dont know for sure where to ask this?

I read somewhere in some of the other posts that Carnival uses alot of salt when preparing their food, for someone that can't tolerate alot of iodized salt what should I do,or what do I need to do. Do I need to inform someone of my salt restriction or just hope that whatever I order isn't heavily salted, I will be cruising on the Elation in sept so I think I have some time to do whatever I need to do. THanks in advance for any help:)

I would suspect they salt things moderately, as I always need to add salt. Eat a lot of salads and foods you know how much salt they have if you are worried?

Ive never had any of the meat like the boneless ribs and brisket or pork chops but I didnt think it needed more salt.

Maybe something like the jerked pork, which has a lot of spices has a lot of salt?

Just eat a moderate amount of any meat that tastes salty to you .. or order something else in its place if you cant eat it. You should be able to taste it if it has too much salt?

I know up on the buffet they slice meat off a huge piece of meat. Other than the outside, I dont know how the meat could have too much salt.. thats always up on the buffet for lunch and dinner where they slice off some kind of meat at a carving station.

Just dont eat eat it if it tastes too salty for you. you dont have to clean your plate.

Here is what Carnival shows for special diets info:

Dietary Needs

Carnival Cruise Lines can provide our guests with the following special dietary needs: Vegetarian, Low-Cholesterol, Low-Fat, Low-Carbohydrates, Low-Sugar, Gluten Free, Indian Vegetarian, and Kosher. No advance notice is required; we kindly ask that you please inform our dining team so you can discuss your meal options. Additionally, we also request you advise our dining team of any food allergies you have.

It sounds like you might need to use your own initiative like avoiding sauces, processed foods, dressings, etc. There is a salad bar at the Lido too with fresh veggies and fresh fruit at lunch and dinner.

It sounds like you might need to use your own initiative like avoiding sauces, processed foods, dressings, etc. There is a salad bar at the Lido too with fresh veggies and fresh fruit at lunch and dinner.

Exactly, basically folks avoiding salt can ... same as at home.

