Dress Code & Good Manners

Canusa02

...as long as they are wearing acceptable wear for the same type eatery on the mainland. ....

Wow! That's painting with a very broad stroke. I can visit a beach community and dine in a nice restaurant in shorts, but I wouldn't be able to get away with that at a similar restaurant in the wine country - both of which are within an hour from me. I would expect that at Wall Street restaurants the dining style would be much more dressy than at a similar restaurant at a shopping mall. I would also expect that the dress style at a restaurant at an art museum would be more refined than a similar restaurant at a sports facility.

So, then, just how low do we set that bar?

I also don't understand the logic behind purchasing a cruise on a line that has specific guidelines in place, and then expecting to be exempt from them at your whim.

What is the limit to how many guidelines a person should be able to "interpret"?

When we booked our first cruise nearly 25 years ago we never looked for specific guidelines. We booked through a TA who never informed us about the finer points of cruising. I wore a suit which is not formal attire by any stretch of the definition. If one looks at the Celebrity website now one really has to search hard for a picture of formal dress styles. Formal advice now suggests a suit but that is not truly correct formal wear. A pants suit for ladies, no matter how nice, is not "formal" wear even though it is listed as being acceptable.

So if acceptable formal wear is not really "formal" the question becomes how much leeway will Celebrity allow before entry or common sense prevents entry to the dining room.

Guidelines that do not affect safety are stretched continuously but clothing threads always seem to bring out the extremes in posters. We follow the clothing guidelines as suggested by Celebrity but their laxity in enforcing any form of standard will lead to the further deterioration of formal and "smart" casual styles.

I occasionally post on these topics and in fact have laughingly referred to the dresscode police. In actuality, I don't understand why people even suggest it's okay not to dress for formal night in the MDR. You've signed up for a cruise on a ship in a Cruise Line that has an established dress code. Why do you do that? I don't get it. If you don't want to follow the code, why not sail on another line without the dresscode? Or just avoid the MDR?

I for one enjoy the dress up as there are so few occassions where it's appropriate any more. If I decide not to dress up, then there are plenty of choices for dining elsewhere on formal night.

I suppose it's just to prove a point for some people as in 'I know the rules and I think its cool to just ignore them'. I still don't really get it but if someone needs to show they can be different than everyone else, so be it.

Agree 100%

Mary Lou

well said, and while i promised myself i would not get into the mix of the debate... i am scared to death that i am going to hate my cruise because of said cruise snobs. yes, i know.. not everyone is a cruise snob but i still have this sinking feeling (insert worried emoticon here)...

You know....I am 100% in agreement with you! Sinking feeling here as well!

I had Adventure of the Seas booked initially out of San Juan and swapped and booked the Summit. I wish I hadn't.

You know....I am 100% in agreement with you! Sinking feeling here as well!

I had Adventure of the Seas booked initially out of San Juan and swapped and booked the Summit. I wish I hadn't.

Please don't be concerned. There are all sorts of attitudes and opinions freely expressed on these forums which would never see the light of day on a cruise. The chances of anyone actually having an unpleasant encounter with a cruise snob are quite small.

I consider "good manners" with abiding by the requested dress guidelines for the evening's dress. Even though I may be a paying customer, I feel it would be bad manners to disregard the dresscode.

I agree with this bit, I would think it" bad manners" to show up disregarding the dress rules. That said, if they dropped the rules/dresscodes than where would it end. :D

well said, and while i promised myself i would not get into the mix of the debate... i am scared to death that i am going to hate my cruise because of said cruise snobs. yes, i know.. not everyone is a cruise snob but i still have this sinking feeling (insert worried emoticon here)...

You will never run into a cruise snob. They are just in the background passing judgement. They are very vocal behind the computer on the boards but wouldn't have the nerve confront you to your face. Very sad that these people pay a lot of money to go on vacation just to judge others. I just found out after 22years of marriage that I am married to a cruise snob. On our last night at dinner my wife commented on how many passengers were wearing jeans in the MDR. I explained that jeans are allowed as long as they are not torn. Plus it's the last night they will probably be wearing them when they disembark. She doesn't read the boards but for some reason in her head you shouldn't wear jeans in the MDR. I can't believe that this was coming out of the mouth of someone who rides the NYC subways daily. I know she sees more outlandish sights there. If these people snub you, you don't want to be associated with them anyway. Enjoy your cruise

I would wonder how they found the Cruise Critic website before they found the website for the company with whom they booked their cruise. If they are that inexperienced, it would seem the first place to go would be the cruise line website.

Not if it's the Celebrity website. That site never works.

