Hagia Sophia closed on Mondays?

We're on the Spirit July 10th sailing, and we're in Istanbul from 8 am - 7 pm on a Monday. Just started looking into purchasing tickets for the Hagia Sophia in advance, but the website says they are closed on Mondays?

Is anything else closed on Mondays in Istanbul? :(

The other popular tourist sites are open. There are a couple of museums that close on Monday as well, but for the one-day cruise stop experience, most won't go to them anyway. Even though you will miss going inside Hagia Sophia, you will still be able to see Topkapi Palace and Harem, the Cistern, the Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, and the Grand Bazaar--still a great and full day!

We're on the Spirit July 10th sailing, and we're in Istanbul from 8 am - 7 pm on a Monday. Just started looking into purchasing tickets for the Hagia Sophia in advance, but the website says they are closed on Mondays?(

That's a shame, but as Chloe says there is so much to see in just a day that you'll still run out of time to do all that you'd want. Here's what you are missing though

All the best, Tony

Thanks. I know that it will still be an incredible day, and honestly it is the port I am most excited about. But still, we're disappointed.

Having seen Istanbul on the last Amazing Race series, our kids can't wait to get ice cream cones from the vendors along the river. :D

We also will be visiting on a Monday, and were very disappointed to find Hagia Sophia closed. It is closed to the public, but we will be able to visit by going on a ship's shore excursion. Have you checked to see if any of your ship's excursions will visit Hagia Sophia?

We were there on a Monday as well, and yes, the Hagia Sophia is closed for DIY tourists. Only if you are on a ship sponsored tour, you can go in. Like other posters have said, there is so much to do and see (and enjoy!) we did not think it too much of an issue. We did not get to see and do everything we wanted, we also did not have enough time to go into Topkapi. Dolmabahce Palace (and a few other "minor" palaces) are also closed on Monday by the way.

Good to know there is still so much to do and see in Istanbul. As I said, it's the port I'm most looking forward to. :D

We are going on a ship excursion the day before in Ephesus, so I think we'll just stick to DIY in Istanbul and experience what ever we can in the time we're there.

Archived