Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

Great idea!!!

Suggestion for ladies who pack nail polish ..... A couple of years ago I had put a bottle of polish in one of my cosmetic bags that was packed in a checked suitcase, as I had done many times before. When I got home and opened that suitcase I immediately smelled nail polish. Panic time!

Somehow the neck of the polish bottle had gotten cracked (maybe thanks to overly-enthusastic baggage handlers??), and the polish leaked on everything in the cosmetic bag. Fortunately it was contained in the bag and none got on anything in the suitcase.

Now when I pack nail polish, it goes in an empty pill bottle that has been lined with a bit of bubble wrap for cushioning. It's well protected and if it should happen to leak it would be contained in the pill bottle.

I pack a few magnets for hanging up messages, notices, and other important papers on the cabin wall near t desk, so they are easily seen, rather than getting lost in a pile stuff on the desk.

THANK YOU! I'd intended to take a clipboard folder with me to contain the paperwork, and a friend has sent me a tablet (computer) holder to also help keep the paperwork under control. I'm now on the lookout for some magnets to bring with me!

Crochetcruise :cool:

THANK YOU! I'd intended to take a clipboard folder with me to contain the paperwork, and a friend has sent me a tablet (computer) holder to also help keep the paperwork under control. I'm now on the lookout for some magnets to bring with me!

Boutique sells them, if you are planning to buy some. You don't have to carry them, you don't demagnetize your credit cards by accident, and they are souvenirs and not expensive.

Suggestion for ladies who pack nail polish ..... A couple of years ago I had put a bottle of polish in one of my cosmetic bags that was packed in a checked suitcase, as I had done many times before. When I got home and opened that suitcase I immediately smelled nail polish. Panic time!

Somehow the neck of the polish bottle had gotten cracked (maybe thanks to overly-enthusastic baggage handlers??), and the polish leaked on everything in the cosmetic bag. Fortunately it was contained in the bag and none got on anything in the suitcase.

Now when I pack nail polish, it goes in an empty pill bottle that has been lined with a bit of bubble wrap for cushioning. It's well protected and if it should happen to leak it would be contained in the pill bottle.

Our newspaper comes in a plastic "sleeve", and I save them for traveling. I put the nail polish bottle in the bottom of the bag and wrap it up. It's well protected, and if anything breaks it will be totally contained. I use the sleeves for anything that might leak or break, one item per bag.

Boutique sells them, if you are planning to buy some. You don't have to carry them, you don't demagnetize your credit cards by accident, and they are souvenirs and not expensive.

THANK YOU! I did plan to carry each magnet in it's own Ziploc bag, totally separated, and in the carry on case, nowhere near my purse and cards, have heard about that demagnetizing problem before!

Ah, make sure I have bags to hold individual person's souvenirs, have several friends for whom I will be buying, so must organise (plenty of time at 17 months out :D) some cheap plastic shopping bags. My local supermarket sells them for $AUD 0.15 each, so quite easy to grab something small and a bag as well, just need to make notes on WHO I'm buying for, so I don't get too many, those bags tend to multiply! I HAD forgotten about keeping individual presents separate, nicely spotted and very tactful in passing the information, I must take lessons from you-tact is NOT something I'm at all familiar with unfortunately, far more tactless!

I always take anything breakable in zip lock bags. A great protection incase something breaks. I also have some padded wine bags in case I want to bring some wine back. The souvenir shop has wrapped wine bottles for me with bubble wrap and then I put them into the wine bags. I also pack some bubble wrap incase I need more.

My I Pad serves as a night clock and a night light.

Tom:cool:

Our newspaper comes in a plastic "sleeve", and I save them for traveling. I put the nail polish bottle in the bottom of the bag and wrap it up. It's well protected, and if anything breaks it will be totally contained. I use the sleeves for anything that might leak or break, one item per bag.

I have a different use for newspaper sleeves when packing ..... I have found that they are a perfect size for a pair of shoes!! So no dirty shoe soles will be touching my clothes.

And the Sunday paper sleeve is larger, so shoes that are bulkier. ie. sneakers, fit nicely in one of them.

