No towel animals in the cabin

Watch..... the year will be 2020 and Royal Caribbean will be offering a "Towel Animal Package".

And I would be one of the goobers who'd purchase it for my kids! :o

We've only done one Royal Caribbean, and it was a short one: no towel animals in our cabins.

I figured they either don't do it anymore, or just not on 3-day cruises like ours.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather check a preference box, or pay extra online or at guest services than mention towel animals to the room steward.

Happy to tip extra for it, I personally just couldn't bring myself to ask for them.

I'll have DH ask instead, even though he thinks it's cheesy. :p

This is my plan. I love the animals too. Like you, I realize that they are time-consuming and many passengers don't really care about them one way or the other. I do. It's silly, I guess, but they're a big deal to me. It's unique to cruise vacations. No hotel house keeper has ever left me a towel animal!! I'll definitely give a tip and let the steward know that I'd like to get them as frequently as he/she has time to make them!!

Disney resorts have been doing towel animals for years. It's not an "every night" thing there, but something a little special. They'll also sometimes utilize stickers (eyes) and do some large items (baskets).

We've only done one Royal Caribbean, and it was a short one: no towel animals in our cabins.

I figured they either don't do it anymore, or just not on 3-day cruises like ours.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather check a preference box, or pay extra online or at guest services than mention towel animals to the room steward.

Happy to tip extra for it, I personally just couldn't bring myself to ask for them.

I'll have DH ask instead, even though he thinks it's cheesy. :p

We have been on the short cruises, both Monarch and Majesty and we had the animals made for us. It must vary depending on the cabin steward. You really should ask.

Our cabin attendant once explained that, especially on the larger ships, the added laundry and potential towel shortages were becoming real issues. ...Just one towel animal per night per cabin would use thousands of towels.

Absolutely agree about that. I, for one, will not use any of the towels on my body that have been used in the towel animals. Nope. They get tossed into the dirty towel pile and I agree, it is a waste. :(

p

Shhhhh don't give them any ideas because I would probably join ya! ;)

On one cruise when our daughter was a toddler and destroyed because "towel bunny was gone" we came back to an entire towel animal ZOO!

Add me to the "goober" camp. And I don't have any young kids any more!

I have never eaten at a specialty restaurant on any ship. (Well...Johnny Rockets once, but it's because we had a COUPON!) I have never bought the drink package. I cruise in an OV cabin on a lower deck to save $$. I order the no-fee steak in the MDR.

But I'd pay for a towel animal package. I wouldn't tell anyone...just do it on the sly. But yup...I'm a goober too!!;)

add me to the "goober" camp. And i don't have any young kids any more!

I have never eaten at a specialty restaurant on any ship. (well...johnny rockets once, but it's because we had a coupon!) i have never bought the drink package. I cruise in an ov cabin on a lower deck to save $$. I order the no-fee steak in the mdr.

But i'd pay for a towel animal package. I wouldn't tell anyone...just do it on the sly. But yup...i'm a goober too!!;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373132055.774354.jpg.09370dabe3d51e1f311b0e1df7f591c5.jpg

I think towel animals were at one time a fun novelty, a nice surprise.But now... I think they fall into the same category as the dining room staff stopping service while they all sing a song.

Oh.... I'm thinking of changing my screen name to "Crotchety old Fart".

What do you think?

You are forgetting one important point ie there are many, many people on each cruise for whom it is their FIRST time. To them the towel animals are a surprise and so is the waiters parade.

We always tell our cabin steward on meeting them...no towel animals please, you have so much to do save them for those who are new or love them.

Sometimes they say but we have a specialty, so go ahead but really for us, seen them and no more please.

The Wife and I have done many, many cruises and we really enjoy the ships. But I don't need any towel animals.

The way it's supposed to work is, I come back from dinner, find a towel animal, and think, "Oh how cute, I'll give him an extra tip".:)

A few times, I have told the Steward in a nice tone... "Please don't bother with any towel animals".

Well, it was like I had ruined his day. As if he had been waiting all his life to make towel animals for me, and I had disappointed him terribly.

If the Steward really wanted to please me, he could spend some extra time making sure I don't get charged for any of the mini bar stuff they insist on placing in my room.:)

I think towel animals were at one time a fun novelty, a nice surprise.

