Cruise from New Orleans

Cruiser-66

Has anyone had a flight into Baton Rouge for a cruise out of New Orleans? There are 5 of us cruising and we can save over $100 a piece by doing this. We've never cruised out of New Orleans before so have no idea if this is an option. If we did what would be our choices for transportation to the port?

It is quite a distance from Baton Rouge to New Orleans, think you would have to allow for alot of time and expense to do a rental car. There is no major transportation focused on the cruise market to get you from Baton Rouge. Unless you want to see Baton Rouge and tour South Louisiana for a few days. South Lousisiana does have many things to see like the Plantations. Otherwise I would fly directly into New Orleans.

What days are you looking to travel? Some of the experts may have some advise on cheaper airfare?

Baton Rouge airport (BTR) is about an hour to an hour and a half from New Orleans depending on traffic on Interstate 10. I-10 can get very backed up in the Baton Rouge area especially near LSU and the College Dr. exit from I-10. There has been ongoing road construction on I-10 just east of Baton Rouge heading towards New Orleans. About the only transportation option that would be reasonable would be to rent a car. Just realize that doing a one waay rental in Louisiana is different than Florida and you will probably be charged a drop off fee for a one way rental.

You could rent a Limo or check to see if there are transportation companies that would do a shuttle service. Taxi fare would be very expensive also. What ever money you would save on airfare would probably be lost on arranging transportation from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. Your best bet would be to fly into New Orleans.

One other thing. Not knowing when your cruise is I have to let you know if you arrive in Baton Rouge on a Saturday with an LSU home game during college football season and have to get to New Orleans it will take a lot longer as the highways will be swamped with folks going to an LSU football game.

Don't even consider this if you are flying in on embarkation day. There would not be an early enough flight to give you the comfort zone you need for boarding the ship.

In addition to every other wise piece of advice you have been given, the piers are in a very congested part of NOLA. If there is a sporting event or concert at the superdome you could be backed up on I-10 for hours. If there is a large convention at the Moriel Center your goose could be cooked as well. It is all part of the complex with the cruise docks.

I've never rented a car in BR but I can't imagine they'd be inexpensive and you'd probably have to turn the car in at the airport and then face the same dreaded I-10 traffic. A cabbie can get you to the port on city streets from the airport but it's on a circuitious route and takes forever.

The cab fare from the airport was $35 per person the last time I used the service. It's been a couple of years so it's probably gone up like everything else. You can get a round trip fare for a small reduction. There are also shuttles available.

The cab fare from the airport was $35 per person the last time I used the service. It's been a couple of years so it's probably gone up like everything else. You can get a round trip fare for a small reduction. There are also shuttles available.

Cab fare is $33, just last week, so close to $40 each way. For more than 2 people, it becomes a per person, higher charge.

With packing light, no mobility issues, and time, I use the Jefferson transit buses for $2. :)

Archived