Disappointed with RCCL

Familyoffun, this post made me smile. To be honest I was a little concerned to post. I have spent a lot of time here on CC, and have so enjoyed getting to know people through their posts. I did not want anyone to think I was just a whiner and liked to complain just for the heck of it. I also didn't want people to think I was out to get something for nothing. (without sounding to corny) I'm kind of sensitive by nature, and that would have been upsetting. We are typically not ones to sweat the small stuff, trust me with our circumstance if we were we'd do better not to leave the house EVER!! LOL

Thank you to everyone for your understanding.

Laura, it was the way you posted your situation. You were calm, cool and collected. :)

Familyoffun, this post made me smile. To be honest I was a little concerned to post. I have spent a lot of time here on CC, and have so enjoyed getting to know people through their posts. I did not want anyone to think I was just a whiner and liked to complain just for the heck of it. I also didn't want people to think I was out to get something for nothing. (without sounding to corny) I'm kind of sensitive by nature, and that would have been upsetting. We are typically not ones to sweat the small stuff, trust me with our circumstance if we were we'd do better not to leave the house EVER!! LOL

Thank you to everyone for your understanding.

Well, I try to object, when I see (often) people claiming that the board is full of RCI cheerleaders who will never accept any criticism of their beloved cruise line. Some people are just whiny and entitled, and don't like to be told that, so they convince themselves that it's not them; it's the brainwashed cheerleaders.

But, if someone has a legitimate complaint, it is generally met with both empathy and offers of advice on what to do. And I think you're definitely on the right track, trying to get them to clarify their information, so this kind of problem doesn't happen to others (or to you again).

I'm really not sure either. Thats what we were told. I was very upset and crying(thats what I do when I'm angry) I was embarrassed to lose it like I did, so I didn't push it like I should have. Then we had to leave to go to muster drill. When we got back they had already started bringing the roll away and everything in to make a bed. Our cabin steward San was clearly upset and concerned and just wanted to help. We then left for early dinner. Once the bed was put together we just went with it because they said they were working on moving us. I had hopes that something would open up. After two days we just dealt with it.

I'm an angry crier too, and this situation definitely would've set me off. Heck, I would've been pissed if I was supposed to sleep in that chair thing, nevermind the situtation you are describing. It's so telling of your great attitude how in every post you give credit to how nice people like your cabin steward were. I hope Royal Caribbean actually and truly makes up for this in a big way, especially with so many people here watching and waiting. I felt terrible for you before I saw the chair, after seeing it I'm angry for you.

I was also worried how people would respond to your post when I first saw it a couple days ago because there are a lot of cheerleaders on this board, and even sometimes when the person has a fair point they get jumped on. But this really goes to show what a supportive board this is and also what a seriously legitimate claim you have here. Best of Luck!

wondering......(not that it makes this situation any better),did the steward put a mattress topper or any kind of padding on top of those cushions? :confused:

I certainly assumed so. It doesn't look much different, other than the width, than their normal sofa beds, if you were to pull them out without putting any kind of bedding on.

Edited by Paul65

wondering......(not that it makes this situation any better),did the steward put a mattress topper or any kind of padding on top of those cushions? :confused:

Yes Kathy He did. Our cabin steward was wonderful!! He was very concerned. He brought in a rollaway and put it up next to the chair thing and built a bed with a mattress and blankets. Our son was kind of in a hole against the wall, so he could not fall out. It worked OK, but unfortunately it caused our whole cabin to be beds, as it could not be put up daily. It left us with no chair or sofa to sit on, and no room to move around easily for my son in his wheelchair.

Does this situation fall in the Americans with Disability Act? Not sure since it is a foreign vessel and do not want to get into the flag of convenience issue.

At the very least could you file a complaint with the ADA that the literature was wrong and misleading.

I certainly assumed so. It doesn't look much different, other than the width, than their normal sofa beds, if you were to pull them out without putting any kind of bedding on.

Paul, I'm not sure what all the sofa beds look like on all the ships, but we had one on Freedom a few years back. This Chair looked nothing like the sofa we had before. The one on Freedom worked perfectly and was surprisingly comfortable. This Chair looked old, and warn. l thought maybe they had taken them off one of the older ships and stuck them in the accessible cabins. The Oasis is far to grand for these chairs to be anywhere on her:)

Paul, I'm not sure what all the sofa beds look like on all the ships, but we had one on Freedom a few years back. This Chair looked nothing like the sofa we had before. The one on Freedom worked perfectly and was surprisingly comfortable. This Chair looked old, and warn. l thought maybe they had taken them off one of the older ships and stuck them in the accessible cabins. The Oasis is far to grand for these chairs to be anywhere on her:)

The chair does look a bit worn, particularly on that one corner, but I was talking more about the mechanism and structure of the bed. It slides out and the bottom pulls up, while the back of the chair/sofa lays back to end up with three sections of cushions. It works well and, in my experience, has been pretty comfortable. I don't see the chair bed as being some horrible place to sleep, but because it is so narrow, I can certainly understand why it didn't work for your situation.

Yes Kathy He did. Our cabin steward was wonderful!! He was very concerned. He brought in a rollaway and put it up next to the chair thing and built a bed with a mattress and blankets. Our son was kind of in a hole against the wall, so he could not fall out. It worked OK, but unfortunately it caused our whole cabin to be beds, as it could not be put up daily. It left us with no chair or sofa to sit on, and no room to move around easily for my son in his wheelchair.

Im sure the steward felt bad but it was out of his hands.....

It's such a shame your cruise went that way...........hope you hear soon

Does this situation fall in the Americans with Disability Act? Not sure since it is a foreign vessel and do not want to get into the flag of convenience issue.

At the very least could you file a complaint with the ADA that the literature was wrong and misleading.

This would not be something I would go to the ADA with. I truly believe that RCCL does a very good job for customers with disabilities. Their ships are usually very accessible friendly. That is why we cruise with them. However for some reason this cruise was different. We ran into many problems this time, that we have never encountered before. Like getting down hallways with all the carts. We always had to go down to Central park or the promenade. then back up or down to the deck we needed because we could not get through the cabin hallways. Minor inconvenience, but one none the less.

We have never encountered one crew member that did not go out of their way to help us make our trip special for our son. Not so this time. In fact quite the opposite.

In fact on our Freedom cruise the flow rider crew wanted our son to experience it so bad, that they literally carried him down and placed him on the board. Every time he fell off they would do it all over again. My husband and I were in tears as well as every other person there. People were cheering for my son, something that never happens to him. This is why we love RCCL and would be very sad to not be able to sail with them again.

. The Oasis is far to grand for these chairs to be anywhere on her:)

ALL of Royal Caribbean ships deserve better than that! Maybe its just the pic but that thing looks dirty and torn to me! I still CANT believe this happened!

Corporate probably has not gotten over the shock of seeing that thing yet.

I would venture to guess this is probably true.

Most likely, they are reaching out to the ship to find out 1. if this is typical of these types of rooms and 2. if it is not typical, why this occurred. That will take a day or two. Once they have the response from the ship, they should be reaching out to you to get more of your side.

The Exec office is full of good people. And they have a lot of flexibility in what they can do for you.

I have a gut feeling that this room was supposed to have a real sofa bed (how else could it POSSIBLY sleep 5?) and perhaps something happened and the sofa bed had just not been replaced yet. The staff was correct that 'extras' are not kept onboard - there really is no room. This does not mean you should not have been notified and offered the opportunity to change your room and/or cruise if this is the case. That is where Royal truly failed.