But now... I think they fall into the same category as the dining room staff stopping service while they all sing a song.

Oh.... I'm thinking of changing my screen name to "Crotchety old Fart".

What do you think?

I'm thinking that if I really needed all those animals in my cabin I should have signed up for a cruise on the ark. So, keep your screen name cause I'm with you. There's no room to sit anyways and now I have to share with a towel?

Just back from the Navigator, and we got a couple towel animals, but no chocolates (sob!) - and no pen in the room (the cabin attendant said they weren't allowed to leave them as of January this year).

We had forms and post cards to fill out and I didn't have a single pen in my purse. Now we have a souvenir pen from the Vatican City Post Office...

• 4 months later...
Too bad you can't indicate somewhere that you would like to have towel animals. We don't really care about them and it is just one more unnecessary item in an already small cabin. However, I know that many people really enjoy them and look forward to them.

Our cabin attendant once explained that, especially on the larger ships, the added laundry and potential towel shortages were becoming real issues. He apologized and told us he had been instructed to make the animals only every other night. On this particular cruise, we had the same cabin attendant as the Captain so I think he was a bit more concerned about adhering to policy.

They are quite easy to make an you can get a book. For those that have small children, this could be an option...just in case.

Just one towel animal per night per cabin would use thousands of towels.

On my FOS it wasn't the lack of towel animals that was issue it was the lack of towels period. We had 2 bath towels only, it was my mother and I and I need a regular towel for my thick long hair. I ended up using a hand towel and wrapping a hair band around it until time to blow dry, not ideal. And when I towel animal is made it can easily be made with one of the towels intended to be used. our animals were like a bat hanging up made with hand towel. It might seem minor but being on vacation it was an annoyance. And for what? I've always had plenty of towels on Carnival cruises, just got off on in October, month after FOS, and had 3 towels in room, and two beach towels!

I'm thinking that if I really needed all those animals in my cabin I should have signed up for a cruise on the ark. So, keep your screen name cause I'm with you. There's no room to sit anyways and now I have to share with a towel?

Party poopers. We end up with 3 or 4 all lined up on the couch. Perhaps that's why you get shorted on your towels, we have them in our towel zoo.:)

Edited by cruzincurt

Why did you wait till you got back to ask? Seems like asking on the ship would be the thing to do:rolleyes:

You shouldn't have to ask. That's just one of those little things that are a part of the cruise experience. It's not much but it sure does put a huge smile on my face. :D

We were on the sailing the week before you.

We got 3 towel animals and chocolate on formal night.

Personally, I really don't care for the towel animals. If they disappeared, I wouldn't care. Don't kill me. I have no interest in the chocolate, either.

I get more excited to get back to my room to look over the next day's compass.:D

Agreed! Also, the "chocolate" isn't chocolate but candy confection eg fake chocolate.

We just got off The Jewel of the Seas on 11/02 and we got towel animals every other day, some better than others, and NO chocolates at all. We were told that they stopped the chocolates "four or five years ago." Is that true, or was our cabin attendant selling his on EBay?

When we were sailing with small children, it was a treat for them to come back to the cabin and discover a towel animal. The monkey was always a favorite. Since the small children are now all grown up, I wouldn't miss the towel animals at all. In fact, I know it takes time out of the stewards schedule. I've thought, on the last few cruises, of telling the steward that he can skip the towel animals. I just don't want him/her to think we are some sort of grinch or party pooper, since everyone seems to oooh and awww over them.

I remember when the cabin attendant used to leave out ur pjs and robe on the bed every night for you. I def do miss the chocolates on the pillows!

OMG...I had totally forgotten about the pjs laying out on the bed. WOW...that was a LONG time ago. Long before the days of cruise critic and we couldn't figure out what had possessed them to do this. They also folded all of the clothes that my daughters had left on their bed and put them into the suitcase, even though they had and put clean and dirty clothes together (yuck). Just taught us to take the time to clean up and put things away before the cabin steward made the decision for us as to what to do with things left laying around. Cruises have changed more than I remembered.

In some of our photo books a few years back,I have five towel animals for a seven night cruise. But our last cruise, not one.

Wonder if the lack of towel animals are because there are more rooms on a stewards route or not wanting to wash them.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk HD

Edited by knittinggirl