Although I'm generally on here criticising the dress code I am actually of the opinion that it IS bad manners to ignore it. I also agree with Ma Bell that complaining to someone about what they are wearing is bad manners.

However I think that interpreting the dress code based on your own values, taste and personal experience is NOT bad manners at all. Women do this all the time and get away with it, and are even congratulated for it. The term "cocktail dress" seems to mean just about anything a woman wants it to. Men's kilts are another example of this.

Adapting a dress code to your own style is not bad manners. Ignoring it completely is.

Dress codes should give suggestions but not be strictly enforced. If properly publicised the majority of people will choose to dress appropriately based on their own personal taste. Those few who clearly are ignoring it can be gently reminded of this fact by Celebrity staff.

I'm not sure I understand your reference here. A proper full dress kilt complete with Prince Charlie jacket is considered to be formal and a proper alternative to a tux in black tie occasions.

Cheers!

What....visible bra straps and tight spandex pants are not allowed.....where is that written? Next thing you know, we'll have to ban anyone with a visible tattoo from dining the the MDR.

Don't get me started on tattoos.

I'm not sure I understand your reference here. A proper full dress kilt complete with Prince Charlie jacket is considered to be formal and a proper alternative to a tux in black tie occasions.

Cheers!

Just referring to the fact that a kilt is not included in Celebrity's definition of formal. Nevertheless it is still acceptable as formal wear.

Unfortunately I think your faith in the people is misplaced. Just read these boards on both sides of what I will nicely call this debate.

Last week I read the dress code sign outside of the MDR on formal night. One of the articles of clothing banded from the dining room was a robe. I looked at my wife and stated that I can't believe that people have to be told that they can't come to the MDR in a robe. Well apparently they do because twice I saw the same women walking around the ship in the Celebrity bathrobe. One time at guest service and another time during during a shopping event at Emporium. When I saw her at guest service I just assumed that maybe she was having trouble with her bathroom. When I saw her shopping I realized that she just likes the bathrobe.

About a bajillion posts on here deal with MDR dress codes. These posts vary in degree from legitimate questions to imposing, harassing attacks. I have found that a common element exists in quite a few of the posts from the harassing side of the equation. The common element is a misunderstanding of the definition of good manners.

I am certain I have read a post that offered a dictionary definition that seemed to side with the dress-formal-or-stay-in crowd, which tends to focus on the letter of the law without giving one iota of care to the spirit of the law. Of course it doesn't take into consideration what is good manners in the real world, both today and a few decades ago. Guys wearing hats while eating has never been accepted, but wearing shorts is commonly accepted (and not scorned) at most decent restaurants. I'll exclude the restaurants that overcharge for their food because the imposing harassers have to eat somewhere on the mainland. In fact, shorts or casual (not sloppy) clothing is acceptable and within good manners most everywhere (although not at every function). That being said, a paid for dinner on a cruise ship is not a function that should demand one wear formal clothing. I thoroughly enjoy dressing up for the formal nights. On the other hand, if you are more comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt, then more power to you. The true problem is, as I referred to them in another post some time ago, is the cruise snobs. I just ask that you pass the pepper, and exercise true good manners of eating with your mouth closed, your napkin on your lap, and your hat off your head.

In conclusion, it is not bad manners to not wear formal clothes to formal night, except to the pretentious people who have been duped into believing an 8 oz. steak, ruined with a sauce, is worth $40. What is bad manners is to believe that another person is less of a person because he/she carries themselves in a different way than you do.

With all due respect, you've done a yeoman's job of proving your own point - that there is, indeed, a general "misunderstanding of the definition of good manners." Should anyone doubt that, your having set the bar at "pass the pepper, and exercise true good manners of eating with your mouth closed, your napkin on your lap, and your hat off your head" is more than enough to confirm the existence of the misunderstanding to which you refer. JMHO.

All just my opinion:

It is bad manners to not follow the written dress code if you know about it.

It is bad manners not to do the minimal research necessary to find out what the written dress code is.

It is bad manners to comment on people in writing or in person who aren't following the dress code.

It is bad manners to point out other people's bad manners.

It is bad manners not to break up your post with paragraphs.

It was bad manners of me to comment on this post.

It is much easier to have bad manners on the Internet than while eating a nice meal in the MDR.

I am a hypocrite. So are most people.

With all sincerity, I hope everyone has the best time of their lives on their next Celebrity cruise and have a great Mother's Day to all you mothers out there.

LOL :):):) Brilliant!

First off I'll let everyone know that I AM A CYNIC.

OK There my bias is stated up front.

Why are there Formal Nights on a cruise ship anyways? Is it ambiance?