LuLu

~~~~

Absolutely let them know prior to sailing. Like with any restaurant, sauces will reduce and their sodium content increase as they cook. Unlike on shore, you will be eating every meal, usually more meals than at home (by far), on board. Be sure to let them know and be very vigilant on board.

I usually retain water on the ships, but on my last cruise I used a water bottle with a filter and I did not retain water - that is where I find the most salt - in the drinking water!

We don't use salt at home except for baking. So we notice the salt in the food when we cruise. Unfortunately, eating on a cruise is the same as eating out for all of your meals for the duration of the cruise. The food area where there isn't a lot of salt is at the Salad Bar (and only eating the raw fruit and vegetables and none of the prepared salads). The only way we counter act the salt is to drink lots and lots of water.

I usually retain water on the ships, but on my last cruise I used a water bottle with a filter and I did not retain water - that is where I find the most salt - in the drinking water!

I'm sorry....what?

I'm sorry....what?

They make their own water by a desalinaztion[sp] process. Some of us feel that it does not remove all the salt from the water. We drink lots of bottled water on the ship and never have a problem. I always chuckle when people protest paying $4.00 for a litre of water on the ship but happily pay close to $10 for a drink. The water is what your body needs to stay healthy and counter act all the booze poured into it. Don't get me wrong, we drink our share and then some when cruising but try to match each drink with a glass of water to give our liver and body a fighting chance!!:D

Pat

They make their own water by a desalinaztion[sp] process. Some of us feel that it does not remove all the salt from the water. We drink lots of bottled water on the ship and never have a problem. I always chuckle when people protest paying $4.00 for a litre of water on the ship but happily pay close to $10 for a drink. The water is what your body needs to stay healthy and counter act all the booze poured into it. Don't get me wrong, we drink our share and then some when cruising but try to match each drink with a glass of water to give our liver and body a fighting chance!!:D

Pat

I see. I was told the ships use reverse osmosis to filter all the water before it makes its way to the guests. I suppose this in not true?

I see. I was told the ships use reverse osmosis to filter all the water before it makes its way to the guests. I suppose this in not true?

I'm not sure about that-I just know they make their own. Would be great if they use reverse osmosis. We only drink bottled water at home so continue that practice while cruising. Works for us!

Pat

:confused:

guess I worded it wrong, I am not on a low sodium diet and restricted on salt intake what so ever, I am allergic to iodine, so when I get something with too much regular salt I get a funny taste like a metallic taste, so I use sea salt or un iodized salt, and even though I am allergic to iodine, I can still eat most anything I like to eat, so I really don't want to do just salads or fruit, I still want to enjoy what every one else enjoys thanks for the advice and comments so far

I have been watching my salt intake recently as a matter of general health -- not because my doctor specifically required it but because I see that a typical "eating out" diet consists of way more sodium than the daily recommended intake. I used to love eating frozen TV dinners and cup noodle as a snack between meals, but at 1,000 mg each, I've learned to cut down.

As a result I find that many processed and restaurant foods are simply too salty. Unfortunately I found a lot of Carnival's food to be the same, especially the soups. Not inedible, but definitely saltier than I would prefer.

I guess you just have to understand that you are eating out, every single meal, for the entire duration of the cruise. There are ways to cut down, such as sticking to fruits and muffins at breakfast instead of sausages and home fries, having lots of salads, go easy on the soups, have a little sandwich at the deli instead of loading up a huge plateful at the buffet, drink lots of water to wash it all down.

I'm not sure about that-I just know they make their own. Would be great if they use reverse osmosis. We only drink bottled water at home so continue that practice while cruising. Works for us!

Pat

You know that some bottled water companies (such as Dasani) actually ADD salt to the water they purify using reverse osmosis?

Op, once you are on board the ship, go to the maitre'd and let him know. He will assign a hostess who will meet with you daily about your food. I have a peanut allergy and they are very, very good about letting me pre-order my food for the next day. There is no reason to contact them beforehand.

Those filtered water bottles will not reduce the sodium content of the water (if there is any). They can filter out impurities and strange "tasting" water (chlorine, sulphur, etc.), but you'd need reverse osmosis or distillation to take the sodium out of the water.

Op, once you are on board the ship, go to the maitre'd and let him know. He will assign a hostess who will meet with you daily about your food. I have a peanut allergy and they are very, very good about letting me pre-order my food for the next day. There is no reason to contact them beforehand.

Thanks so much for the advice, I will do that,

:confused:

guess I worded it wrong, I am not on a low sodium diet and restricted on salt intake what so ever, I am allergic to iodine, so when I get something with too much regular salt I get a funny taste like a metallic taste, so I use sea salt or un iodized salt, and even though I am allergic to iodine, I can still eat most anything I like to eat, so I really don't want to do just salads or fruit, I still want to enjoy what every one else enjoys thanks for the advice and comments so far

Being allergic to iodine does make a difference. :eek:

I'd check to see if the salt used was with/without iodine.

LuLu

~~~~

Since it is advised to eat iodized salt in your diet, and you can't, I think that would make a huge difference, and would notify guest services in advance since most restaurants, and I am assuming Carnival chefs would to-use iodized salt. And yes, I do buy the bottled water on the ship to help flush out the way too salty food! If you dont use salt when you cook, you really notice it when you eat some one else's cooking.

Good to know. I've never brought bottled water with me - too much of a PITA since I've always flown into the port city. Plus it has always tasted fine to me. But for my upcoming cruise we are driving to NYC and so the hassle factor won't be an issue... and hearing that there is a high salt content in the drinking water, we will be bringing a case of drinking water along!

I'm surprised though that the ships' desalination systems would leave that much salt?? :confused: But I don't really understand scientific stuff like that all that well. :o

Archived