Did Carnival Change their Mattresses ?

IMSAILING

This does not bode well for my upcoming Baltic cruise. I hate a hard mattress. And no way am I toting an egg crate mattress pad to Europe. On our last cruise, the bed was so comfortable that I even considered buying the bedding. I got something similar from Overstock. And then I purchased a 4" memory foam mattress pad that had the egg crate design. Now that my bed at home is so comfortable, it will be really hard to have to sleep on a hard bed for almost 2 weeks. Maybe they haven't changed the beds on the Legend yet. I hope. :(

I thought it was just me but I definitely noticed a difference in the mattress on my past cruise on the Pride in February.

I have always slept so good and even considered buying one of their mattresses but this past cruise the mattress was very hard and uncomfortable!!

It's not just me, then. I used to LOVE Carnival's beds. This past cruise (a week ago) the mattress was horrible. It was like sleeping on plywood. WAY TOO HARD.

Yes.

Way too hard.

I know that I am spoiled as I have a really good not hard mattress, but it was a relief to get home and lie down.

DH was really tired after this last cruise and I think the mattress had a lot to do with it.

A mattress should not hurt.

Just got back from a cruise on Freedom (May 4th-12th), and intend to do a review - the good, the bad, and the ugly. The ugly def includes the matresses... HORRIBLE!! We sailed Freedom November 2011 and as with all previous Carnival cruises, the beds and the sleep we would get were awesome. This cruise - my cabin mate slept on the couch and I made due with the only solution Carnival offered after I complained - a comforter stuffed under the fitted sheet. This was/is NOT a solution.

This is the final straw. I can enjoy every part of a cruise on Carnival despite obvious cutbacks. Cheap, lousy, hard as plywood matresses and feeling exhausted the entire cruise - DONE. We have NEVER considered switching cruise lines. This was our 8th on Carnival and our last. My mattress at home is FIRM - and my first night back at home - it felt like the softest mattress I have ever used.

As I said, we've had other disappointments with Carnival, but pretty much they were "shrug your shoulders" minor annoyances. We will miss Carnival, but we will NOT vacation where we just cannot sleep. This is a show stopper screw up! Walmart of the seas indeed!

Mattresses were pretty bad on the Pride last week. Rock hard to the point it makes your hips numb. They no longer provide the egg crates but you are free to bring your own they said. [i wrote to them prior to the cruise] Now that should fit nicely in your suitcase!:rolleyes:

Why don't we all bring our own mattresses from home? :)

So far I haven't experienced this (read a lot about it)

but if/when it does happen to me, it's just the excuse I've been looking for

to switch from tacky Carnival to a more refined cruise line

- probably Princess. :)

Elevator_area-587.jpg

Tasteful decor on Caribbean Princess.

Murcott - We were on the Pride last week, slept fine.

Aplmac - If you want to cruise another line ... do it. Who needs an excuse? Lame.

HUGE bummer if true. I will be on the Glory in a few weeks and report back.

Usually, this is the only time I acutally sleep through the night is when I am on a cruise.

I too, almost bought the mattress as I FEEL IN LOVE:D

I'll be on the glory a month from Today!

wow, this has me very scared. I may have to go check out prices on RCI. I loved the mattress on my last cruise in 2011. I don't think I'll have much fun if the mattresses are that horrid.

Why don't we all bring our own mattresses from home? :)

So far I haven't experienced this (read a lot about it)

but if/when it does happen to me, it's just the excuse I've been looking for

to switch from tacky Carnival to a more refined cruise line

- probably Princess. :)

Elevator_area-587.jpg

Tasteful decor on Caribbean Princess.

I've sailed Princess, their mattresses aren't great either to be honest! :P

My first cruise on Valor in 2011 I slept so good and was really looking forward to that same restful sleep when we went on our second cruise in 2012 on Dream.......my dreams were not so sweet. I woke up on day two wuth an awful crick in my neck/shoulder and was very uncomfortable for the next day or so :(. I was so disappointed in the quality of the bed, now I know not to expect anything heavenly about the mattresses on our next cruise this coming October. I will just be taking my bonine before bed and hope that lulls me to sleep! LOL

Anyone know if the mattresses on the Splendor have been downgraded or about to be?

I was under the impression that Carnival had the most comfortable bedding in the industry. That seems to be a thing of the past from what people are now saying.

We were on the breeze in April and our lower backs hurt every morning. I agree that the mattresses were different than they were a year ago. We have always looked forward to the comfy beds while onboard but not after the last cruise. They have no support at all.

I posted to John on Facebook here is his response:

people complaining............on Cruise Critic..........no....I am shocked:) Seriously though we have not changed our matresses and still use the Carnival Comfort Beds. It is important to note that if you are uncomfortable most ships have spare/new matresses and we can swap..not always..........but often we can. If you are uncomfortable please tell your State Room Steward and he or she will do what they can. I checked the logs here on our last 12 day cruise and we received 1 negative comment from a guest who said his maattress was too soft. Its difficult to please everyone as we often compare to what we have at home and are used to but the simple answer is no..........we have not changed them and if anyone needs my help with as pecific cabin let me know. cheers

I posted to John on Facebook here is his response:

people complaining............on Cruise Critic..........no....I am shocked:) Seriously though we have not changed our matresses and still use the Carnival Comfort Beds. It is important to note that if you are uncomfortable most ships have spare/new matresses and we can swap..not always..........but often we can. If you are uncomfortable please tell your State Room Steward and he or she will do what they can. I checked the logs here on our last 12 day cruise and we received 1 negative comment from a guest who said his maattress was too soft. Its difficult to please everyone as we often compare to what we have at home and are used to but the simple answer is no..........we have not changed them and if anyone needs my help with as pecific cabin let me know. cheers

Once again his response shows he knows nothing.

Once again his response shows he knows nothing.

What would you expect from someone who, for years was saying that CCL was working on improving the loyalty program and that people will love it?:rolleyes:

Yes they did. They are not the super comfortable beds that were introduced back in 2005 / 2006 as the "Carnival Comfort Collection".

My guess is that the pillow top mattresses did not last as long as the rock hard pieces of plywood they are using now. We certainly have noticed a decline in mattress quality and comfort. My February cruise on the Breeze had a very hard mattress. I think I would have been better sleeping on the floor. By the end of the week I was crippled with a sore back which I never experience elsewhere. Just more cutbacks

Y

My guess is that the pillow top mattresses did not last as long as the rock hard pieces of plywood they are using now. We certainly have noticed a decline in mattress quality and comfort. My February cruise on the Breeze had a very hard mattress. I think I would have been better sleeping on the floor. By the end of the week I was crippled with a sore back which I never experience elsewhere. Just more cutbacks

Cheap, hard mattresses can last a long time. That's why places like Americas Best Inn will use them. Just another step toward turning CCL into the Motel 6 of the sea.

I wonder if it's certain cabins that mattresses get worn out.

Not the whole ship.

- and mattresses get replaced on a per-cabin basis, as and when needed.

Maybe Triumph had all the ship's mattresses replaced

in light of what happened -but Triumph's situation is far from normal replacement procedure.

Mattresses do cost money, you know! :rolleyes:

I wonder if its certain cabins that mattresses get worn out. Not the whole ship.

Yes, in the handicap rooms, I would get flamed if I told you why this is true, could lead to heavy differences of opinions...

Yes, in the handicap rooms, I would get flamed if I told you why this is true,

could lead to weighted differences of opinions...

Yes, I could see how handicapped people have issues and "accidents"

-and therefore those cabins have their mattresses replaced more frequently

perhaps much more frequently...than non-handicapped cabins.

Archived