Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

:) I have read a zillion helpful hints here on CC... I have to say three I have used the most:

Clothes Pins...always bring a few to hang our wet things on the bathroom shower line.

Small Flash Light...for just in case.

Zip Lock Baggies...I take a gallon zip lock, put in a wet hand towel fill it 1/2 full of ice..add just a bit of water...and tuck it into my insulated carry bag. It is so great when we take 'hot' excursions or if we are on a 'beach' day...to cool us down or wash off the ocean water.:D

This last item is excellent but i have one small thing to add...when in Athens last Aug it was 106F ( 43C or so) at the Parthenon. I had hat, water, sunscreen and still suffered from early signs of heat exhaustion.

The saving grace was my husbands cloth handkerchief ( he is old school) which he drenched with water and tied around the back of my neck. It revived me.

For the rest of the Grand Med cruise, i wore the hankie like a scarf and every time i used a washroom or saw a fountain ( yes even down an alley in Pompeii) I would soak the hankie and retie on my neck.

I know there are neck cooler things you can buy from CVS but this is easy and portable and easy to pack.

I read somewhere that you need to take a small shelf to use in the shower. I found a product called gotoob that is a 2 oz container that has a suction cup on the bottle that sticks to the shower tub! I got several at BB&B.

Clorox wipes- I am not usually paranoid about germs but do not relish being sick on the cruise.

Purex 3 in 1 sheets- Someone suggested this and it makes sense to me if you do laundry.

A chill attitude!

I bought the gotoob or something similar and tried it out at home first. It kept losing suction and falling. A total waste.

I've become very committed to light travel. I read through onebag.com after I heard Doug Dyment being interviewed 6 years ago, and became hooked. I always travel with one - and only one - bag. A single carry on. Nothing else. Several weeks overseas, many countries? No problem. Long cruise? done. Requires thinking it through, planning, having a small number of multi-use reusable items that ate small and light. Read onebag.com. It CAN be done. Promise.

I found a good app called "Pack the Bag", which you can add things to and it will remind you how many items you forgot. Check it out.

Tom

I use the app for all my trips even short weekends it helps remind me of the last minute check offs and a few you don't think about. Its simple and free.....

Edited by Arizona-Cruising

I've become very committed to light travel. I read through onebag.com after I heard Doug Dyment being interviewed 6 years ago, and became hooked. I always travel with one - and only one - bag. A single carry on. Nothing else. Several weeks overseas, many countries? No problem. Long cruise? done. Requires thinking it through, planning, having a small number of multi-use reusable items that ate small and light. Read onebag.com. It CAN be done. Promise.

Thanks! I am reading onebag.com. I love the Red Oxx Air Boss Carry on bag. I am thinking of getting one for each of us for our British Isles cruise with land stays in Paris and London. It would make all the train travel easy! Plus we are staying in apartments so it would be able to do laundry.

Melody I checked out the website and liked it. When you leave on a 2 week trip, going by onebag's instructions, how many sets of clothes would you bring for daywear? Can you really pack everything in just a carry on? The trip I am preparing for is an Alaskan cruise with several days on land. Temperatures from 70 to 40 degrees. His way of packing is unique and I bet it does save some room in the suitcase.

Onebag is interesting. How many day outfits would you pack for 2 weeks with 7 days on the cruise? Do you use his system for packing in the bag?

The ziploc bags serve another purpose.

If you are doing your own excursion or going on an excursion where they don't serve meals, you can use them to bring your own food.

You can order sandwiches from room service and place them in the ziploc bags. You can then put them in an insulated tote like this one from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Raya-Insulated-Modern-Design/dp/B009SNOC36/ref=pd_sim_hg_8

This is helpful if you're going to a port where they only take local currency for food purchases or you just don't want to spend the money on food.

We're cruising to Norway this summer where local food is so expensive. I have zip locks on my list to bring cheese, crackers, sandwiches, etc. ashore for a "free" lunch.

We're cruising to Norway this summer where local food is so expensive. I have zip locks on my list to bring cheese, crackers, sandwiches, etc. ashore for a "free" lunch.

This is illegal in many ports/countries

The ziploc bags serve another purpose.

If you are doing your own excursion or going on an excursion where they don't serve meals, you can use them to bring your own food.

You can order sandwiches from room service and place them in the ziploc bags. You can then put them in an insulated tote like this one from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Raya-Insulated-Modern-Design/dp/B009SNOC36/ref=pd_sim_hg_8

This is helpful if you're going to a port where they only take local currency for food purchases or you just don't want to spend the money on food.

This is illegal in many countries.

Some of your favourite treats that you can't source on the ship and likewise some nibblies/nuts for your balcony wine sessions. Sadly, olives are no longer available at the buffet.

I like to buy these (and wine if possible) at a supermarket near port and avoid using luggage space.

I've asked nicely at Crooner's or Adagio and the bartender has been happy to give me a wine glass full of olives. The blue cheese stuffed ones are especially yummy. :)

Zip Lock Baggies...I take a gallon zip lock, put in a wet hand towel fill it 1/2 full of ice..add just a bit of water...and tuck it into my insulated carry bag. It is so great when we take 'hot' excursions or if we are on a 'beach' day...to cool us down or wash off the ocean water.:D

What a great idea!! I will be using this one on our Med cruise this August :cool:

You can still find sites that sell them thru Amazon.com but yes Purex doesn't make them anymore...(I do buy them thru Amazon.......they have many sites that still carry them....I only use them for vacations/cruises.)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=purex+3+in+1+sheets&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=859523603&ref=pd_sl_2m6q6qjulz_e

Places like Camping World also carry this type of laundry sheets - not Purex, but they work the same.