NO! It's about money. People dress up on Formal Nights and they BUY more stuff like photos - probably the highest margin product on a cruise ship, besides, gold by the inch, "art" actions etc. Ever since my first cruise I have been amazed at how many "photographers" magically appear on Formal Nights. Geez you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one inside and outside the MDR.

Many land-based good restaurants have dress codes too. Is it for the ambiance? Partly, but it's more about money. People spending $150+ for dinner for two might not come to the restaurant if it began to be populated with the short, tee shirt, and baseball cap crowd. That being said, what has become acceptable in these mid to high end restaurants over the last ten to fifteen years has changed. Jeans and smart casual seem to be perfectly fine these days. Of course, the jeans probably cost more than my first suit did those many, many years ago! :rolleyes:

I just find it fascinating that when I wear my black business suit out to a land-based good restaurant (that's a heck of a lot more expensive than the MDR) I am overdressed, but when I wear that same suit to Formal Night ,according to some, I am underdressed.:confused:

Just referring to the fact that a kilt is not included in Celebrity's definition of formal. Nevertheless it is still acceptable as formal wear.

Thank you for the clarification. :)

Cheers!

we are first time cruisers and now I wish I had never looked at this forum

Dressing up for us is obviously what cruise ship consider casual guess we won't be leaving our cabins formal nights :rolleyes:

NO! It's about money. People dress up on Formal Nights and they BUY more stuff like photos - probably the highest margin product on a cruise ship, besides, gold by the inch, "art" actions etc. Ever since my first cruise I have been amazed at how many "photographers" magically appear on Formal Nights. Geez you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one inside and outside the MDR.

Many land-based good restaurants have dress codes too. Is it for the ambiance? Partly, but it's more about money. People spending $150+ for dinner for two might not come to the restaurant if it began to be populated with the short, tee shirt, and baseball cap crowd. That being said, what has become acceptable in these mid to high end restaurants over the last ten to fifteen years has changed. Jeans and smart casual seem to be perfectly fine these days. Of course, the jeans probably cost more than my first suit did those many, many years ago! :rolleyes:

I just find it fascinating that when I wear my black business suit out to a land-based good restaurant (that's a heck of a lot more expensive than the MDR) I am overdressed, but when I wear that same suit to Formal Night ,according to some, I am underdressed.:confused:

I agree because there really isn't any other reason to have more than one formal night on a 7 day cruise. We usually skip one of them. And for what it's worth the MDR food on formal night on my last Summit cruise wasn't worthy of the black suit I purchased on sale at JCP let alone a tux.

........ Geez you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one inside and outside the MDR.

Great idea!! I'll have to remember to bring one on my next cruise & try it out! Sounds like fun!!! Maybe during the Baked Alaska Parade!:eek:

While Formal nights I'm sure ARE about the potential for additional revenue for the cruise line - I think you are only about 50% correct. X is selling us an "experience" - and ambiance does play a big part in the experience of a formal night. Would the experience of the Kentucky Derby be the same without the wild and extreme hats or the mint juleps - no - it is the ambiance that makes the experience what it is.

Now about that black suit - if I opt for short dresses for formal nights dh wears a dress suit and tie - if I do long gown then he wears the tux. I personally have never seen anyone on X that was in flagrant violation of the dress code in the MDR.

Now about that black suit - if I opt for short dresses for formal nights dh wears a dress suit and tie - if I do long gown then he wears the tux. I personally have never seen anyone on X that was in flagrant violation of the dress code in the MDR.

I watched as a guest in full tuxedo walked through the Rendezvous lounge and into the dining room in bare feet! Just a youngish guy proving a point that he was adhering to the dress code.

.In conclusion, it is not bad manners to not wear formal clothes to formal night, except to the pretentious people who have been duped into believing an .......blaa blaa blaa

My kids learned a different definition of bad manners.

Burt

I watched as a guest in full tuxedo walked through the Rendezvous lounge and into the dining room in bare feet! Just a youngish guy proving a point that he was adhering to the dress code.

Celebrity dress code prohibits bare feet:

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes,
bare feet
, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear
are not allowed
in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time.

Celebrity dress code prohibits bare feet:

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes,
bare feet
, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear
are not allowed
in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time.

I guess the staff at the door don't want to enforce company policy. The same guy was upstairs in the lounge after dinner, still in his tux, still in bare feet and the HD did not remove the guy...

I guess the staff at the door don't want to enforce company policy. The same guy was upstairs in the lounge after dinner, still in his tux, still in bare feet and the HD did not remove the guy...

Not according to the sign outside the MDR

Now I know why everything has to be spelled out. But I guess it didn't matter in your example.

dresscode.jpg

Archived