Where is the best place to buy Penguin Carvings

JJPacer

Ushuaia - I would suspect. Our ship didn't make it there due to a storm. I did not see penguins in Buenos Aires nor in Montevideo. There were some small stores in Puerto Madryn and they had penguins. I did not pay any attention and therefore do not know what they are made of.

If you ever make it to Manta, Ecuador and visit the taga button factory. They sold animals of all kinds carved from the taga nut, looks like ivory...

Many of the penguin carvings for sale in Argentina are made from rhodochrosite, a mainly rose- or pink-coloured mineral with white streaks. Attractive, but they do not bear any resemblance to the colour of any actual penguin.

John

We saw many in Ushuala.

There is a store at the pier as you make your way from the ships to the exit that take you to the town that carried many and its sister store was in the downtown area.

They had many at a wide range of price points.

Keith

• 1 month later...

I spent the rest of my Argentinian dollars at the Buenos Aries airport on some carved penguins. I bought some in a black and white....not sure if it is stone as they said it was (could be plastic?)

The ones I liked best were carved out of a pink stone - looked like pink quartz, but I think it is a different native stone. They come in all sizes and prices!

They had them at the crafts market at the plaza de armas in punts arenas (sorry- not on your route) in lapis. Wish now I had gotten one..... But I got a black and white one from Argentina on our ship.

My friend got on in rosé quartz on Florida Street in BsAs.

Archived