Why do they as k of anybody traveling is over 55

knowehead

Why do ask if any body is over 55 and then say you must prove it by I'd or you will pay the full price,celebrity cruises, well I'm 57 and my wife is 52 but we are both paying the same price.......what is the point of this?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Evidently, on some cruises you get a discount if one person (does not have to be both) in your cabin is 55 or older. However, on dummy bookings I have never been able to find one that actually gives you a discount.

I have seen them on Royal, but they are few and far in-between.

We've been quite fortunate in snagging senior rates especially in early fall when the kiddies go back to school. The entire cabin gets the rate even if only one occupant is a senior.

• 3 weeks later...
We've been quite fortunate in snagging senior rates especially in early fall when the kiddies go back to school. The entire cabin gets the rate even if only one occupant is a senior.

DH and I got one on a short lead time booking for a suite on RCCL. I guess they wanted to fill the ship. Just to be clear, HE was the one over 55!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We've only had one experience with a 55+ discount but it was a significant amount. It only applied to one category of cabin but it was what we had already booked. There was no problem applying the reduction to our reservation.

We are over 55 and not afraid to say so and have benefitted from it...and not just by ppl saying "OMG you can't be!!" Hehe, we just booked our cruise and received a 5% discount, suite, well PH actually. It's so worth it to be over 55 and when you actually get to retire, wow, it's amazing.

Enjoy your cruising adventures, they only get better,

Connie

• 4 weeks later...
Why do ask if any body is over 55 and then say you must prove it by I'd or you will pay the full price,celebrity cruises, well I'm 57 and my wife is 52 but we are both paying the same price.......what is the point of this?

Is this just an USA thing? Never seen or heard of similar discount in UK.

I'm not sure if it's just a north American discount or not. We get a discount if we qualify by being members of CARP (Canadian Association of Retired Persons) or AARP (American....) you get the picture. The other qualifying factor is either we book 9 months in advance or look for cruises that say AARP discount available with NCL cruises only of course. Other cruise lines may have different qualifying factors. Do you have anything that would be similar to AARP/CARP?

Hope this helps... :)

I'm not sure if it's just a north American discount or not. We get a discount if we qualify by being members of CARP (Canadian Association of Retired Persons) or AARP (American....) you get the picture. The other qualifying factor is either we book 9 months in advance or look for cruises that say AARP discount available with NCL cruises only of course. Other cruise lines may have different qualifying factors. Do you have anything that would be similar to AARP/CARP?

Hope this helps... :)

We don't have anything like CARP. Anyway I wouldn't dream of booking that far ahead now I'm not confined by school holidays.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait another 4 years for my bus pass.:p

Nope - you can get it in the UK, we've had it applied when we cruised with RCCL. You have to keep checking though, we have a great TA in Newcastle who will get right onto the cruise line if anything changes, but we have to let them know, they have too many clients to check each reservation for price drops or perks being added.

• 4 weeks later...
We don't have anything like CARP. Anyway I wouldn't dream of booking that far ahead now I'm not confined by school holidays.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait another 4 years for my bus pass.:p

Wouldn't you say AARP might be the equivalent of CARP?

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes they have reduced rates on special sailings for us older folks. I'd gladly pay a fortune more if I could be 25 again!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...

Just for info---On the Royal Caribbean booking site, if you select advanced search, on the left side about half way down, yo will see check boxes for over 55, military, etc. Click the 55+ box, without anything else, and as of now it shows 103 cruises with senior discounts. The discount if for the cabin, so only one of you needs to be 55.

You can do the same thing for state residence discounts.