Regarding magnets -- In my cosmetic bag I carry two clip style magnetic clips -- I won them on a Princes cruise - but I have plenty extra from advertising give aways -- many 'chip' clips come with a magnet on the back - a trip to the dollar store will set you up with a few

A big thanks to WehWalt - I will take a look at the coffee maker -- :D

azippy

I have a different use for newspaper sleeves when packing ..... I have found that they are a perfect size for a pair of shoes!! So no dirty shoe soles will be touching my clothes.

And the Sunday paper sleeve is larger, so shoes that are bulkier. ie. sneakers, fit nicely in one of them.

Yes, we use them for shoes, too. DH's shoes go in the Sunday bags, and mine fit in the daily bags. Those bags are very useful for all kinds of travel necessities.

If you are bringing a bottle of wine and need to pack it in your suitcase for air travel, this works well. It may seem overboard, but it is a great way to insure that any kind of liquid says contained in case of spillage. I have used it for hair products I can't just buy at the local drug store in port. When I pack items like this, I usually take the amount I need so that no packing has to occur on the return trip.

I use a disposable baby diaper and wrap the item(s) with it and secure with packing tape. Then I seal that in a vac pack meal saver type bag (Foodsaver). The Foodsaver heatseal is better than a ziploc because it won't come unsealed. And we all know that a baby diaper can hold a crazy amount of liquid.

When I have posted this on other threads, I get people who just go nuts that I would go to this trouble. But if you have ever had an expensive product compromised or your clothing ruined, you may go to great measures. It is a personal choice and my OCD stays in check knowing I have done my best to make sure everything stays clean. So, don't hate! LOL :rolleyes:

Edited by sunneesmile

We have quite a list!

1. 4 bar extension plug
  2. Multi charger plug (has four USB type ports to charge i devices)
  3. Sparkly lanyard ;)
  4. Highlighter pen
  5. Post its to leave messages to each other / cabin steward
  6. Children's hangers for the children's clothes
  7. Plastic zipped wallet to keep paperwork delivered to the cabin
  8. Information sheet for each ports with practical DIY information and fun facts for the children.
  9. Binoculars
  10. Box of wine
  11. Vouchers and discount codes for trips (Tesco vouchers will be used on the British Isles trip to get us into Camera Obscura and World of Illusions for free.
  12. Mini packs of tissues for trips
  13. Big Bag for the dirty washing
  14. Puzzle book
  15. Ear phones
  16. Photographs of passports on my phone in case they are lost
  17. Daily Patter when going off the ship in order to have the emergency contact details handy.
  18. Moroccan Argan Oil for my hair (essential if you ever go to the Blue Lagoon in Iceland)
  19. Nail Varnish remover pads - really handy for travel
  20. Sun tan lotion - even when heading north (ever the optimist)
  21. Local currency
  22. Indigestion tablets
  23. More shoes and clothes than I probably need. :o
  24. Travalos filled with favourite perfumes for my evening bag
  25. Paper work to show OBC, prepaid excursions etc
  26. The rest of the family!!

Edited by Jo and Rob

We are still in the planning stages of our first Princess Cruise but have cruised on RCCL. I am pretty sure you can't take a coffee maker on their ships can you take one on Princess? I would hate to go to the trouble of getting one and having it held before even using it.

I agree about buying magnets along the way I wouldn't bother to take one with me. I did take a lot of these things listed on my last cruise that I won't bother with again. The biggest being the shoe holder. I think I would rather use a make up bag or two for these things as there will be a lot less of them this time around.

Happy Cruising

Connie

We are still in the planning stages of our first Princess Cruise but have cruised on RCCL. I am pretty sure you can't take a coffee maker on their ships can you take one on Princess? I would hate to go to the trouble of getting one and having it held before even using it.

Connie

We just order coffee from room service as soon as we wake up. It usually arrives in about 10 min. It is free and we tend to tip $3 if it is just coffee and $5 if we get OJ and smoked salmon along with it.

