Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

The only thing I see listed that I take is binoculars. You can leave everything else at home....there is absolutely no need or reason to lug them along. Haven't had one single time when I missed not having them either. Have a great cruise!!!!

The suggestions are what works for the one who posted it. To me part of the fun of the trip is the planning the trip. I may use only one or two of the items but I enjoy the planning. If I get one thing that helps me hey I am happy. My DH is completely different and we are both happy. What is the phrase "one man's pleasure is anothers poison" (or something like that).

I have read some of the other threads about the "What to and Not to Bring" , but I do usually learn something new each time. Last time the little suction cup hooks for the shower were mentioned (beacause the cord thingie in the shower never really works right, and always sag down) to hang up swimwear , etc. I took a small package of them, they were great. and I just removed them to go home, no harm no foul. And after reading the new thread about using a surge protector, that is going to be a must for me next time. Many of the items on the lists I don't take, but a few make it into our luggage. To each their own.

Cori

I just returned from a long cruise and I packed many things that were suggested on another site. One I really found useful was the mesh shower bag which I bought from Serendipity. Princess also sells them on the ship .

I pack a shoebox size plastic container for each of us for toiletries and put them in the checked luggage. No hassle at airport security and things are secure with no fear of things like toothpaste getting squashed. The boxes fit under the sink when not in use.

I don't think Purex makes the 3-1 sheets any longer, they replaced them with one of those pod things. I really liked those sheets for when we travel, easy to pack and easy to use.

You can still buy them online, plus I have found them in stores on a hit-and-miss basis. Some Walmarts still have them, but not ours; I found some at Walgreens. I now have enough to last me for years, since I only use them for traveling.

For traveling, they work much better than the 'pods', since they aren't liquid.

Purex does not make the 3 in 1 but a new one is out there. Found S2O at Rite Aid and they work great. Wife used it to remove a stain from a shirt that had been thru the dryer and it removed the stain completely.

I don't think Purex makes the 3-1 sheets any longer, they replaced them with one of those pod things. I really liked those sheets for when we travel, easy to pack and easy to use.

Love the 3-1 sheets over pods Thank you Amazon, but Pods will take over :(, The Highlighter is great idea I use it for the Patter love the idea for Bingo never thought about that one I can stop packing the dabber was always afraid it would leak.

You can buy designer lanyards if you want to dress up your attire at Walgreens, clips (staples) for pulling curtains together for the long days in Alaska...

Instead of magnetic clips I found some magnetic paper pads (dollar store) for leaving notes to catch up with your traveling partners. We have one inside and one on outside for when we have others traveling with us. (walls are magnetic for those who may not of known)

Edited by Arizona-Cruising

I enjoy trying to reduce luggage to a mimimun and finding new ways each trip to do so. But I added something to what we bring onboard last cruise and will do so again next time. Battery operated led type tea lights. Was recommended by someone on CC. They had them at the dollar store in FLL. Turned one on in bathroom at night, and off in the morning, one lasted the 10 days of the cruise. Just enough light (no need for bright lights in the night) and saves us from turning the big light on before getting into the bathroom ( can wake up DH).

Some great ideas. We also take a bit of duck tape. Never know when it might come in handy.

And I always take a travel mug. Can fill up and take along when you are relaxing.

Louise

The plastic tag holders are from Favors by Serendipity. I had trouble finding the website at first, but found it and just ordered 8 of them. Thanks for the tip - we were wondering how we were going to attach those paper tags! I had looked around in a couple of local stores but didn't see anything that would work.

We were on a 49 day cruise on the Grand Princess and someone from our roll call had recommended small magnets to attach important notes to the walls. I put our roll call calendar up (along with a few pictures). It worked great! I also took a few plastic clothes pegs and used them to hang things on the clothes line in the shower as well as to the back of our chairs on our balcony.

I take magnetic clips...the walls are metal so they work well to hang up hats, and other items depending on size of clips. If you are lucky you can win them as a trivia prize.

A clip on battery powered reading light is all good...not always enough light to read by at night, plus it does not disturb my husband if he wants to sleep. I still like books (not reading on my I-pad)

I read somewhere that you need to take a small shelf to use in the shower. I found a product called gotoob that is a 2 oz container that has a suction cup on the bottle that sticks to the shower tub! I got several at BB&B.

Clorox wipes- I am not usually paranoid about germs but do not relish being sick on the cruise.

Purex 3 in 1 sheets- Someone suggested this and it makes sense to me if you do laundry.

A chill attitude!

:) I have read a zillion helpful hints here on CC... I have to say three I have used the most:

Clothes Pins...always bring a few to hang our wet things on the bathroom shower line.

