island vs. diamond which would you choose?

m-of-connor

Hi

Both ships are doing the same itenararies and the cost is the same.

Which would you choose and why/why not?

Would like to have a covered pool.

Would like to have a spa with hot tub/pool, heated seats etc..

This would be going to Alaska and we would have our 2 kids with us.

I took the kids last summer to Alaska, left the DH at home but all would like to go this summer. We were on the Westerdamm last summer and loved the ship and the kids had a great time on this ship. Would like something similair just because the kids/I loved that ship. We have never been on a Princess ship. I have just started to look into Princess and thier ships.

Thanks

I have not sailed on the Diamond...but have done the Sapphire (sister ship to Diamond) and the Island.

I perfer the size of the Island...I also like the small pool (like a wave pool...very shallow) at the front of the ship that is great for hot weather cruises. I also like the bayou cafe (specialty restaurant)

on the plus side for the Diamond are the 4 anytime dinning rooms.

We have been on the Diamond and the Coral (sister to the Island). Those two classes are our favourites of all Princess classes aside from the small R-class vessels. Both ships are relatively spacious "per passenger". Though there are differences in size and design, other factors -- including the precise schedules and how many other ships are likely to be in the various ports on the days your ship would visit -- would be more important considerations in my view. If the "external" factors were all equal, I might opt for the Island because of its slightly smaller passenger capacity.

John

We have been on the Coral and Island, but not the Diamond. We love the size of the Island/Coral and one advantage is the Horizon Court is like being in a "theater in the round"! It is at the bow of the ship and for Alaska, if the weather is bad, you can see everything in warmth and comfort. However, don't hog the table if it's peak dining time. We always invite people to share a table with us if we notice there are people wandering around looking for a place to sit. If we're finished eating, we move on and come back when it's not busy. :)

The Lotus (covered) pool area is another nice warm place to sit and watch the scenery or read.

Island would be my choice. There are advantages to both ships. Larger ships have more dining venues and more choices for activities onboard.Small ships seem friendlier and are easier to navigate. But the Island is a very LONG ship since it was built to go thru the Panama Canal. Smaller ships can also get into ports where the larger ships may have to use tenders and smaller ships can get closer to glaciers.

In terms of amenities, the two ships are pretty much the same (except that Island doesn't have a dedicated "disco"), including covered pools and spa amenities. All things being equal, I would probably pick Island Princess because of it's smaller size and greater passenger/space ratio. It will also be easier to navigate going ashore in port with fewer passengers.

I have sailed Island, Coral, Diamond and Sapphire, and I *really* prefer the layout of the Diamond and Sapphire. The Lotus Spa pool area is a favorite of mine, I love reading in the Wake View and the Wheelhouse is a nicer layout. I also enjoy the more spacious Promenade.

IMO and have been on all 4 more than once. They are the best 4 ships in the fleet and I would go on any of them again at the drop of a hat. Great space ratios, excellent food and entertainment.

I have sailed Island, Coral, Diamond and Sapphire, and I *really* prefer the layout of the Diamond and Sapphire. The Lotus Spa pool area is a favorite of mine, I love reading in the Wake View and the Wheelhouse is a nicer layout. I also enjoy the more spacious Promenade.

Just to clarify, the Coral/Island have the wider Promenade Deck also.

Archived