Delayed Boarding for NCL Jewel, San Pedro

Bankshot

We're sailing on NCL's Jewel of the Seas on May 8th. We just received a programmed call telling us NOT to show up at the port until after 1pm because the terminal is so small. This sounds fishy to me. Would anyone have a better explanation of what's going on?

We're sailing on NCL's Jewel of the Seas on May 8th. We just received a programmed call telling us NOT to show up at the port until after 1pm because the terminal is so small. This sounds fishy to me. Would anyone have a better explanation of what's going on?

Hmmmm...

There ARE three rather large cruise ships in port that day:

May 05/08/2013 Wed Golden Princess B93

May 05/08/2013 Wed Norwegian Jewel B92

May 05/08/2013 Wed Celebrity Solstice B46

Berth 93 is the largest of the terminals. Berth 92 is next to it...The terminal is not all that small...it was redone a few years ago when Royal Caribbean brought in the 130,000 gross ton Mariner of the Seas...We cruised from that terminal twice with no major crowding problems...

Berth 46, by the way, is several blocks from these two...so, it's hardly an issue of having three ships in the same place.

I get the feeling they just want to discourage people from showing up early...Most cruise lines seem to do this in one form or another...and we usually ignore it...

By the way, it's the NCL "Jewel", NOT "Jewel of the Seas"--that is a Royal Caribbean ship!

I think they tend to tell all cruise ship passengers to arrive after 1pm. We always ignore that too.

Last cruise, we were there way before noon. We went into the terminal, no problem and were immediately directed to the line up for those on Aloha and Lido deck cabins. Only one party was in line in front of us and it was just a few minutes later that one of the Princess clerks was ready to check us in.

Just a thought - is the Jewel coming off its spring repo cruise - if so the local authorities may want to do an inspection - while that is going on you generally can`t embark anyone so that might me the reason they are asking everyone to board later.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks to all for the info and especially to Bruin Steve for keeping me from boarding the wrong ship. My wife usually leads me around and I always have arrived at the correct ship. I now know I had better not travel alone.....Ever!

Archived