Small Flash Light...for just in case.

Zip Lock Baggies...I take a gallon zip lock, put in a wet hand towel fill it 1/2 full of ice..add just a bit of water...and tuck it into my insulated carry bag. It is so great when we take 'hot' excursions or if we are on a 'beach' day...to cool us down or wash off the ocean water.:D

:) I have read a zillion helpful hints here on CC... I have to say three I have used the most:

Clothes Pins...always bring a few to hang our wet things on the bathroom shower line.

Small Flash Light...for just in case.

Zip Lock Baggies...I take a gallon zip lock, put in a wet hand towel fill it 1/2 full of ice..add just a bit of water...and tuck it into my insulated carry bag. It is so great when we take 'hot' excursions or if we are on a 'beach' day...to cool us down or wash off the ocean water.:D

One tip I learned on CC (for packing clothes really) is that things must have more than 1 use.

I don't always stick to this advice, but I try.

I think the Zip Lock tip for "hot' excursions is fabulous and I certainly will be using it for our upcoming trip which has a LOT of HOT excursions - and a couple of 'beach days'

We always take the following:

A surge protector -- not so much for the surge protection but for extra plug ins -- and they make them so they rotate.

An alarm clock / white noise machine -- the one we have used for years projects the time onto the ceiling. Always nice when it is not convenient to having it next to your bed. The white noise is nice if you happen into a room that is noisy. Also, this acts as an alarm clock.

Pictures of loved ones or pets that cannot be with you for the cabin.

Foldable laundry hamper for dirty clothes.

Small caddy with suction cups for the shower -- especially good for when you bring your own soap. If you hang it high enough, the water stream doesn't disintegrate your soap.

And always -- a luggage scale to weigh your luggage before sending it off on the plane. Tons of savings here -- if you are next door to us, we let you borrow it and believe me -- everyone always wants to borrow it.

Just something I hadn't seen previously mentioned and it is something we never cruise without -- unless going out of our beautiful home port of San Francisco.

We have a cheap shoe organizer that we hang on the bathroom door, for all those things that overflow the medicine cabinets. We also keep the shampoo, conditioner, shower soap in it since you can reach it from the shower and can't fall off the shelf onto the floor.

Same here. One of those plastic shoe organizers with about 20 or so pockets. Great for holding all the little stuff and keeping the desk clear.

Some of your favourite treats that you can't source on the ship and likewise some nibblies/nuts for your balcony wine sessions. Sadly, olives are no longer available at the buffet.

I like to buy these (and wine if possible) at a supermarket near port and avoid using luggage space.

Some of your favourite treats that you can't source on the ship and likewise some nibblies/nuts for your balcony wine sessions. Sadly, olives are no longer available at the buffet.

I like to buy these (and wine if possible) at a supermarket near port and avoid using luggage space.

We bring on our favorite chips, nuts and snack items too :) Love having those items in our cabin to go with a great glass of wine or a cocktail while enjoying our balcony;) DH loves his olives...hmmmm...may add them next cruise.

We bring the mesh laundry bags - one (or two) for each of us - to store our dirty laundry. I found them in four different colors at the dollar store and bought a different color for each of us (there are four of us). At the end of the day (and if you can't/won't re-wear something) just put it in the mesh bag. Spares us from having to figure out what's clean and what's dirty. Helps keep laundry contained and not spread all over the room. Also helps when we get home - we just each take our mesh bag to the laundry room and there's no sorting.

I find ziplock bags of various sizes very helpful. Hubby had bought a large duffel type of bag years ago (when we had our kid's booster seat to carry) that we use for the dirty laundry. I also bring a magnet to use on the wall. Hubby will tape a map of the itinerary onto the big mirror. Somehow we never got a memo pad, so it was fortunate that I packed a little one so we can leave messages for each other. Sometimes hubby will tape one to the cabin door so if our teen came back to the cabin, she wouldn't even need to come in to find out where we had gone.

We don't bother to bring surge suppressors, electrical strips, as we usually just charge up one thing at a time. Hasn't been a problem yet. We also haven't found the need to bring the various organizers mentioned. Each of us will have our toiletry bag and we'll try to share the counter with those three.

I also try to bring all the possible medications we may need, even though this time I didn't bring enough Sudafed and bandaids so next time, those will probably the first I pack. I thought I had packed a clothespin, but I guess I was about to, and got distracted. So one of those will definitely get packed third.

I was glad that I saved the 3-in-1 sheets that I bought in 2010 for that cruise. I guess down the line, will have to hope to find pods in allergen free formula.