to the REAL world! :D

You'll be fine - travelling with young people - they wouldn't have appreciated it and you will be possibly too busy to take full advantage and with all those young people just plain busy.:)

Have fun and a great cruise. there is a time and a place for everything. I think you chose wisely:)

Oosterdam is a wonderful ship and does a great Alaska cruise. It's port busy and you won't be in your cabin that much. While the suite life is fabulous.... that ship is wonderful with a great crew. Next time book earlier and get your suite, IF you wish.

We so enjoyed that cruise last June and hope you see the amazing beauty we enjoyed.

OP is on the Statendam I believe.

I'm guessing that you will be fine.We have never had a bad cabin on an S class ship, so far only insides and ocean views. As has been stated above, we spend very little time in the cabin, but that is going to change for us with the upcoming Alaska cruises. We are venturing out of our caves in favor of Veranda suites. We sort of have the opposite problem. We are wondering if we will miss our favorite inside cabins.:o

UGH!!

Can't answer your questions about sleeping arrangements, but want to tell you that ALASKA is the highlight of your trip, regardless of your cabin category. You have great ports, and the money you save on your accom will be very helpful for some of the outstanding shore excursions you will be able to do :) Of course you will likely miss being in a suite, but Alaska cruises are about ALASKA, not about the cabin category you are in.

I'd take an inside if it would get me to Alaska this year. Alas, that isn't looking very likely.

It'll be cozy for 4 in your F cat cabin, but get out on deck, that is when you will have the best viewing of the amazing scenery.

Have a great time in the great land :)

edited to add: If you haven't check out the Alaska forum yet, definitely have a good look around

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=14&f=55

Some of the posters there have been to Alaska dozens of times and some love in Alaska and are happy to share their in-depth knowledge.

OP is on the Statendam I believe.

Yes that is correct- going on the Statendam for the 1st time. Have been on Amsterdam & oosterdam and had a great time on both. The Oosterdam was Penthouse cabin so no jacuzzi tub on our verandah this cruise while in Category F :). I booked the Suite Amenities and the well being package to make up for no S category a little :)

HAHA

We are nearing 20 cruises with the little munchkins. SInce no DH this time- DS will likely hit 3 star Mariner before DH but DS also went to Princess Platinum before DH too.

We have cruised to Alaska x3 the little ones have been before but dont remember.

Oldest DS has already picked out several shore excursions. So its looking like we will easily get extra cruise days for the onboard spending. We will have to just get out on deck with Inside passage day & glacier bay cruising since no verandah.

I went to find our roll call but there doesnt appear to be one :)

only 30 kids currently booked from 3-12 yrs-- I guess I own 10% of the kids booked :)

UGH!!

Yes, you are going to suffer Suite withdrawal, but for the money your saving, you could go on another cruise.:D

Yes, you are going to suffer Suite withdrawal, but for the money your saving, you could go on another cruise.:D

I keep telling myself that but in reality I think I am only partially convinced. Too late to turn back now though.... final payment complete and booked air today!

hhhmm am I going to check daily to see if a higher category cabin opens up--

We will have a great time-- just booked 2 excursions that were $600+ each for all of us. OUCH! I need to be in an inside cabin to save some more $$

Have you checked Joanie's site for pictures of the room you booked -- they will be the same on all S class ships -- so you can check each one.

As far as I know, the sofa bed holds only 1 person.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1054590

THANKS!!

I forgot about Joanies webpage-- it is spiffed up a little since I saw it last.

Funny-- feels like going back to a family reunion..... I haven't been around the HAL board for a few years and it still is all of the same old friends hanging out :) some of you have 5,000 more posts than when I was hear last..... HAHA!!

We have been on DCL 4 times & princess twice in the interim of HAL.

I have to refresh my memories re the helpful tips

http://abqreunion2008.com/Ryndam/Deck-4.html

had to search about..... but the page above found the bed.....

might sleep the 2 little munchkins- on a normal twin bed we can make a boundary in the middle to keep one of thems legs to the right & one legs to left and heads at opposite ends and wont have to bother with the pull down-- or I can have a queen to myself and put the 9 yr old in the pulldown-- just dont want to bang my head :)

the pictures didnt help my suite life withdrawal though:D. TINY!

last cruise on DCL was a 1 br suite 1200sf I think and a verandah that could fit probably 20 lounge chairs. No more looking at pictures!

Our next cruise on this Sunday is in a VB Verandah, which we will be fine with since it's just 7 days. But no Upsell offer and you just start to think, no Pinnacle Grill Breakfast, No Neptune Lounge access, No drinks with the Officers, unlimited laundry.....

I know I have no right to complain, well maybe just a little tiny one

-Paul

Our next cruise on this Sunday is in a VB Verandah, which we will be fine with since it's just 7 days. But no Upsell offer and you just start to think, no Pinnacle Grill Breakfast, No Neptune Lounge access, No drinks with the Officers, unlimited laundry.....

I know I have no right to complain, well maybe just a little tiny one

-Paul

agreed!! I'll have a tiny bit of whining & complaint with you, but it will be a blast. The kids are so excited!!

I purchased the package with laundry and it has debarkation day in PG included :), alcohol, etc- if I am saving the $$ from the suite I am definitely not going to be doing laundry onboard-- I just have to figure out how I am going to polish off 4 bottles of alcohol :)

agreed!! I'll have a tiny bit of whining & complaint with you, but it will be a blast. The kids are so excited!!

I purchased the package with laundry and it has debarkation day in PG included :), alcohol, etc- if I am saving the $$ from the suite I am definitely not going to be doing laundry onboard-- I just have to figure out how I am going to polish off 4 bottles of alcohol :)

Don't destroy your liver, take the left-over booze with you after the cruise, I still have a unopened bottle of Stoli for a few cruises ago when we bought the Suite Amenities package, I don't drink vodka very often

-Paul

It was on the Zaandam, but I took three kids (husband couldn't come) and stayed in catergory F. Surprisingly, there was enough room for us all and we kept things put away most of the time. We had the beds as twins, plus the pull down. The pull down was left down all the time, so it just seemed like bunk beds. Then the sofa bed. The sofa bed was not that comfortable, best for a child. The kids also spent alot of time in the window ledge - that was their main seating area.

You will have a blast! For me, the hardest part was not having my husband along. But the scenery was amazing!

Have a great trip!

Don't destroy your liver, take the left-over booze with you after the cruise, I still have a unopened bottle of Stoli for a few cruises ago when we bought the Suite Amenities package, I don't drink vodka very often

-Paul

I think I am going to trade 2 of the bottles for beverage card or wine tasting etc-- ship services said not a problem. we are doing the land tour after cruise so I didnt want to bring the bottles off ship

It was on the Zaandam, but I took three kids (husband couldn't come) and stayed in catergory F. Surprisingly, there was enough room for us all and we kept things put away most of the time. We had the beds as twins, plus the pull down. The pull down was left down all the time, so it just seemed like bunk beds. Then the sofa bed. The sofa bed was not that comfortable, best for a child. The kids also spent alot of time in the window ledge - that was their main seating area.

You will have a blast! For me, the hardest part was not having my husband along. But the scenery was amazing!

Have a great trip!

Excellent- I will have 3 kids too. Will give sofa bed to a 5 yr old. We will all miss DH too but too busy with work and we didnt want to stay home all summer.

I purchased the thermal suite which I enjoy but I have enjoyed it most on our 2 cruises without DH- as I seem to have had more time to use it & relax

Archived