I agree about buying magnets along the way I wouldn't bother to take one with me. I did take a lot of these things listed on my last cruise that I won't bother with again. The biggest being the shoe holder. I think I would rather use a make up bag or two for these things as there will be a lot less of them this time around.

Happy Cruising

Connie

Anything electrical has to have an auto-shut off (except for hair dryers, go figure:)).

Happy Cruising

Connie

I would be surprised if they allowed a coffee maker. And I agree, it's just as easy to order room service coffee or take a little walk down to the International Cafe.

I may still bring my shoe bag thingie, but i usually hang it in the closet with the clothes. It doesn't take up much space and I use it to store stuff we don't use every day, like batteries, sun screen, scarves,

etc....

I think the coffee maker falls into -- if there is a will there is a way -- How do ppl get irons on ??? I wouldn't give up the space/weight in my luggage however.

The Hurtrugen cruise only has a cafeteria ($) for off hours - I think an old style immersion heater and some tea bags will be better choice !!! I always bring a dollar store mug with me (or buy one along the way) - the cups on any cruise are so small.

So many of these "hints" fall into personal choice, but always interesting !!! I always make room for my clothes steamer = I hate wrinkles!! :p

Edited by azippy

Was it this blog that I saw someone mention -- Argon Oil for use after the Blue Lagoon??? I am heading there this OCT ~~ any hints would be appreciated. I have read so many horror stories about washing your hair afterward!!

Some non-dramatic info would be great !!!:D

azippy

I think the coffee maker falls into -- if there is a will there is a way -- How do ppl get irons on ??? I wouldn't give up the space/weight in my luggage however.

The Hurtrugen cruise only has a cafeteria ($) for off hours - I think an old style immersion heater and some tea bags will be better choice !!! I always bring a dollar store mug with me (or buy one along the way) - the cups on any cruise are so small.

So many of these "hints" fall into personal choice, but always interesting !!! I always make room for my clothes steamer = I hate wrinkles!! :p

I'm on the 9th day of a 9 day cruise on Liberty of the Seas. I've found the coffee maker very useful. I think it will be even more useful on my next Princess cruise. Since it includes a travel mug, that replaces the one I usually bring with me. A smaller one would be nice, though, will keep looking.

I enjoy trying to reduce luggage to a mimimun and finding new ways each trip to do so. But I added something to what we bring onboard last cruise and will do so again next time. Battery operated led type tea lights. Was recommended by someone on CC. They had them at the dollar store in FLL. Turned one on in bathroom at night, and off in the morning, one lasted the 10 days of the cruise. Just enough light (no need for bright lights in the night) and saves us from turning the big light on before getting into the bathroom ( can wake up DH).

I bought those for my last cruise they work really great and enough light to see by when getting into that dark bathroom at night.

Candi

I have recently discovered packing cubes and packing envelopes, I love them. Everything is organized and arrives with minimal wrinkles. They also make it easy to redistribute between bags if you find one bag is over weight you can just move one cube to another bag.The slim cubes are great for small things like chargers, extra batteries etc.

I just saw these on Amazon and added them to my cart. I found a plastic wine bottle which I am still thinking about. I go to my friends a lot in the summer and this would be so good to take to her house instead of glass bottles.

Candi

PACKING CUBES

I too am a fan -- I use them at home for out of season clothing and sweaters -- for trips I have gone back to the 2 gallon Zip lock bags - the ones with the sliders -- after you squeeze the air out they are ultimately smaller and less bulky......some international airlines have lower weight limits and these too can be put in your tote if needed -

If you feel the need to have the plastic template to help you fold - cut a plastic place mat to size - watch the rough edges - a little making tape takes care of it .. For the ladies -- Chico ( or similar) "travelers" - I couldnt travel without them...there is always a sale & they pay for themselves in a few weeks of travel.. I can get 6 slacks/capris in a 2 gallon bag - when on the road for 8 weeks ~~~ nice to have options !!!

However you travel -- have great and safe trips !!!!

azippy

I bought those for my last cruise they work really great and enough light to see by when getting into that dark bathroom at night.

Candi

Also nice to have on the table on the balcony if you're enjoying a nightcap in the moonlight. [emoji4]