What about tipping?

Being new to American river cruising, please advise me on tipping. How is this handled on the American Queen? I'd like to follow custom without it being a headache, gauche embarrassment, or a baffling riddle.:eek: My hat's off to any respondents out there.

Gratuities and Beverage Service Charges

Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your voyage meets the highest standards. This includes those crewmembers who serve you directly, such as wait staff, beverage servers and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all our crewmembers are recognized and rewarded, gratuities of $16.50 per guest will be automatically added to your onboard account on a daily basis.

If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of the cruise. In addition, a 15% Beverage Service Charge is automatically added to bar charges and dining room wine purchases. These charges are paid entirely to American Queen Steamboat Company crewmembers, and represent an important part of their compensation.

In ports of call and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices.

Archived