Disappointed with RCCL

I hope this works.

Here should be a picture of what we were told was a full size sofa bed by RCCL rep. On deck plans this is described as a pull out SOFA bed

321396_654733067876892_86487027_n.jpg

That is horrible!!! I'm so sorry for what you and your family had to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just want to point out from the picture above, that there is plenty of space for a double pull out sofa in this cabin. The way the sofas work, it would not come out any further than this chair. There was also plenty of space along the wall to fit the double sofa. This had nothing to do with accessibility in this room. There was still room to get out to the balcony as well.

I was told that this cabin could if need be sleep a total of 5. Which would make sense with the two twins put together, a DOUBLE pull out sofa bed and a pullman. Something just doesn't seem right. The C&A rep said that there was a mistake made with this cabin, I defiantly agree!

I feel terribly sorry for this entire situation. After seeing this picture, I find it insulting that RCI would expect ANYONE to sleep on that for 7 days. Again, I am so sorry and I hope an email to the higher up's of RCCL gets the description of that chair corrected.

Thank you.

Wow. Thanks for the photo. That's just awful. Maybe, and just maybe, a small child could sleep on that but certainly not an adult. I don't understand why they would not separate the beds for your DH and son if this chair were left closed and you were to use the Pullman. Just makes no sense. I'd continue complaining up the line - and I'm usually a cruiseline defender but you did not get what you paid for and were promised.

Wow. Thanks for the photo. That's just awful. Maybe, and just maybe, a small child could sleep on that but certainly not an adult. I don't understand why they would not separate the beds for your DH and son if this chair were left closed and you were to use the Pullman. Just makes no sense. I'd continue complaining up the line - and I'm usually a cruiseline defender but you did not get what you paid for and were promised.

I'm really not sure either. Thats what we were told. I was very upset and crying(thats what I do when I'm angry) I was embarrassed to lose it like I did, so I didn't push it like I should have. Then we had to leave to go to muster drill. When we got back they had already started bringing the roll away and everything in to make a bed. Our cabin steward San was clearly upset and concerned and just wanted to help. We then left for early dinner. Once the bed was put together we just went with it because they said they were working on moving us. I had hopes that something would open up. After two days we just dealt with it.

A picture is a thousand words!!! Hopefully RCCL will fix the deckplans, but since this issue applies to only approximately 22 cabins, I doubt this will happen!

Laurac22, I am not sure if you are aware or not, but in the forum section of Cruise Critic under the "Special Interest Section" you will find the "Disabled Cruise Travel" section that gives you more information regarding various special needs. I saw a few threads in this section regarding the issue you experienced.

The saddest part about this entire thing, which nobody has mentioned yet, is that the the Allure/Oasis doesn't really have any cabins that would accomodate a family with 3 or 4 people that would work if it is your child (any age) that is handicapped. IMO, this chair is in no way shape or form appropriate for any handicapped adult or child!! Quite honestly, I wouldn't put anybody in that chair!!! Disney now uses these chairs also (which look a lot better than RCCL's), but at least they let you know and you have the choice of not booking it. RCCL should be ashamed of themselves in thinking that anybody would want to sleep in that "chair" for a week, especially taking into account the money that people spend on it!!! :mad:

I'm really not sure either. Thats what we were told. I was very upset and crying(thats what I do when I'm angry) I was embarrassed to lose it like I did, so I didn't push it like I should have. Then we had to leave to go to muster drill. When we got back they had already started bringing the roll away and everything in to make a bed. Our cabin steward San was clearly upset and concerned and just wanted to help. We then left for early dinner. Once the bed was put together we just went with it because they said they were working on moving us. I had hopes that something would open up. After two days we just dealt with it.

Don't beat yourself up, this could have happened to anybody and you did absolutely nothing wrong. The fault lies in the RCCL deckplans and the person who allowed the plans to go through the way they did!!

There was no cabin on the ship that could have helped you except for 11158, and this cabin is for 5 or 6 people and I am sure was being used. Again, I just want to tell you how sorry I am that you and your family had this experience! :(

that photo just blows my mind! How can a cruise line expect ANYONE to sleep on something like that, especially when there are better options out there. I wonder what kind of idiot designed some of these cabins :confused:

Please please please send an e-mail to Mr. Goldstein, and as long as you're explaining the whole situation anyway - go ahead and put a link to this thread, so he can see that you're not the only one completely disgusted with the situation. I think you deserve some generous compensation for such a huge inconvenience. Heck, people end up with a 25% credit for a future cruise if they miss a couple ports, or experience a night of rough seas. The least they should do for you is half off another cruise on the Freedom.

