Western chosen, but which ship? NCL or Carnival?

mtsnd1900

My wife and I are doing the Dawn in November. A big reason were are doing her from Tampa and not the Jewel? from New Orleans is the price of airfare. Flying to Tampa is more than 50% cheaper compared to flying to NO.

This was pretty much the opposite of the reasoning of why we chose Jewel over Dawn. Flights anywhere were $400+pp (New Orleans was a bit less than Miami, but no afternoon flights, so another day in a hotel on departure). But we can drive a very very long drive to NO for about $200. So we picked the port.

Thank you everyone for your input. I am looking through all the little pointers and compiling some info to make a sound decision. We love the western route, but next year the timing is a little more restrictive than we are accustomed to, so the selection is limited. Want to make sure we are getting the best value of entertainment for the money. Again, thank you everyone.

We did Star out of New Orleans in February. Great trip. We did independent to Nohoch Kay in Costa Maya. Good deal. Otherwise, not overly impressed with Costa Maya.

Highly recommend Maya Key through NCL on Roatan. One of the best I've

experienced.

As to spa, The Dawn and Star spas are the same. Both feature lap pool,

hot tub, thallasotherapy (sic) bath, steam and sauna. Men's shower area also has hot & cold plunge pools. Approx. $120.00 for week

September is the most active month in the hurricane season, if you are choosing for a port specific reason, you probably want to steer clear of cruising in the Caribbean in September. My BIL went on his honeymoon on the Epic a few years ago in September specifically for the eastern Carib itinerary, but a hurricane was passing through that area during his cruise, so the itinerary changed to western Carib to avoid the storm. Just an FYI!

If you like to snorkel, my I suggest Victor Bodden Tours while your at Roatan. We took a private tour thru him and had the best tour we have ever had. You have the option to pick different things to do with this tour...take the snorkel tour that goes to (I think) blue channel. We had taken ship snorkel tours up until Victor...the difference between the two is like night and day. Bring an underwater camera, you won't regret it (I wish I had).:D

Being that I was on the Dream in Sept 2012 too (Eastern) I know about the Carnival product. What I didn't like was being rushed. Since the time in specifically costa maya is important to you the Dream would be off my list.

Someone mentioned the Epic. She goes to Costa Maya starting Spring 2014. Now during sept, oct, and nov she's going to ocho rios, Cozumel, and grand cayman. Maybe she's going back Spring 2015. If you are not in a rush, set on costa maya, and maybe some flexibility with vacation time that may work. But out of the ships you mentioned the NCL Epic would satisfy all your wants and needs.

Good Luck.:)

Being in Rhode Island, I assume you would fly Southwest to New Orleans. The price shouldn't be that much more over Tampa. New Orleans is a great city to enjoy. That said, cruising up and down the Mississippi was a bit boring so I think the ship would be the most important factor there.

I agree with a previous poster about leaving out of New Orleans. We have sailed Carnival and Royal in the past. Our next cruise is the Norwegian Jewel out of New Orleans on this Western itinerary. I chose this sailing because of New Orleans and the desire to try a new cruise line. I like to treat the departure port as another "port of call".

You have to decide which is more important to you: the ship experience or the shore experience? It sounds to me like the shore experience may be the most important to you.

Also, the sail back up Atlantic to get to Port Canaveral on the Dream is usually very rocky! There may be smoother sailing through the Gulf. It always seems that the ships are in full speed heading back to their home ports, and many get sea sickness.

My two cents. Never been on Carnival or NCL Sun. I've been on Jewel-class NCL ships and the Dawn. I wouldn't choose to cruise on the Dawn again simply because she doesn't have a Great Outdoors venue. This is a wonderful place to have breakfast or just relax at any time of day. NCL Sun has a Great Outdoors.

Being in Rhode Island, I assume you would fly Southwest to New Orleans. The price shouldn't be that much more over Tampa. New Orleans is a great city to enjoy. That said, cruising up and down the Mississippi was a bit boring so I think the ship would be the most important factor there.

At least from Philly you could not fly direct and the price was nearly double at the time. We could have gotten cheaper flight to NO, just didn't want to spend the whole day flying

Archived