Selling hubby on a Grand Suite -- Help!

We are leaving this weekend for our cruise on Oasis. We are planning to book the new and improved Navigator of the Seas out of Galveston for next year.

I'm really hoping we can book our first Grand Suite on Navigator, but will likely need to convince hubby.

A couple of ideas I have right off the bat:

1. It will be our first cruise as new Diamond C&A members, so we should get a pretty decent discount (I think).

2. With the availability of the concierge lounge and diamond events (are there two separate? One combined?) we can probably pass on purchasing the all-inclusive alcohol pkg.

3. Extra space for his techy stuff.

4. First off the ship for tendering.

Anything else I'm not including? Or that I have plain wrong?

I'll need to know this stuff before we step on board Oasis on Saturday!

Thanks, Ann

You can order full menu from dining room as room service. I saw someone mention that you get invited to officer's cocktail party too.

I just booked our first cruise, and booked a GS. I was all ready to go for an OS when the good people on CC convinced me to move down to a GS, which has all the same benies, but a much smaller price tag :)

We are leaving this weekend for our cruise on Oasis. We are planning to book the new and improved Navigator of the Seas out of Galveston for next year.

I'm really hoping we can book our first Grand Suite on Navigator, but will likely need to convince hubby.

A couple of ideas I have right off the bat:

1. It will be our first cruise as new Diamond C&A members, so we should get a pretty decent discount (I think).

2. With the availability of the concierge lounge and diamond events (are there two separate? One combined?) we can probably pass on purchasing the all-inclusive alcohol pkg.

3. Extra space for his techy stuff.

4. First off the ship for tendering.

Anything else I'm not including? Or that I have plain wrong?

I'll need to know this stuff before we step on board Oasis on Saturday!

Thanks, Ann

What date for next year?

DH and I were in a GS on our last cruise and he was delighted with the tours we were invited to participate in; especially the bridge tour and galley tours. These tours are not a certainty on any sailing, I think it is at the Captains discretion.

You are also able to utilize a special area set aside for Gold Cards (GS + and Pinnacle members) for breakfast and lunch with wait staff. Not to mention the reserved seating in the theater and pool (on some ships) and not needing reservations for ice shows.

On a personal note about the GS. I LOVE THE BATHTUB! I wanted to take it home with me.

If you are on a ship that doesn't have a CL you will be invited to the nightly diamond event. We enjoyed that a lot.

You will also get double points for being in a suite. You receive a fruit basket on arrival, formal nights you get appetizers in your room. More room then any person really needs to have fun in the sun with. Enjoy your cruise.

I loved the double sinks in the bathroom....wonderful!!!

My sister and I booked a GS on our last cruise (Mariner last Jan.), and we are hooked!! Our next two cruises are booked in a GS. The extra room makes you feel as though you are in a hotel room rather than a cruise cabin, and the HUGE balcony is terrific!

Be aware that if you ever sail in a GS you might never be able to go back to a JS!!!

Barb

Barb

Being Diamond, you have access to the diamond lounge already. The CL is really not very different (I know, you wanted reasons to book). The counsier can help you with many things aboard ship (we have never ask the diamond counsier so they may do the same, don't know). A GS is nice and also bigger, but I would not kill for one (had a few). Given a choice, I would take a JS on the aft over a regular GS any day (even offered once, but the LA refused the trade). As someone else said, double points. But then you can get that with a JS.:D

I had a GS on Allure last November when I cruised with my daughter so when hubby and I booked our cruise for this year and he booked an E1 category cabin I was thinking how could I go about making him upgrade to a GS (it is very true that once you have sailed in a GS it is difficult to go back to a smaller cabin).

Anyhoo.....I worked on him and told him constantly how wonderful it is to have the larger space, the bathroom was so much better but the perks of having a GS cabin were fab and being able to go into the CL and have drinks and nibbles blah blah blah and how it will be his birthday when we are on the cruise (we go in two weeks) and how I wanted him to experience the joy of a GS and he has upgraded!!!!

And he now thinks it was his idea :D

We always book a GS....biggest reason we love the extra room...

Mosts discussion here about outlets, extension cords, over the door hangers, night lites, etc are not an issue in a GS..

I'm a techie of sorts also...no problem setting up my laptop on the end table, plenty of places for chargers....camera, binoculars...all kinds of stuff...

The place never gets cluttered.....

Bathrooms are huge by cruise ship standards....plenty of shelf space to set out all your stuff, and not get in the way of your spouses things....also 2 sinks....

Some people will say the dry bar is worthless....far from true...aside from the 12 extra drawers for clothes, etc, the counter top is a great space to leave things out on....

Once you get a GS, it is hard to settle for anything less....it is more on the line of staying in a good hotel room....not a broom closet.

The two selling points for me booking one on this last cruise, and upgrading to one in September are...

