Do You Get Travel Insurance?

We have to have insurance for cruising from the UK; it can increase for certain countries if you have an ailment eg: OH's diabetes 2 is more expensive if we add Turkey or North Africa to a Med cruise, whereas for most European countries we have an EHIC card which provides free basic treatment in the EU, so the cost is not as high.

We needed that insurance last year, when OH broke his foot, and we had to cancel 2 b2b cruises with Celebrity and P&O.....:eek:

We have a year-round travel insurance which is updated automatically. Costs next to nothing, so I'd rather have it the one time something goes wrong ;)

I have an annual international medical and evacuation policy that is very inexpensive and covers all trips. I do not carry cruise and trip cancellation coverage as I self insure for that. I can afford the small losses - it is the really big ones that I can not afford.

DON

Could either of you provide that info? I'm sick of buying insurance for each individual trip and would love an annual cover all for trips. At leas that is how I read your posts.

Next question is... do they cover things where you can't cruise do to a parent in the hospital?

Could either of you provide that info? I'm sick of buying insurance for each individual trip and would love an annual cover all for trips. At leas that is how I read your posts.

Next question is... do they cover things where you can't cruise do to a parent in the hospital?

I'm interested too. We have to have pre-existing conditions for close family members covered, though, also due to elderly parents.

To address another post, we're certainly not cavalier about possibly losing the price of a cruise--which for us is generally in the $2-$3000 range for two weeks including hotel and extras but not airfare (we use FF miles and can get them returned to our account fairly cheaply).

We would hate to lose that much, but we wouldn't be financially ruined and could absorb a loss like that without a significant change in our life, but a catastrophic illness or accident could alter our savings/income to the point of affecting our lives.

It is TravelGap Gold from InsureMyTrip and no, it does not cover anything except medical and evacuation.

I do not know if there is a yearly policy that covers what you want as it would be very difficult to do the risk calculations for such a policy but you could call InsureMyTrip and ask.

DON

It is TravelGap Gold from InsureMyTrip and no, it does not cover anything except medical and evacuation.

I do not know if there is a yearly policy that covers what you want as it would be very difficult to do the risk calculations for such a policy but you could call InsureMyTrip and ask.

DON

Thanks--that's what I suspected, but I will call and find out the next time we go on a cruise.. Finding policies that include pre-existing conditions is getting harder and more expensive.

Archived