Seattle customs

vistapat

Can anyone just off Oosterdam comment on the time it took to get through customs at Pier 91 this past Sunday? We're on Celebrity Solstice leaving May 24, returning May 31st, and our return flight is kind of tight. Bad decision, we know, but it's done now. :eek: Since the Alaska season is just starting, we haven't heard whether there is as bad a situation as there seems to be in Florida regarding the time it takes to leave the ship and get to the taxi or shuttle area. Thanks for any advance information.

Pat

You should ask this on the Celebrity board.

The last 2 years when we sailed HAL, they had fewer porters than Princess had and it took quite a while just to get our luggage and get outside the terminal. My DH stood in line for nearly 1/2 hour just to get a porter. Then when we got a porter and got our luggage, we quickly went through customs and immigration -- all at once. Outside was another story. We had a private limo service but traffic was jammed getting into where the people were and to get the cars, taxis and limos loaded up with luggage.

Are you aware that Pier 91 is not handy to the airport?

Actually, I can't ask this on the Celebrity board, since the first Solstice cruise will be landing the day we embark. We will self-disembark, so as long as the customs aren't too much of a mess, we can get our flight. Since according to the official Port of Seattle cruise ship schedule, Oosterdam will have arrived back well before we sail, I thought I'd ask about customs from someone who may have experienced this year's reality.

Thanks, Pat

Well can't speak for this year but last year it was not bad, I cruised on Celebrity, we took care of our own luggage. Don't bother arranging a ride back to the airport it is pretty hectic and there are lots of Limos and cabs just going back and forth, it is a long ride to and from the airport.

AH - Pier 91 and Pier 66 -- not close to each other.

And if I remember correctly, pier 66 can only handle 1 ship at a time -- not like pier 91 with 2 ships at a time.

That will make a big difference in disembarking, customs and immigration as well as less time getting to the airport.

We were on a Celebrity cruise last summer docked at Pier 66 and Customs was a breeze. We elected not to take an early flight and stay over but we were out by 8AM (walk off) and could have made a 10:30 flight. But this was last year. Have found in the past six months that Ft Lauderdale is the worst for getting through Customs. A few weeks ago in LA San Pedro, off in a flash by 8AM.

Celebrity is using Pier 91 this year, and with the sequestration cuts, I've been seeing a lot of posts regarding increased time to clear customs. Our flight is at 10:35, which I understand is doable if all runs well. Hence my request for info from this year for Pier 91. We will get up early and carry our own bags, but if customs isn't fully staffed, that may not be enough:(.

Thanks for your kind replies.

Pat

Archived