1) Concierge Lounge: Nice quiet place to wind down in the evening with a couple drinks for my husband, and a quiet place for a continental breakfast.

2) In-room dining: Both are European cruises, and I know that after 12 hours in port, the last thing we'd want to do is get dressed up and go to dinner.

The Caribbean cruise in November is a standard balcony, as will all future Caribbean cruises. We'll be Diamond as of next year, so the only real perk for us is #2. It would have to be a European cruise for us to actually take advantage of it, so it wouldn't be something we "had" to book.

Since you already have access to the lounge, maybe the in-room dining would be something he'd like?

I loved the size of the bathroom, but I hated how tall the tub was. Nearly fell two of the times I was stepping out of the shower.

If in room dining is important, I'd go for the OS because of the full size dining table.

This was primary reason I was considering the OS - the full size dining table, and if the rates come down on our cruise, I may still upgrade to an OS

For selling the cruise:

Honey, just think...if you don't want to be around all those people you will have this lovely suite to read/watch tv, etc.

Just think of the nice meals we can have in our lovely suite without having to wind through the windjammer.

etc. etc.

We sailed in a suite for the first time recently on the Navigator. In addition to what you listed, we enjoyed being able to sit in Portofino for breakfast, we had both a bridge tour and a galley tour arranged by the concierge, and we enjoyed the really roomy balcony. Perhaps if you promise him a tryst (or two) on the spacious balcony . . .

And, if you take advantage of the cocktail hour in the Concierge Lounge, I would think it would save you a bit on your bar bill, unless there are very specific drinks you like that are not offered in the CL. It is fairly well stocked, but they don't have the means to make all the specialty drinks.

You will be able to eat breakfast and lunch in Portofino's away from the noisy crowd. Just go through the line in the WJ and bring your food into Portofino's. Also Portofino's has cooked to order breakfasts for GS guests. :)

You may be going about this the wrong way.... putting together a list of reasons why *he* wants a GS. Maybe he wants one... or maybe he thinks none of that stuff is worth the money (I wouldn't). Then what?

The better approach may be to explain to him how much *you* want the GS. Don't get into all the logical details, just that you want one and it doesn't really matter why. If his innate desire to please his wife isn't enough to sway him, you could point out that having a happy wife often leads to really good things.

We enjoyed being in a GS twice and were in a OS last December. We will be in a OS on our upcoming December cruise.

My wife always takes pictures of our staterooms. You might enjoy looking at them (see links below) when you have time.

Happy Sailing!

Preferred seating at the pool and theater

More nooks and crannies for storing your stuff than you can ever imagine

relaxing in the CL before dinner

Great Coffee every morning without crowds

Room service will bring you anything from the dining menu

Press your clothes for formal night

I'd do it if you can comfortably afford it...sounds nice (never had a suite).

On all the cruises I've been on (we don't want below balcony if possible) the prices have been crazy for a suite, so hasn't been an option for us.

The lounge sounds great, but my wife likes the MDR experience (buying dresses and jewelry for each formal night, etc), so dining in the room would be a turnoff for her. Not sure how your husband is or not.

You will be able to eat breakfast and lunch in Portofino's away from the noisy crowd. Just go through the line in the WJ and bring your food into Portofino's. Also Portofino's has cooked to order breakfasts for GS guests. :)

That's nice but is it worth the $$$$.

I would be a tough sell on this. The extra money would easily pay for another cruise!

OP...I'm a hubby, and my wife has been trying to convince me of the same thing. She's failed so far. I can't speak for your husband, but, I find your arguments equally unimpressive. There are only two things I can think of that would make me move into a full suite. It's a really special cruise, I don't know what that is, but, you get the idea. The other is value. We usually do a JS, or balcony. If the price was right, say a few hundred bucks more, I would do it. The additional perks that come with the full suite are just not worth it to me. If money was not an issue, then I wouldn't care, but as it is I like to see value for those dollars.

BTW I do wish you the best...just don't post if you are successful...my wife does not need any allies. ;-)

OP...I'm a hubby, and my wife has been trying to convince me of the same thing. She's failed so far. I can't speak for your husband, but, I find your arguments equally unimpressive. There are only two things I can think of that would make me move into a full suite. It's a really special cruise, I don't know what that is, but, you get the idea. The other is value. We usually do a JS, or balcony. If the price was right, say a few hundred bucks more, I would do it. The additional perks that come with the full suite are just not worth it to me. If money was not an issue, then I wouldn't care, but as it is I like to see value for those dollars.

BTW I do wish you the best...just don't post if you are successful...my wife does not need any allies. ;-)

We have done a GS a couple of times and only when they were really cheap. Our prefered is a JS, but when prices are running high we will slip all the way back to an ocean view or balcony.

Archived