Ferry & Jeep in St John?

Wife and I are going to be coming into St Thomas on RCI boat in June. We want to head over to St John. We're adventurous/seasoned travelers and prefer to do stuff on our own. After doing some research, we *think* this is our best solution.

1. Ferry to St John from St Thomas (got schedules already printed out)

We want to hit Cinnamon Bay and a few other beach areas (maybe Salt Pond) just for some relaxing and light snorkeling.

2. Rent a Jeep for the day (looks to be around $80 or so) OR would we better off paying a taxi to takes us for Cinnamon Bay and then to Salt Pond? We planned on renting some snorkel gear from a place right there in Cruz Bay and just taking it wherever we go.

3. For lunch, grab snacks at Morgans Mango or Quiet Mon as we go from Cinnamon Bay to some other places.

Does this sound like a good way to spend time in St John? We're first time visitors here.

Thanks

JM

Yes, sounds perfect, I would agree with renting a car. We haven't driven St John yet but I know they just re-paved the main roads and it's an easy drive.

Friends enjoyed snorkeling Maho and Francis and enjoyed their time around Salt Pond and lunch in Coral Bay.

Are you ferrying from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? That's usually the better option for the ferry.

Have a great day!

We don't cruise into Crown Bay but you'll need to taxi to the STJ ferry.

The downtown ferry and Red Hook ferry are about the same amount of time and money to get to Cruz bay. You just travel by land for 1/2 hr from Crown to Red Hook and ferry for 15 minutes to Cruz rather than taxi 10 min to the CA ferry and ferry 40 min to Cruz.

We just prefer the RH option because it's more frequent, generally faster and the ferry across is in more protected waters all the way. But either way you'll have to taxi to the ferry from Crown.

Here's a map, the ferry is in the bay where "Charlotte Amalie" is written

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/images/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Yes check with a driver or the taxi coordinator at the dock, the cost from CA may be a little cheaper but you'll have a better idea of which works best for you after talking to them.

Enjoy your day!

After looking over our debarkation time & the ferry schedule, I think we're going to forgo the Jeep altogether and just grab a snack in Cruz Bay and then a taxi to Cinnamon Bay. Looks to be plenty to keep us occupied there for a couple hours or so.

JM

That would be our choice, we enjoy shopping and eating in Cruz, just so much more laid back as compared to Charlotte Amalie. Some great spots to eat including the Banana Deck and the Beach Bar which is on the beach.

Host Anne is an excellent source for anything St John, check her posts for useful info. She recently spent a week on STJ and wrote a nice report with great pics. We're more familiar with the East End of STT really.

Have a great day!

Hello Journeyman and Blue Water ~ thanks for the kind words, Blue Water. I do love St. John.

Journeyman ~ as Blue mentioned, the travel time to St. John is similar regardless of which ferry you take but the Charlotte Amalie ferry is less frequent and sometimes not dependable. Red Hook goes every hour on the hour and is very dependable both ways.

We were in port in Crown Bay last fall on Oasis. Because it's a fair distance to Red Hook, taxis like to wait until the fill completely before departing. Not a problem if there are a lot of people wanting to head to Red Hook. If not, you can sit and wait for a taxi to fill for 15 - 20 minutes. Caused us to miss the ferry we were hoping to catch. There has been a lot of discussion recently that Royal Caribbean has a ferry that picks up at Crown Bay and essentially provides transportation to St. John, drops you off for a couple of hours and then returns. I think I will actually look into that the next time we end up at Crown Bay. Might be worth asking about when you get on Allure.

There is a snack bar at Cinnamon. Nothing great but it's OK. Everyone raves about Jack & Sam's Deli but that would be about 15 - 20 minutes out of your way to stop on the way to the beach. I don't think Morgan's Mango nor Quiet Mon will be open on your way to the beach. Quiet Mon starts serving lunch at 12:30 and I couldn't a start time at Morgan's. Deli Grotto in Mongoose Junction might be your best bet to grab something to take to the beach.

Enjoy your day! Wish I were going, too!

Thanks for the info Anne!

I'll ask if there is an RCI ferry once we are underway. Not concerned about food a Cinnamon Bay as we're planning to hit a couple spots in Cruz Bay made famous by a popular musician for food & drinks.

If anything, we'll rent snorkel gear and maybe a kayak at Cinnamon Bay.

JM

Morgan's Mango is not open for lunch. Yes, Woody's is (I'm gathering that is what you are talking about), but The Sun Dog Cafe in Mongoose Junction has better food. Also the Deli Grotto in Mongoose Junction for to-go sandwiches.

We were disappointed with Woody's, may be a fun evening spot but the food was just ok. Banana Boat is highly regarded by STT boat crews and locals although we haven't been there yet. But Cruz Bay is where we would lunch of dine and it's also a nice place to shop, especially compared to downtown CA...

To Host Anne and others,

We'll be going over to St John when we arrive in St Thomas on Allure May 29 (Wed), and expect to take the Red Hook ferry due to its frequency. They'll be four of us (myself, wife, two adult boys... 28 & 31). We thought we'd rent a car or jeep in St John so we can leave our itinerary open until we arrive, including a bit of beach time, driving the island, lunch, etc.

However, it appears that many rental car companies in St John don't take advance reservations for 1-day rentals, only multi-day stays. True? Any recommendations? Is there any problem getting a rental car/jeep without a reservation?

Would prefer a rental car company at or close to ferry dock.

To Host Anne and others,

We'll be going over to St John when we arrive in St Thomas on Allure May 29 (Wed), and expect to take the Red Hook ferry due to its frequency. They'll be four of us (myself, wife, two adult boys... 28 & 31). We thought we'd rent a car or jeep in St John so we can leave our itinerary open until we arrive, including a bit of beach time, driving the island, lunch, etc.

However, it appears that many rental car companies in St John don't take advance reservations for 1-day rentals, only multi-day stays. True? Any recommendations? Is there any problem getting a rental car/jeep without a reservation?

Would prefer a rental car company at or close to ferry dock.

Just a bit more info...

I note that Allure is not scheduled to arrive in St Thomas until 10 AM so we won't get an early start to the ferry & St John, probably not arrive in St John until noonish. That might impact what we would plan, but any advice is still appreciated.

For a day trip to St. John, re the beaches:

Cinnamon bay was mentioned. That isa full service beach- it s the national park campgrounds. There isa place toest there- but the food is not too good. Better to buy sandwiches at deli grotto in Cruz bay. Cinnamon bay is windier than some of the other beaches.they rent windsurfers (lessons too). There is a nice little archeologic museum.

Archived