Is there still a $5.00 charge to eat in Blu for Suite passengers?

elena7seas

I thought that the $5.00 surcharge had been removed for Suite passengers eating in Blu, but Celebrity insists that the surcharge is still in effect.

Also, is access to Blu by Suite passengers still by availability only, or do they have the same priority for access as Aquaclass passengers?

I am specifically looking for this information for the Summit.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

The policy of a surcharge was dropped and replaced by a recommended $5 gratuity. Same thing, just a different name and supposedly optional. As far as I know Aqua passengers are still given priority over suite guests.

Edited by gek

The policy of a surcharge was dropped and replaced by a recommended $5 gratuity. Same thing, just a different name and supposedly optional. As far as I know Aqua passengers are still given priority over suite guests.

Interesting. I don't think that I had read about the "recommended $5.00 gratuity" before, not that I am opposed to it.

If we are expected to give a $5 tip in Blu when we are in a suite, do we still pay the full gratuities for that day? I'm asking because on a port intensive cruise in the Med., we usually have a small breakfast from room service and eat lunch on land. We always give the steward an extra tip as well as the butler. Adding $5 more to eat in Blu seems like a lot unless they subtract $5 from the gratuities added each day to our bill.

If we are expected to give a $5 tip in Blu when we are in a suite, do we still pay the full gratuities for that day? I'm asking because on a port intensive cruise in the Med., we usually have a small breakfast from room service and eat lunch on land. We always give the steward an extra tip as well as the butler. Adding $5 more to eat in Blu seems like a lot unless they subtract $5 from the gratuities added each day to our bill.

You pay full gratuities for the day...plus the $5 in blu. You have to stop thinking that the gratuities are actually tips....they are a significant part of the pay of the workers on the ship...think of the "suggested" gratuities as a cost of the cruise.....not tips.

You booked a suite...and you are worried about $5 which goes to someone who makes almost nothing as a salary. Something is very wrong here...

Edited by ghstudio

I am going to be in a Sky Suite this month and I was told they got rid of the $5 charge for suites to eat in Blu (not only by recent cruisers, but by Captain's Club).

You pay full gratuities for the day...plus the $5 in blu. You have to stop thinking that the gratuities are actually tips....they are a significant part of the pay of the workers on the ship...think of the "suggested" gratuities as a cost of the cruise.....not tips.

You booked a suite...and you are worried about $5 which goes to someone who makes almost nothing as a salary. Something is very wrong here...

• 10 months later...
We had a Suite on Equinox and did not pay nor were we asked to pay $5 to eat in Blu. Ate there every night except the two nights in specialty restaurants.

The same goes for Reflection Med cruise in late October 2013. We never ate during peak times, though, only around 8:30 every evening when there was plenty of availability.

As noted in the live/blog below, we just got off of the Solstice last month. We had a Celebrity Suite, dined once in Blu and there was not an added charge, etc., for us. Enjoyed Blu very much. Nice, fun option that added to the variety during our 14-day cruise from Australia to New Zealand. Check out these postings for more info/background on this nice ship, its entertainment, food options, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 43,474 views for this fun posting.

Your prepaid gratuities go to the MDR staff who has to wait on tables whether or not you are there. If you eat in Blu as a suite guest, it seems reasonable to leave $5 or more as a tip for the blu staff who waited on you but doesn't get your pre-paid gratuity. It doesn't matter if it's required, recommended or just something you do because you are a nice person.

Suite guests are still admitted on an as-available basis. On our most recent cruise, that meant after 8:30 on the infinity.

Suite guests are always welcome in blu for breakfast....that's standard.

I think Celebrity has a way of sorting it out. I told the Maitre'd that we would be eating in Blu every night. She asked if it was OK to call the MDR and release me from my assigned table, and took my room number down every night that we dined there. We had the same waiter and asst every evening as we asked to be seated in their area. As we had the daily gratuities deducted each day, I'm confident mine went to the Blu staff.

.....I think Celebrity has a way of sorting it out. I told the Maitre'd that we would be eating in Blu every night. She asked if it was OK to call the MDR and release me from my assigned table, and took my room number down every night that we dined there. We had the same waiter and asst every evening as we asked to be seated in their area. As we had the daily gratuities deducted each day, I'm confident mine went to the Blu staff.

Just to clarify this; did you deducted the gratuity each day or the Maitre'D do this since you were not eating in the main dining room every night?

Just off Silhouette, the dining room hostess (the lovely Anita) asked us would we be dining there each night we were not at specialities and when we said yes, she asked would it be ok to have our gratuities to Blu which we readily agreed.

One waiter who was full of himself first time we were allocated to dinner in his section immediately asked to see our sea pass cards, we said oh good suite guests and promptly hit us with a $10 charge at the end of the meal.

When we queried with the rather ineffective maître d he said as we had transferred our tips to Blu this should not have happened

So I think if you transfer your gratuities to Blu, you are not supposed to be asked to pay $5

Just to clarify this; did you deducted the gratuity each day or the Maitre'D do this since you were not eating in the main dining room every night?

I just left my gratuities on the automatic deduct every day on your seapass. I'm sure the Maitre'd let someone know to redirect my automatic dining gratuities to Blu vice the MDR.

The same goes for Reflection Med cruise in late October 2013. We never ate during peak times, though, only around 8:30 every evening when there was plenty of availability.

Since we normally eat at the Late seating - 8:45, this shouldn't be a problem.

We were in a Sky Suite on the January 30th sailing of the Connie. We ate in Blu one evening and were charged a $5 pp cover/ gratuity. We were asked to sign at the end of our meal.

Diane

If this is the case, I think the easiest thing to do - if one (with a Suite) plans to eat in both the MDR and BLU - is to take the automatic tips off and simply pay gratuities in cash to the MDR staff for the nights one dines in there. The BLU gratuities will then be charged for the nights one dines there. ;) The gratuities for stateroom staff can also be paid in cash. We really preferred the days when we could leave a cash envelope, anyway.

Edited by Iamthesea