Flight time from LA

jmlh

Our ship docks in LA (San Pedro) next April on a Tuesday morning @ 7am. What is the earliest time that you would schedule a flight from LA? We are considering a 1pm flight but wonder if that will be cutting things a bit close. Thanks for any insight.

1 pm is fine. I just wouldn't go with any flights earlier than noon, even though some people will start posting that they've been successful (just like when people recommend against flying in the same day a cruise starts -- you'll see some people saying they have done so).

But just because a ship is scheduled to dock at 7am, there's always the possibility that it doesn't. Plus, the disembarkation process could always start late (a major possibility with the sequester in place). Add to that, the trip to LAX, which even on a weekend could take a while.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be on the Golden, which arrives in LA on Sept. 26th. Since we will clear US Customs in Vancouver I'm hoping things move quickly once the ship docks. If I do walk off, will I make an 11:35 flight out of LAX?

I will be on the Golden, which arrives in LA on Sept. 26th. Since we will clear US Customs in Vancouver I'm hoping things move quickly once the ship docks. If I do walk off, will I make an 11:35 flight out of LAX?

You'll still have to clear customs again when you get off . 11:35 is not doable from San Pedro . All passengers getting off in San Pedro have to customs which can be a zoo depending on the number of agents on shift.

We will dock in LA @ 0700 on September 28. Coral Princess. our flight leaves @ 1230 so i think i am in the clear on that. I am still trying to figure out HOW to get to the airport ? Princess transfer, taxi or shuttle. I have not been successful figuring out the cost of a transfer or even if one will be offered! This step is proving to be a bit stressful to untangle. What have prior cruisers done in LA?

We will dock in LA @ 0700 on September 28. Coral Princess. our flight leaves @ 1230 so i think i am in the clear on that. I am still trying to figure out HOW to get to the airport ? Princess transfer, taxi or shuttle. I have not been successful figuring out the cost of a transfer or even if one will be offered! This step is proving to be a bit stressful to untangle. What have prior cruisers done in LA?

Princess transfer is about $29

Private Transfer $15

Taxi is about $50- $80 depending on traffic.

We have always used Princess transfers because they scheduled our disembarkation according to your flight time . We always got to LAX

with plenty of time to spare.

It is only if you fly from Vancouver to the USA will you clear customs in the Vancouver airport.

It is only if you fly from Vancouver to the USA will you clear customs in the Vancouver airport.

Not true. When you sail out of Vancouver on a 3-day to LA, you go through US customs at the pier.

Not true. When you sail out of Vancouver on a 3-day to LA, you go through US customs at the pier.

This has always been my experience, clearing US Customs in Vancouver. So it wouldn't make sense that we need to clear again in LA, considering there are no stops along the way. It's been a long time since I've done this particular cruise and my memory is fuzzy. My flight options are 11:35 a.m. and 7:55 p.m. Obviously I'd rather not hang around LAX all day, but I also don't want to be in a flap on debark morning.

This has always been my experience, clearing US Customs in Vancouver. So it wouldn't make sense that we need to clear again in LA, considering there are no stops along the way. It's been a long time since I've done this particular cruise and my memory is fuzzy. My flight options are 11:35 a.m. and 7:55 p.m. Obviously I'd rather not hang around LAX all day, but I also don't want to be in a flap on debark morning.

I think some people are a bit confused...I know that I am getting confused just reading this thread.

We have had to clear US Customs in Vancouver--WHEN flying home to the US from overseas with a flight connecting in Vancouver...

BUT, that is not the issue here...

The OP was talking about DISEMBARKING a ship in Los Angeles, then flying TO Vancouver...In that instance, one MUST clear customs at Los Angeles HARBOR...

The ship necessarily stops at at least one foreign port...on Hawaii cruiises, typically Ensenada. So, when you arrive at LA Harbor, you are, legally, entering the US from a foreign country. So, ALL passengers need to pass through customs while disembarking the ship...

The Customs agents at the port have no interest in what you do AFTER you disembark and clear customs. As soon as you leave the Cruise Terminal, you are on your own and out of their control.

As Steve stated above, there will still be customs and immigration to get through. The docking time listed on your itinerary is the scheduled docking time. It is not the time you can expect to get off the ship. Even the earliest (and remember, there will be a ton of people who will be trying to get off the ship early -- including many who don't have an urgent need to and those who didn't pay attention to the cruise line's rec about when to schedule their flight for) probably won't see the outside of the terminal til at least 8:30 or even later.

I think some people are a bit confused...I know that I am getting confused just reading this thread.

We have had to clear US Customs in Vancouver--WHEN flying home to the US from overseas with a flight connecting in Vancouver...

BUT, that is not the issue here...

The OP was talking about DISEMBARKING a ship in Los Angeles, then flying TO Vancouver...In that instance, one MUST clear customs at Los Angeles HARBOR...

The ship necessarily stops at at least one foreign port...on Hawaii cruiises, typically Ensenada. So, when you arrive at LA Harbor, you are, legally, entering the US from a foreign country. So, ALL passengers need to pass through customs while disembarking the ship...

The Customs agents at the port have no interest in what you do AFTER you disembark and clear customs. As soon as you leave the Cruise Terminal, you are on your own and out of their control.

No wonder you're confused as we have two similar questions being tossed around in the same thread. My fault for jumping in with my question. The OP is doing the reverse of me - arriving in LA by ship from a foreign port; definitely needing to clear customs and then head for home, preferably no earlier than a 1 p.m. flight. My question was what flight could I get going home since I didn't think we needed to clear customs again. I am boarding the Golden Princess in Vancouver on Sept. 23, sailing for 3 nights to LA and debarking on the 26th. No ports, no stops, no Ensenada. If I clear US customs at the pier in Vancouver as I always have in the past for these same cruises, why would I clear again in LA when I haven't gone anywhere? The other possibility is that we won't clear in Vancouver and just board, sail to LA and clear there. Regardless, it sounds like flying before noon for me would be dicey. Better a later flight than a panic attack.:D

No wonder you're confused as we have two similar questions being tossed around in the same thread. My fault for jumping in with my question. The OP is doing the reverse of me - arriving in LA by ship from a foreign port; definitely needing to clear customs and then head for home, preferably no earlier than a 1 p.m. flight. My question was what flight could I get going home since I didn't think we needed to clear customs again. I am boarding the Golden Princess in Vancouver on Sept. 23, sailing for 3 nights to LA and debarking on the 26th. No ports, no stops, no Ensenada. If I clear US customs at the pier in Vancouver as I always have in the past for these same cruises, why would I clear again in LA when I haven't gone anywhere? The other possibility is that we won't clear in Vancouver and just board, sail to LA and clear there. Regardless, it sounds like flying before noon for me would be dicey. Better a later flight than a panic attack.:D

All cruises have to clear US Customs on arrival in San Pedro. This is because your in international waters when traveling down the coast .

Princess transfer is about $29

Private Transfer $15

Taxi is about $50- $80 depending on traffic.

We have always used Princess transfers because they scheduled our disembarkation according to your flight time . We always got to LAX

with plenty of time to spare.

Thank you!!!

Archived