Disappointed with RCCL

Laura, I also travel with my adult son that is a full time wheelchair user. We have had our share of challenges when it comes to cabins as well. I travel with 2 of my sons so we always request that the beds be made up as twins (we never had a problem with that) but we have had a sofa bed problem. In our case, I sleep in the sofa bed as I am the smallest person and I don't mind. The problem was that when the bed was made out at night. If my son needed to use the bathroom I had to get up and make up the bed so that he had room to get to the facilities. This problem would have been the same no matter which bed that he was sleeping in. It was solved for us when they brought in a rollaway which was set up between the twins. There was not an inch to spare but it fit. I had to crawl into bed but it didn't bother me, my son could get around, and we ended up having a great cruise.

On another cruise the sofa was located so that the bathroom door couldn't open fully which we needed so that my disabled son could easily get in and out. I just rearranged the furniture so that it worked and no one said a thing.:)

It sounds like you have had your share of issues, but good for you for finding ways around them and not letting it ruin your vacations. Cruising really is typically a very good vacation for those with mobility issues and other type of disabilities. Thats why there is such a large percentage of disabled passengers. The cruise industry really should(for their own benefit) make sure there doing as much for there disabled customers as they are for able bodied. But I'll stay off my soap box:)

I had to laugh at you saying that you were at guest relations trying to get off the ship!!LOL I wasn't that bad, but before we left port in Fort Lauderdale I was sitting on the balcony crying telling my husband that I wanted to go home. I figured if it was this bad before we even left port, what was going to happen in the middle of the ocean! My husband who was much calmer than I said we cant leave we don't have our luggage:))

I won't go into detail about all that happened on this cruise, but I know its a problem for able body cruisers to get out of the elevators, I can not tell you how many extra trips we made going up and down on the elevators, because we could not get off. After a while we would just laugh about it. We actually kept score:). Just gotta keep on going right. Oh and your right about booking a accessible room. Sometimes impossible.

Gosh, your husband sounds just as wonder as mine. :) Thank God for them. :)

You were clearly misled even if the rep didn't mean to be misleading. I think that RCCL should have handled this situation better. I agree with a previous poster who said you have been a huge help to others who will now know better how to book rooms for loved ones with special needs. I am so sorry this happened to your family but you should in no way feel bad about your post. This is not being negative it is pointing out a situation that may help others.

Laura I have a very good feeling that you are going to be getting some positive news soon!! ;) :) ;)

I hope so. You have been so sweet and supportive to me. I can't thank you enough. Have a wonderful weekend.

You were clearly misled even if the rep didn't mean to be misleading. I think that RCCL should have handled this situation better. I agree with a previous poster who said you have been a huge help to others who will now know better how to book rooms for loved ones with special needs. I am so sorry this happened to your family but you should in no way feel bad about your post. This is not being negative it is pointing out a situation that may help others.

I'm not happy it happened to us, but I sure hope I've helped others make sure it doesn't happen to them. Thanks

UPDATE...

I just received a call from Mr Goldstiens office. I had a good talk with a very nice lady. She apologized for what happened to us with regards to our accommodations. She explained that the internal system does specify a twin sleeper sofa, but the deck plans do not. She admitted that she has had at least one complaint about these "chair beds" and she understood that the plans were confusing. She said that she did review my Cruise Critic post and saw that many people did not think that our accommodations were adequate. She agreed. She said that they will immediately be making sure that there web site was up to date with correct terminology on the sofa beds, and they had work to do to make sure the deck plans did as well, but they WOULD be doing it.

She stated that she talked with the person that handles all the ADA compliance, and was told that the chair beds where put in those rooms for bed clearance. I'm sure there was a reason for there decision and they were following possible laws, but still think they could of found a better solution than THAT chair.

She said that by law they had to put in writing all that we discussed, and what they plan to do with regards to fixing it. That they would send it, and I should receive it within the next few weeks.

I want to say that she seemed genuinely upset that we had this experience. I believe that she wants to make the changes needed to correct it, so it doesn't happen again. I really hope thats true.

I'm sure there is more, I just can't think right now. To be honest I was so surprised to get the call tonight, that all the things I thought about for days that I wanted to say just went out the window!!LOL

I just want to say A BIG THANK YOU to everyone here on CC. You really helped me more than you know!! :)

Laura, I have been following this thread and am so glad to hear the update. I hope RCI truly follows through their words and cleans up their information system. It's amazing how RCI as a company can do so many things so right and then fail so sadly at others.

Because of the good works by you and CC, we now have hope to have more accurate and reliable information from the cruise line. That's huge. :)

Laura, so glad to hear that the email address that I gave you and that you used resulted in someone from the Executive Offices calling you and discussing the situation. As you have learned just from speaking with her, that they really do care. Did you happen to get her first name?

Laura, so glad to hear that the email address that I gave you and that you used resulted in someone from the Executive Offices calling you and discussing the situation. As you have learned just from speaking with her, that they really do care. Did you happen to get her first name?