A picture is a thousand words!!! Hopefully RCCL will fix the deckplans, but since this issue applies to only approximately 22 cabins, I doubt this will happen!

Laurac22, I am not sure if you are aware or not, but in the forum section of Cruise Critic under the "Special Interest Section" you will find the "Disabled Cruise Travel" section that gives you more information regarding various special needs. I saw a few threads in this section regarding the issue you experienced.

The saddest part about this entire thing, which nobody has mentioned yet, is that the the Allure/Oasis doesn't really have any cabins that would accomodate a family with 3 or 4 people that would work if it is your child (any age) that is handicapped. IMO, this chair is in no way shape or form appropriate for any handicapped adult or child!! Quite honestly, I wouldn't put anybody in that chair!!! Disney now uses these chairs also (which look a lot better than RCCL's), but at least they let you know and you have the choice of not booking it. RCCL should be ashamed of themselves in thinking that anybody would want to sleep in that "chair" for a week, especially taking into account the money that people spend on it!!! :mad:

Thank you for the information:) I was aware of the disabled section, and did go there many times. However unfortunatly I did not see any of the posts you mentioned until I cam home and did some investigating myself.

Yes I have to admit my heart sank when I was told that there were no cabins on Oasis class that would fit our or anyone else with a disability that needed an accessible cabin traveling with family. very sad really, My son was so excited to go on the worlds largest cruise ship. So much so that he almost chose it as his "Make A Wish" wish. My husband and I promised that if he could hang in there and give us some time to save, we would get him on the Oasis. So he chose a different wish (Thank goodness). But he sure was disappointed to find out that he won't be sailing this class again:(

Don't beat yourself up, this could have happened to anybody and you did absolutely nothing wrong. The fault lies in the RCCL deckplans and the person who allowed the plans to go through the way they did!!

There was no cabin on the ship that could have helped you except for 11158, and this cabin is for 5 or 6 people and I am sure was being used. Again, I just want to tell you how sorry I am that you and your family had this experience! :(

Thank you for your kind words.

I just want to point out from the picture above, that there is plenty of space for a double pull out sofa in this cabin. The way the sofas work, it would not come out any further than this chair. There was also plenty of space along the wall to fit the double sofa. This had nothing to do with accessibility in this room. There was still room to get out to the balcony as well.

I was told that this cabin could if need be sleep a total of 5. Which would make sense with the two twins put together, a DOUBLE pull out sofa bed and a pullman. Something just doesn't seem right. The C&A rep said that there was a mistake made with this cabin, I defiantly agree!

Laura, make sure that you include this picture in your email to Mr. Goldstein.

Thank you for the information:) I was aware of the disabled section, and did go there many times. However unfortunatly I did not see any of the posts you mentioned until I cam home and did some investigating myself.

Yes I have to admit my heart sank when I was told that there were no cabins on Oasis class that would fit our or anyone else with a disability that needed an accessible cabin traveling with family. very sad really, My son was so excited to go on the worlds largest cruise ship. So much so that he almost chose it as his "Make A Wish" wish. My husband and I promised that if he could hang in there and give us some time to save, we would get him on the Oasis. So he chose a different wish (Thank goodness). But he sure was disappointed to find out that he won't be sailing this class again:(

This just breaks my heart...I hope after RCCL reads this they make it right for you and most importantly your son!!! Having 4 kids, I certainly know mistakes do happen, but this one should NOT have.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I did take the advise to contact A. Goldstein. I sent off an email this evening. I sincerely hope that my experience will help to make some changes. I included the picture of the chair, and asked him if he would want to pay top dollar to sleep on it for 7 days.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I did take the advise to contact A. Goldstein. I sent off an email this evening. I sincerely hope that my experience will help to make some changes. I included the picture of the chair, and asked him if he would want to pay top dollar to sleep on it for 7 days.

Please keep us updated.:)

We said Oasis, and the ship was grand and the itinerary was the what we wanted, we were not impressed. Wea re going on grandeur to enjoy a more quiet crowd... down 6,000 to 2,000 will be heaven.

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your 5th cruise on Royal Caribbean. Your cabin is actually designated on RC's website as having BOTH a sofabed AND a pullman bed. I would have been exceedingly unhappy to be greeted by a weird fold-out chair.

May I ask: Did you consider, for the comfort of your son, having one of you sleep on the fold-out chair and letting him have the regular bed? While not ideal, it might have made it possible for everyone to sleep.

The problems are multiple: 1. Oasis sails full. In general there are no empty cabins, and if they are, they are not going to be larger than yours with larger bedding. 2. Anyone looking at those deck plans would assume that 12166 has a sofabed, because the website says that IT HAS A SOFABED.

