MUTS Lover

BarbaraP

:confused:Are my DH and I the only ones who love MUTS during the daytime by the pool???

Just back from a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral and no movies in the daytime poolside until after 3PM. On port days the MUTS movie started at 1:30 but would you believe they played "Dirty Dancing" and a few other ancient movies. I guess they lost their copy of "Ben-Hur". :rolleyes:

We enjoy MUTS during the day. We have only cruised to Alaska, and it's often too cold to watch the nighttime movies. We don't go to movies much at home, so it's nice for us to catch a few when cruising.

:confused:Are my DH and I the only ones who love MUTS during the daytime by the pool???

Just back from a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral and no movies in the daytime poolside until after 3PM. On port days the MUTS movie started at 1:30 but would you believe they played "Dirty Dancing" and a few other ancient movies. I guess they lost their copy of "Ben-Hur". :rolleyes:

I was on this cruise and most days it was so hot you could hardly breath just walking by. How anyone could watch a movie under those circumstances is beyond me.

To me the biggest problem with MUTS is the loud volume because I shouldn't have to listen to it while relaxing on my balcony. I have shared my opinion while onboard but never even got the courtesy of a reply to my written concern. I have mentioned it in a post-cruise letter & was told it would be passed on but others still report this problem.

I'm only one passenger & they need to keep the majority of their passengers happy. However I have never heard of anyone who wants to listen to MUTS while trying to "escape completely" after paying more for a balcony to enjoy. Our tranquility cannot be affected by noisy passengers & neither should Princess affect it with the MUTS volume being too loud. :(

To me the biggest problem with MUTS is the loud volume because I shouldn't have to listen to it while relaxing on my balcony. I have shared my opinion while onboard but never even got the courtesy of a reply to my written concern. I have mentioned it in a post-cruise letter & was told it would be passed on but others still report this problem.

I'm only one passenger & they need to keep the majority of their passengers happy. However I have never heard of anyone who wants to listen to MUTS while trying to "escape completely" after paying more for a balcony to enjoy. Our tranquility cannot be affected by noisy passengers & neither should Princess affect it with the MUTS volume being too loud. :(

I agree....

My experience with MUTS during the day has been that they don't darken the contrast enough (at all?) so the ambient light washes out what's on the screen. Because of that I don't go until the sun goes down.

During a Christmas/New Year's cruise it was great to watch Bowl Football games during the day! I've never seen such a turn out! This was on Caribbean Princess.

On our Panama Canal cruise they did a great job showing the passage on the big screen as we were doing it. Other than that, we didn't attend much. I recall them doing a Tina Turner concert on the screen one day, which we weren't interested in. I would have preferred "Dirty Dancing."

Since there's only one main pool on the Coral (let me clarify before the pedants jump on that statement: one outdoor pool with deep enough water in which to actually submerge oneself), I for one appreciated the fact that they did not start the talkies until 3pm. I recall football playoffs which may have begun earlier (but I find that easier to tune out as I'm reading poolside than I do movie dialogue/sound effects/soundtrack music -- sports is just white noise). And there were silent movies which started earlier. But waiting until 3pm is a nice compromise.

I think some of the complaints just don't pertain in Alaska. I've rarely had problems with too much sun washing out the screen. I've never experienced it being too loud; in fact the opposite is sometimes true - not loud enough to hear the dialog clearly. And I am thrilled that I have never seen a sporting event on MUTS!

I love MUTS, but I have to admit I don't go out during the day to watch it much. I think I've only watched one day time movie. I do like my peaceful afternoons on my balcony and never once have I heard MUTS from my balcony. Lucky, I guess. Sometimes, as someone else posted, I think it isn't loud enough to really hear the dialogue. If anything, I think there's too many old concerts and too many sports events. I'd prefer movies.

I have been fortunate to miss sailing on a Princess cruise with MUTS. The Island Princess did not get MUTS until after our Panama Canal cruise and our upcoming cruise on the Pacific Princess doesn't have it either.

I've done Carnival cruises with their version of MUTS and it's enough to drive me crazy.

I hate the things. I do not do movies in general because I find them inane, stupid and a total waste of my time in general. The ones that they pick to show on ships and the other stuff they show are the worse of the worse.

I can avoid movies on land by not going to any movie theatres. However, when I am on a ship, the overly loud noise from the stuff on the screen is impossible to avoid. At least if you are going to show movies on a ship, show them in the showroom which I can then avoid for the duration of the movie.

Do you get the idea that I hate the things. The only positive things about the movies is that when they are showing them, they can not show music videos or sporting events which are even worse than the movies.

DON

Amen. I don't want to deprive others of their pleasure but it sure would be nice if they could work out a way to listen to the movie with headphones - just like on the plane to the port.

Amen. I don't want to deprive others of their pleasure but it sure would be nice if they could work out a way to listen to the movie with headphones - just like on the plane to the port.

Unfortunately that doesn't work well if you are IN the pool or hot tub. :eek:

I was on this cruise and most days it was so hot you could hardly breath just walking by. How anyone could watch a movie under those circumstances is beyond me.

:rolleyes:But if you noticed the pool area was packed by 11 AM every sea day, so apparently many disagreed with you.

We watched Casablanca on Muts in the afternoon on the second or third day out of LA on our Panama Canal Cruise. It was OK. I agree with PIA that by the time we got to Costa Rica, it was way too hot to watch movies out there.

Obviously we saw people roasting in the sun all day, but that is the nice thing about Princess...you can roast if you want or go elsewhere if you don't....

:rolleyes:But if you noticed the pool area was packed by 11 AM every sea day, so apparently many disagreed with you.

There are always people who think they need to roast and toast. As they age they will find out it wasn't the best decision.

I agree as well - except on the Sun Class ships, you can find another pool away from the screen if you want, but the sound bleed often affects other areas. I've been bothered by it on my balcony and one afternoon in Sanctuary in port was totally ruined by the sound bleed from MUTS on Star Princess (I suppose if the ship was moving, the sound wouldn't have come forward - and I know cranking the thing up in port is a marketing gimmick).

The worst use of MUTS that I have ever seen (heard) was during a night time sail away from Honolulu - something that should be beautiful from on deck with warm tropical breezes and the lights of the Waikiki skyline was totally overshadowed by "Spiderman" going at full brightness and volume. Again, trying to escape completely to the balcony was no help because of the sound bleed.

I like the idea of keeping the thing silent until 3:00 - I think that's a nice compromise. I also think that portable headsets that were attempted on Sea Princess should be available during the day. While I would prefer a ship without MUTS I get the attraction for some and can live with it - but when it intrudes on my experience then I wish they'd do away with it.

There are always people who think they need to roast and toast. As they age they will find out it wasn't the best decision.

True! I had a friend 30 years ago she worshipped the sun...now 30 years later she looks like a piece of old shoe leather.....

True! I had a friend 30 years ago she worshipped the sun...now 30 years later she looks like a piece of old shoe leather.....

Not to take this thread further off topic, but I have had two friends turn up with melanoma due to sun exposure and if that skin cancer gets going in the wrong place, it can quickly spread to lymph nodes and the rest of the body - both of these friends eventually passed over from the cancer. It's a serious thing.

I've seen the same thing & even worse is the possibility of skin cancer! :eek: Thankfully I rarely tanned in the sun even before learning the dangers of it. My son didn't heed the warnings & has already been treated for melanoma. :(

I'm not trying to be the sun-police because each of us decides which risks we want to take in life.

Archived