I believe her name was Laurel. Thank you for the address:)

I admit i am commenting without going back to read everything. I hope that RCCL compensated you and it was not just word fluff? All cruise lines have sales information problems. Its always better to use a travel agent that does cruises mainly for stuff like this. TA's are way more interested in you're needs than someone being paid peanuts to pretend they are a "certified" cruise consultant. Good luck :) BTW if I have to chose i always pick RCCL and NCL, never again on Carnival.

I admit i am commenting without going back to read everything. I hope that RCCL compensated you and it was not just word fluff? All cruise lines have sales information problems. Its always better to use a travel agent that does cruises mainly for stuff like this. TA's are way more interested in you're needs than someone being paid peanuts to pretend they are a "certified" cruise consultant. Good luck :) BTW if I have to chose i always pick RCCL and NCL, never again on Carnival.

Sometimes it pays to read from the beginning to get all the facts.:D

UPDATE...

I just received a call from Mr Goldstiens office. I had a good talk with a very nice lady. She apologized for what happened to us with regards to our accommodations. She explained that the internal system does specify a twin sleeper sofa, but the deck plans do not. She admitted that she has had at least one complaint about these "chair beds" and she understood that the plans were confusing. She said that she did review my Cruise Critic post and saw that many people did not think that our accommodations were adequate. She agreed. She said that they will immediately be making sure that there web site was up to date with correct terminology on the sofa beds, and they had work to do to make sure the deck plans did as well, but they WOULD be doing it.

She stated that she talked with the person that handles all the ADA compliance, and was told that the chair beds where put in those rooms for bed clearance. I'm sure there was a reason for there decision and they were following possible laws, but still think they could of found a better solution than THAT chair.

She said that by law they had to put in writing all that we discussed, and what they plan to do with regards to fixing it. That they would send it, and I should receive it within the next few weeks.

I want to say that she seemed genuinely upset that we had this experience. I believe that she wants to make the changes needed to correct it, so it doesn't happen again. I really hope thats true.

I'm sure there is more, I just can't think right now. To be honest I was so surprised to get the call tonight, that all the things I thought about for days that I wanted to say just went out the window!!LOL

I just want to say A BIG THANK YOU to everyone here on CC. You really helped me more than you know!! :)

This makes my heart happy!

So sorry you had an horrid experience they should give you a free cruise or big discount we had an awful cruise on oasis of the seas had originally booked two very expensive cabins first year it sailed cost us $12ooo for them for 5 people with Hotwire my freind told me her travel agent could take over booking and arrange excusions my twins were nine very small the agent never informed us they would be to small for most activities on the ship until we got on board and lined up to be weighed and stood in line anhour to be told could not do it then the flow rider again to small we had an awful time we went to ice skate 3 days in row no go last day we were told to wait for an hour then got told no space we hated our cruise and sent letter no one replyed we had so many bad experiences wont go again its a beautiful ship but for kids prefer smaller boat our favorite is Disney .

So sorry you had an horrid experience they should give you a free cruise or big discount we had an awful cruise on oasis of the seas had originally booked two very expensive cabins first year it sailed cost us $12ooo for them for 5 people with Hotwire my freind told me her travel agent could take over booking and arrange excusions my twins were nine very small the agent never informed us they would be to small for most activities on the ship until we got on board and lined up to be weighed and stood in line anhour to be told could not do it then the flow rider again to small we had an awful time we went to ice skate 3 days in row no go last day we were told to wait for an hour then got told no space we hated our cruise and sent letter no one replyed we had so many bad experiences wont go again its a beautiful ship but for kids prefer smaller boat our favorite is Disney .

I'm sorry you had a bad experience on your Oasis sailing. I know how disappointing that can be.

I just want to make clear that although I was very upset with the misleading information, and confusion with the deck plans that lead to our disappointing vacation. We have sailed several times with RCCL and have enjoyed ourselves very much.

As far as the response from RCCL about my concerns, I feel they have done a good job. I received a call from customer service three days after returning home in response to the the survey turned after the cruise rating our overall experience poor. Customer service was very nice and apologized and offered a small compensation. After emailing RCCL executive offices, I received an email in one day. Then a call back within four days.

I truly believe RCCL cares about giving their passengers the best vacation they can. For the most part I think they do a great job. I certainly did not write my post to demonize RCCL. I did it to try and help make change, so no one else would have the problem we did.

We will most likely sail RCCL again. As long as we can get accommodations that fit my sons needs.

Again very sorry Oasis didn't work out for you.

I hope so. You have been so sweet and supportive to me. I can't thank you enough. Have a wonderful weekend.

Laura, thank you so much for your kind words, but you deserve them far more than me. I have so much respect for you for taking the time out of your life to help prevent this from happening to anybody else and also hope that you have wonderful weekend and get a much needed break from all of this! :)

Are you the very nice lady who works in Mr. Goldstein's office?;)

LOL, unfortunately not. :)

I believe her name was Laurel. Thank you for the address:)

Laurel was the lady that helped me with my lost luggage issue 2 years ago when we sailed the Allure. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have had the documentation that I needed for my travel insurance claim. The lost luggage department, yes they have one, was absolutely no help. Laurel is the one that came through for me!!!