There was nothing that they could do to fix the bedding situation while you were onboard. It was nice that they gave you a credit for a future cruise.

I would suggest that you take another cruise and enjoy yourselves. Go back to the Freedom if that worked well for you.

Good wishes for whatever you decide to do.

:)

OMG I can't believe the photo...how bad is that bed/chair/I don't know what you would call it !!!

I'm so sorry...keep up the fight.

I wouldn't want to sleep on it for free let alone what you had to pay for it!!

Good Luck, hopefully someone will see sense from RCI.

I would have been literally camping out in reception/lobby if that was me, until something was done!

This is not right

V☺

Thank you I will give that a try.

No need to "quote" the picture again.

All I can say is: :eek: :eek: :eek:

How can Royal Caribbean WITH A STRAIGHT FACE expect ANYONE to sleep on that thing? That is the most horrific piece of trash I have ever seen. It's the sort of thing that you might see on craigslist, with the lister asking for $10, and getting no offers!

UGH!

PLEASE come back and let us know who calls you from Mr. Goldstein's office and what they offered.

Feel free to let them know how repulsive we found the so-called accommodations in your cabin!

That would mean that each and every RCI rep would have to board each and every RCI ship and inspect each and every cabin category to be properly informed of their contents.:eek:

The reps go by the planning guide, the same planning guide that Travel Agents and Loyalty Ambassadors use when someone books a cruise on board. If the guide is wrong it certainly isn't the reps fault.

The whole idea of using a rep is because they are to help you choose a cabin they are suppose to know what they are talking about. The op could have took a guess and hope for the best on their own.

Oh my goodness! I was expecting something that at least a small child could sleep on, but wow. Not on that thing! So glad you took a picture.

I understand how hard it must be to travel for you. My SIL never cruised with my disabled nephew or even took a vacation, but I couldn't imagine him sleeping on that at age 11!

Side note: Wouldn't it be neat if they came up with a pullman that was bed height? Would be so much better for those who need to attend to someone in the laying down position.

Oh god, that looks horrendous. There is no way in hell I would sleep on that thing. Ever.

I wonder - and this is not meant to make excuses - is it possible there *was* a sofa pull out in the room but something happened and they had not been able to replace it yet? Surely, if that was the case, someone should have notified you as this is a drastic change to your room.

I just don't understand why they would put that chair anywhere - in any room - when there is clearly room for a loveseat.

BTW, expect a call or email back from the Executive Offices by the end of the day tomorrow. Mondays are busy days for them (lots of folks email over the weekend) but they have a 48 hour turn around time. They are a good group (many that I worked with still work there) and I am sure they will be outraged. They will probably want time to contact the ship and find out of this is "normal" for that room or not. But I am confidant that they can make this right. Or, at least, as right as it can be made after the fact.

Edited by cruisnseas

Wow, a picture really is worth a thousand words. RCI should be ashamed to expect anyone to sleep on such a thing on anyone of their ships. I think that I had better to sleep on at boy scout camp. How RCI can do some things so right and yet do other things so wrong is mind boggling at times.

Please keep us informed of the response that you get.

No need to "quote" the picture again.

All I can say is: :eek: :eek: :eek:

How can Royal Caribbean WITH A STRAIGHT FACE expect ANYONE to sleep on that thing? That is the most horrific piece of trash I have ever seen. It's the sort of thing that you might see on craigslist, with the lister asking for $10, and getting no offers!

UGH!

PLEASE come back and let us know who calls you from Mr. Goldstein's office and what they offered.

Feel free to let them know how repulsive we found the so-called accommodations in your cabin!

Thanks for your help on how to post the picture.

Truthfully I am so glad everyone finds that chair inappropriate for anyone to sleep on. I was trying so hard to stay calm, when I first saw it. I was in disbelief that RCCL even had something like that on their ships. I took the picture and sent it to my sister to make sure that I was not over reacting. I cannot post what she said.:)

The whole idea of using a rep is because they are to help you choose a cabin they are suppose to know what they are talking about. The op could have took a guess and hope for the best on their own.

May I ask how would the RCI rep know that there was no sofa bed in that particular cabin that the OP wanted, when the planning guide she had in front of her said that there was one??:eek: The rep was in an office not on the ship.

May I ask how would the RCI rep know that there was no sofa bed in that particular cabin that the OP wanted, when the planning guide she had in front of her said that there was one??:eek: The rep was in an office not on the ship.

Yea, just shaking my heading wondering how people don't get this.

OP, thanks for the photo. I hope you get some satisfaction and just maybe open some eyes at corporate.