Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

Cool thanks!

Sometimes I use the ultra huge ziploc bags to pack things in before putting into the suitcase. Once in Seattle, our bags sat out on the tarmac in th rain when a cart broke down. Some of the stuff inside got wet. The huge ziplocs prevent this.

Also, I use the plastic bags from the dry cleaner when I pack. They can be folded around items and they will prevent wrinkling. Also, I fold one at the bottom of the bag and then place one over the top and kind of stuff them around the edge in case of rain somewhere. They weigh nothing.

I

The best price I have found is on eBay.

Plastic baskets!! They weigh nothing, go in the suitcase and I fill/pack around them. Oblong ones go in each nightstand (in the opening) to hold Kindles, glasses, small flashlights, earplugs, meds, or anything else that might clutter the top of the nightstand. A pretty square basket on the desk is a catch-all for sunglasses, sail cards, pens, camera, Ipod, spare change, etc. Noooo clutter in my cabin!

My favorite pillowcases - lightweight, yet add color and "home" to the bed

A small mesh bag works well as a shower caddy.

I put a larger mesh bag on a hanger in the closet for dirty clothes.

Plastic spritz bottle - fill with warm water and spritz away wrinkles

I pack all casual clothes IN various sized Ziplocs and store them on the closet shelves.

Put all valuables in a ziploc before putting in safe.

I wish it was that easy!!!! ;)

Cool thanks!

Sometimes I use the ultra huge ziploc bags to pack things in before putting into the suitcase. Once in Seattle, our bags sat out on the tarmac in th rain when a cart broke down. Some of the stuff inside got wet. The huge ziplocs prevent this.

Also, I use the plastic bags from the dry cleaner when I pack. They can be folded around items and they will prevent wrinkling. Also, I fold one at the bottom of the bag and then place one over the top and kind of stuff them around the edge in case of rain somewhere. They weigh nothing.

I

A couple of years ago someone told me about the cleaners bag trick. I never believed it would work but it does!

Do you have a website link to shop for these?

Hi, I use "Eagle Creek" packing cubes etc. they are the best thing.

you can buy them on the net

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

I always bring 2.00 bills for room service tips

A flash light to go to the loo and use while in there at night

Extra hooks

Electrical strip to plug in Christmas lights (we decorate the balcony)

My king size pillow ( Ricardo luggage has a zip front and not expandable so you can zip your pillow right in.)

Extra soft fleece blanket 50x70

Mesh laundry bag

Hand sanitizer to use in the ports

I have the cabin steward remove the mini bar stuff in the fringe so I can put chocolate strawberries or cheese from the buffet in there to eat on the balcony

Post it note paper

Used to bring walkie talkies..lol

Have fun Bon Voyage!

Things I always take:

Plug strip. It is a small one with 3 plug slots.

"Second Skin" and blister band aids for our feet since we do tons of walking plus dancing every night. Tip: If you have a traditionally sensitive spot on your foot, paint it with Second Skin before you take extra long walks in ports. That will protect it.

Travel cork screw.

Can opener of the Church Key variety so I can open my own beer. I have arthritis in my hands and have issues with opening things.

Small scissors.

We always buy each of us a coffee mug early on in our cruise to commemorate the cruise, mostly because we hate those small cups they bring with room service breakfast.

Lots of Starbucks Via. I hate ship coffee.

e!

There are about 2000 threads on CC about tipping w $2.00 bills. All of them indicate that the people who receive this play money hate them because when they try to spend them, nobody believes that they are real money. Why do you insist on making life more difficult for the hard working crew members? If you want to tip $2.00, give them 2 ones.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

There are about 2000 threads on CC about tipping w $2.00 bills. All of them indicate that the people who receive this play money hate them because when they try to spend them, nobody believes that they are real money. Why do you insist on making life more difficult for the hard working crew members? If you want to tip $2.00, give them 2 ones.

DON

LOL - you beat me to it!

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but if you have multiple electronic devices that need to be charged (camera, iphone, laptop, etc.) I would recommend picking up a cheap power strip. I usually carry the kind I find for $2 at hardware store sales. That way if the bags are full at the end of the trip if can just be left behind.

Would agree with others here that a supply of $1 bills is also very handy. :)

Edited by TexasCPA

Why?

On my last cruise, my waiter showed me a $2 bill someone had

given him. He was going to toss it because he didn't think it

was real.

Other than buying a vote, is there something clever about a $2 bill?

DON

Why?

was real.

I agree about the $2 bills but I don't understand why people bring a stack of singles, either. I bring a couple to get started but find having one $50 bill in my wallet or purse much easier to carry and I've never had guest services give me any problems changing that into 50 singles once I'm onboard. ;)

Edited by chamima

Lush products (www dot lushusa dot com) makes wonderful solid shampoos that come in a tin container and are great for travel. Many of their other products help avoid the "liquid" issue in carryon luggage.

