Which is the best med. cruise?

I find that the best one is the one with ports I haven't been to before. Some are hectic (the seven day basic ones with Rome, Naples, etc), some more relaxing (Greek Isles, Canary Islands, etc), the longer the better. My favorite was the two week Egypt cruise.

Robin

mellow... I've been on two (both RCI). I don't even remember the ships - it's so port intensive. So, my opinion would be go for price. The ports are what matters. I was in bed by 10:30 or so I was so exhausted, so entertainment was not my priority.

mellow... I've been on two (both RCI). I don't even remember the ships - it's so port intensive. So, my opinion would be go for price. The ports are what matters. I was in bed by 10:30 or so I was so exhausted, so entertainment was not my priority.

I agree, I have never been so tired or felt so "uncruiselike" this is not a bad thing, it is different. I tried to approach it as an adventure and an experience. Had a great time, ship was great (epic) but it is different than the tropics

Have been on Brilliance OTS and NCL Jade. Enjoyed both, but would vote for the Jade - maybe because of the ports. It is a port intensive cruise no matter which - but we wanted to see as much as possible, and then we spent a week in Paris which was great so we were relaxed when we got home :)

In 2007 we went and did 10 ports in 12 days, it was great. Italy was fun, Greece was good, but Turkey, especially Istanbul, was amazing. Like others said, early to bed, early to rise.

In a week, we leave for a 7 day med cruise with 6 ports (including embarkation port). Looking forward to Barcelona and France. We just booked different tours when in Italy. I could not get more time off of work, so told my wife, find any cruise you want that fits into X days (forgot to mention a budget).....well she did, way over in the Med.

We try to go in spring, March to May. Avoid crowds and the weather is nice (usually).

Good luck on what you decide on.

There is a difference between Travel and Vacation. A Caribbean cruise is vacation....Europe is travel!

I am booked on the Spirit for June 2014--The Grand Med and cannot wait for Istanbul, Athens and Toulon. I've been to the Italy ports on RCI--and absolutely loved Naples (The Amalfi Coast).

The point of cruising in the Med is more countries IMHO. Go for the most diverse selection of ports. You can do a land trip to explore specific regions but how often can you sample 5 countries in 12 days?!

Can't compare Eastern and Western having only done Western parts but can offer that self touring at Barcelona, Villefranche (for Nice and Monaco) and Livorno (for Pisa/Florence) was extremely practical and MUCH less expensive. Probably same for other Spain, France or Italy ports. Also took a lot of the hecticness out of it. Barcelona was so easy to take Metro to Sagrada Familia then taxi to Parc Guel and then walk/Metro to top of La Ramblas and walk back down to port with stop for lunch along the way (awesone Seafood Paella). Villefranche - a snap to take train to Monaco then down to Nice for lunch and walk the seaside promenade. Train to Pisa was easy from Livorno except for expensive cab ride from/to ship & train station.

Can't say if I would be inclined to be quite so independent at Greek, Turkish or Egyptian ports so would have to figure in expense for cruiseline or other organized tours.

I enjoyed the Grand Mediterranean on the Spirit in May 2012. 10 ports in 12 days. Awesome trip!

I haven't done a cruise in the Med. yet, but this is the same one we will be doing in about a month.

It will be my favorite because:

1. It'll be my husband's and my first time in Europe.

2. It'll let my check off many countries I've had on my bucket list: Italy, Turkey, Greece, France, Spain, and Vatican City. Still trying to decide if we can count the countries we have to change planes in - Switzerland and Germany, hmmm.

3. It'll be the longest cruise we've been on.

4. It'll be wonderfully Freestyle - no hurrying back from port and hurrying to dress for a set early dinner time. No waiting for a set late dinner time if we want a main dining room meal.

5. It'll be on the Spirit which has a lot of wonderful outdoor space to view the scenery from.

6. Two sea days to catch our breath during the cruise and just take in the cruise ship, the scenery, and relax.

7. The excursions are fabulous!

8. It's on NCL, with I'm sure what will be an awesome staff of officers, crew, and entertainers.

9. Terrific dining venues.

10. So much more :D:cool:.

I would get Ricks Steve's Med. cruise ports, very good. I did the eastern Med in Oct. was nice, had Santorini to ourselves. We did some ship tours, hired a car for Santorini and some just did on our own. You could just walk off the ship and see the sights. Just take it easy for a couple of the stops, easy to do to much and not relax.

Always find it amusing that US/Canadians find the Med such an adventure - for us, its a cheap cruise with short haul flights - We long for Caribbean out of Miami = and it costs us SOOOO much more - flights alone are so expensive.

September we have two weeks around the Med - from Savona Italy, through Greek islands and the Ukraine and Istanbul (Turkey) -wonderful two weeks cruise. Easy flights and no jet lag. Lots of sunshine and fabulous ship. Then.. NCL - January (cold winter in the Med) we have two weeks of "party" cruise in the Caribbean. LOVE LOVE LOVE Miami - Caribbean!!

aaahhhhh Life is having the best of both worlds :)

Always find it amusing that US/Canadians find the Med such an adventure - for us, its a cheap cruise with short haul flights - We long for Caribbean out of Miami = and it costs us SOOOO much more - flights alone are so expensive.

LOL at how it's all in the perspective. It's soooo expensive for us to get to Europe for our expensive Med cruise!:D Miami on the other hand is run of the mill, dirt cheap and once you've seen one Caribbean beach, you've seen them all.:D

Life certainly is having the best of both worlds!

I have done 10 cruises in Europe costa and ncl. I have done the Venice, Greece Croatia cruises beautiful and I have done rome to sicly Tunisia Naples cruise. I loved Sicily and geneoa. However just know if your ship leaves out of Barcelona you will be charged at vat tax that spain charges ship passenger who leave out of Barcelona. I love Barcelona Malta Monte Carlo everywhere I always find something else to do. When docked at naples there is a ton of things to do

LOL at how it's all in the perspective. It's soooo expensive for us to get to Europe for our expensive Med cruise!:D Miami on the other hand is run of the mill, dirt cheap and once you've seen one Caribbean beach, you've seen them all.:D

Life certainly is having the best of both worlds!

In September - we have a Butler suite around the med 13 nights - THAT is costing LESS than a standard Balcony on Epic x 15 nights for our January one.

Our flight from Scotland to Miami is costing more than the 15 nights on Epic itself.

it IS maddening huh - especially as so much of that airfare is government tax.

We get SOOOO excited going to Miami pre cruise - for us, its this huge mega world -a far cry from the wee hills o' Scotland! We do the flights (with six hour time jump) - then instead of going to bed, we hire a car, and go clubbing Miami :D LOVE IT!

There is a difference between Travel and Vacation. A Caribbean cruise is vacation....Europe is travel!

Well said, Steph!

I agree with the other posters--it's all about the ports. Rick Steves' book is a good overview of most of the typical ports. Where have you already visited in Europe, and how did you like it? Any European port cities or countries on your "bucket list"? We've done two very different western Med and one eastern Med, and enjoyed all three immensely. You can't really go wrong with any itinerary, just pick the one that appeals to you the most! :)

Archived