Melody I checked out the website and liked it. When you leave on a 2 week trip, going by onebag's instructions, how many sets of clothes would you bring for daywear? Can you really pack everything in just a carry on? The trip I am preparing for is an Alaskan cruise with several days on land. Temperatures from 70 to 40 degrees. His way of packing is unique and I bet it does save some room in the suitcase.

Hi Gumboroux

I am really just starting to investigate this. We will be traveling with 2 teens so they can manage their own bags. I am thinking if we all had one of these:

http://www.redoxx.com/air-boss/91018/product

My husband could also have this for his computer if needed:

http://www.redoxx.com/Briefcases-and-Garment-Bags/Metro-Briefcase/91095/130/Product

I can use this for ipads, phones, passports, tickets and cameras:

http://www.redoxx.com/Backpacks-Daypacks/Chica/91005/160/Product

Or this bigger one:

http://www.redoxx.com/Briefcases-and-Garment-Bags/Gator-Carry-On-Bag/91002/130/Product

We will have 4 nights in Paris and 4 nights in London followed by a 12 day cruise. If I do laundry, we could swing it. Now what do I do about souvenirs? Maybe all have the airboss and pack one rolling back to check and share it?

I'm really not sure how much to pack yet. Maybe one set of jeans, 2 capris, 2 tshirts, 3 nice tops, 2 pjs, light jacket with hood, sweater and a pair of sandals. Actually, wear the jeans and jacket on the plane. Always wear your bulky items, right? Bring travel size toiletries and shop for full size when you get there. The ship does have nice enough shampoo/conditioner.

Any thoughts?

I create a calendar to write on the days we are in port for how long, when we set sail..and which ports we have a tour...also, I write on the calendar when we have reservations on the ship..such as dining reservations or whether we have chef's meal,,,etc.

Thanks! I am reading onebag.com. I love the Red Oxx Air Boss Carry on bag. I am thinking of getting one for each of us for our British Isles cruise with land stays in Paris and London. It would make all the train travel easy! Plus we are staying in apartments so it would be able to do laundry.

Yep. You've. Nailed it! I had a Red Oxx Air Boss on my first cruise. It was my only bag. I still think I over packed! I lost that bag - and everything else I owned - in a house fire in August (no one hurt). I replaced the bag with a Tom Bihn Aeronaut. Either bag works great. I also sometimes use the slightly smaller Tom Bihn Tristar bag.

It takes some planning, but once you take this plunge, and really commit to. It, you'll be hooked. One bag is the way to go.

It is truly liberating (just as the website says) to commit to one bag travel. No problems if flight bumped/delayed/missed. No waiting for bags to be delivered to stateroom. No placing bags out on night before disembarkation. You've always got all your "stuff" with you.

Hi Gumboroux

I am really just starting to investigate this. We will be traveling with 2 teens so they can manage their own bags. I am thinking if we all had one of these:

http://www.redoxx.com/air-boss/91018/product

My husband could also have this for his computer if needed:

http://www.redoxx.com/Briefcases-and-Garment-Bags/Metro-Briefcase/91095/130/Product

I can use this for ipads, phones, passports, tickets and cameras:

http://www.redoxx.com/Backpacks-Daypacks/Chica/91005/160/Product

Or this bigger one:

http://www.redoxx.com/Briefcases-and-Garment-Bags/Gator-Carry-On-Bag/91002/130/Product

We will have 4 nights in Paris and 4 nights in London followed by a 12 day cruise. If I do laundry, we could swing it. Now what do I do about souvenirs? Maybe all have the airboss and pack one rolling back to check and share it?

I'm really not sure how much to pack yet. Maybe one set of jeans, 2 capris, 2 tshirts, 3 nice tops, 2 pjs, light jacket with hood, sweater and a pair of sandals. Actually, wear the jeans and jacket on the plane. Always wear your bulky items, right? Bring travel size toiletries and shop for full size when you get there. The ship does have nice enough shampoo/conditioner.

Any thoughts?

If you follow the advice on onebag.com, your family could totally do this. An Air Boss for each person is plenty. Very excellent durable bags that will last a life time. Each person can get all they need into such a bag.

Let's face it. Most people over pack a ton more that they need, but have stuff "just in case." Or, they pack with choices that are redundant and bulky and inefficient and could be accomplished with a smaller amount of more wisely chosen items that reduce bulk and weight. If you prepare - and prepare properly - you can travel with one bag, a carry on, and go anywhere, for any length of time. That frees you up to actually travel, worry less about all kinds of logistics, and have what you want with you at all times to boot!

I talked my wife and two teenagers into this on a 2 week trip from US to the middle east and Italy and back home. Worked just fine, everyone happy. No checked bags, ever. Easy to go from hotel to hotel (we must have had 8 separate hotels that trip). So easy to pack and unpack. Everyone had all they needed. I realize we here are all talking about cruises, so the pack and repack thing is not a problem. But ... Still ....

I just bought some more of the Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets at Amazon. I probably got enough to use for the rest of my natural vacationing life and I am only 50. I got 80 for $15.95. If I do more than 80 loads of laundry while away, in the 30-35 years, then I must be able to afford a valet! LOL :p

For sure a night light in the loo. Even the more so if you are in an inside cabin; there is no ambient light coming from anywhere to a light in the loo will help you find your way as required. I have another in my room somewhere so I don't stub my toes at night.

Everything else would be personal preference but a night light is a safety thing.