Also, we too take our old underwear and throw them away each day during our vacations. Gives more room in the luggage, then get to buy nice new undies after returning home. :p

We did that on our last trip. We spent two days in London after a 14 day cruise so we threw out all our underwear and some old shirts and turtle necks. Thank God we did because our luggage was slightly over the weight limit, we didn't get charged, so that helped.

I just bought a jacket to wear in Alaska that is too heavy and will probably never use it again since we live in Florida, so I plan to leave it at the hotel in Seattle when we return. I will put a note on it so the housekeeping staff can give it to anyone that will need it.

For sure a night light in the loo. Even the more so if you are in an inside cabin; there is no ambient light coming from anywhere to a light in the loo will help you find your way as required. I have another in my room somewhere so I don't stub my toes at night.

Everything else would be personal preference but a night light is a safety thing.

Will you need special glasses to watch the solar eclipse on November 3, 2013?

Are you still planning on being on the Crown Princess during the eclipse?

Hi, I use "Eagle Creek" packing cubes etc. they are the best thing.

you can buy them on the net

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Love love love my packing cubes...keeps my things organized. I have packing cubes from Ebags and from Eagle Creek. Ebags periodically has good sales.

Melissa

I just bought a jacket to wear in Alaska that is too heavy and will probably never use it again since we live in Florida, so I plan to leave it at the hotel in Seattle when we return. I will put a note on it so the housekeeping staff can give it to anyone that will need it.

If I were you I would take the jacket back and buy layers instead. A waterproof windbreaker with a fleece, and a long-sleeved shirt is all you will need. I only ever take my sailing windbreaker (waterproof) and fleece when I go to Alaska. I was far colder in the UK last summer than I have ever been on an Alaskan cruise.

Even in Alaska, that is by far the smartest way to go. I have seen the temperatures in Ketchikan go from 90F and sunny one day to 45F and raining like crazy the next, but when the weather gets that nasty, you won't want to be going out at all.

After reading the hint about the 20-24 clear pocket, over the door shoe organizer, I bought one at Wal-Mart for under $10. We took it along on a 16 day trip in France, it wasn't a cruise, however this worked so well. We rented a house that didn't have much counter space in the bathroom, so I hung this on our bathroom door, not only did it keep me organized but it was easy to see everything and avoided clutter or scrounging thru bags. When we packed to head home I emptied it, folded up and voila'. Ready for the next trip which is a cruise. Thanks for such a wonderful hint.

Love love love my packing cubes...keeps my things organized. I have packing cubes from Ebags and from Eagle Creek. Ebags periodically has good sales.

Melissa

Melissa, Ebags are the brand I have and I found them at a better price on eBay than at the ebags site. Same store ,same bags, different price and no shipping charge.

I agree that layers are the way to go in Alaska. I think you will be surprised how warm it gets there. Also, there is a store in Ketcikan that sells really nice mid weight jackets for a great price. I paid $20 for mine about two years ago.

Lots of Starbucks Via. I hate ship coffee.

I loathe the syrup coffee onboard Princess. That is why I always get a coffee card and get the free brewed coffee with it. I usually find my fav coffee spot early on and go there each time. Last cruise on the Island Princess, there was a bar in between the Horizon Court and Caribe. The two tenders there could usuly see me coming and they would start a fresh pot.

DON

I wish there were a "like" button on this forum. I so agree with this

DON

Hi Don!

Thanks for your comment. I have had such incredible feedback from these tips. One lady told me she thought it brought her good luck, as she got pregnant after I gave her one and she had been trying for a long time. (This was not on a ship, but in a local restaurant)

Another told others workers and they came to my room asking if we had more. So I must be just meeting the right people..so sorry if you are not. :)

I love $2 bills! I collect them, and have always found them interesting, and good luck as well!

Why?

was real.

If I were you I would take the jacket back and buy layers instead. A waterproof windbreaker with a fleece, and a long-sleeved shirt is all you will need. I only ever take my sailing windbreaker (waterproof) and fleece when I go to Alaska. I was far colder in the UK last summer than I have ever been on an Alaskan cruise.

Even in Alaska, that is by far the smartest way to go. I have seen the temperatures in Ketchikan go from 90F and sunny one day to 45F and raining like crazy the next, but when the weather gets that nasty, you won't want to be going out at all.

I agree - I had a thin fleece worn with long sleeve cotton t's - more than enough - and we toured via land first starting in Fairbanks down into Denali for 3 days and then to Seward where we boarded - coldest 2-3 hours were when the ship went next to the glacier -

Return the jacket.