A Cautionary Tale re: Booking

KnoxvilleSam

On April 27 we booked the Solstice New Zealand cruise (for January 2015) directly with Celebrity, booking 9215 (a desirable hump cabin). Another couple going with us, working with a travel agent, tried to get a hump cabin near us. We got an email from the other couple, saying we'd changed cabins. I called Celebrity and told them we did NOT want to be moved and had not authorized any move to a different (and much less desirable) cabin. The Celebrity agent checked our booking correspondence and told me that I'd switched cabins on May 5, doing so online. I told her I had not done that. She then informed me that if I visited our booking on My Celebrity and had even looked at another cabin (by clicking on a different cabin), the Celebrity system would assume that I wanted to change cabins. I was flabbergasted!

If we were not traveling with another couple who noticed the discrepancy, we might well have shown up on January 27 and then, and only then, learned that we didn't have the cabin we'd signed up for. Since we were able to discover Celebrity's manipulation of our booking early, we were able to get our original choice.

A word to the wise - check and re-check your booking until you board to make sure that some Celebrity website gremlin has not messed with you.

So you did not do any of the things that Celebrity claimed and your cabin was mysteriously changed? That is scary. They really need to do something about their online presence. It's starting to make them look like an amateur outfit in spite of all their great sail time qualities. OK, maybe "starting" was being kind. I think we've been there for a while.

Tom

On April 27 we booked the Solstice New Zealand cruise (for January 2015) directly with Celebrity, booking 9215 (a desirable hump cabin). Another couple going with us, working with a travel agent, tried to get a hump cabin near us. We got an email from the other couple, saying we'd changed cabins. I called Celebrity and told them we did NOT want to be moved and had not authorized any move to a different (and much less desirable) cabin. The Celebrity agent checked our booking correspondence and told me that I'd switched cabins on May 5, doing so online. I told her I had not done that. She then informed me that if I visited our booking on My Celebrity and had even looked at another cabin (by clicking on a different cabin), the Celebrity system would assume that I wanted to change cabins. I was flabbergasted!

If we were not traveling with another couple who noticed the discrepancy, we might well have shown up on January 27 and then, and only then, learned that we didn't have the cabin we'd signed up for. Since we were able to discover Celebrity's manipulation of our booking early, we were able to get our original choice.

A word to the wise - check and re-check your booking until you board to make sure that some Celebrity website gremlin has not messed with you.

So if I'm in a inside and I happen to look at a suite they'll change me to that huh? Don't know exactly what happened to your reservation but it sounds like you got a CS rep that makes it up as they go along.

But then again, who knows.

So you did not do any of the things that Celebrity claimed and your cabin was mysteriously changed?

Tom

Come on.

Much more likely the X agent misspoke herself (See how kind I am in saying she gave you false information!). A more correct statement, I would guess, would be to tell booked passengers that if they log on and start looking for other locations, it would be easy to make a mistake and click on something which does request a change. Or, even more likely if your laptop is anything like my current frustrating laptop, your cursor can click on something you never intended -- all on its own. Clearly an IT mistake was made. But do you really think the website is set up to guess what you may or may not have had in mind???

OP, your warning is very well given.

I'm never surprised by anything I hear about the Celebrity website these days.

Tom

Come on.

Much more likely the X agent misspoke herself (See how kind I am in saying she gave you false information!). A more correct statement, I would guess, would be to tell booked passengers that if they log on and start looking for other locations, it would be easy to make a mistake and click on something which does request a change. Or, even more likely if your laptop is anything like my current frustrating laptop, your cursor can click on something you never intended -- all on its own. Clearly an IT mistake was made. But do you really think the website is set up to guess what you may or may not have had in mind???

OP, your warning is very well given.

so if i'm in a inside and i happen to look at a suite they'll change me to that huh? Don't know exactly what happened to your reservation but it sounds like you got a cs rep that makes it up as they go along.

But then again, who knows.

:d:d

Same thing happened to me. Just learned of it yesterday. I booked 1605 on Silhouette back in March on the first day booking was opened. I have a confirmation with that cabin#. I periodically looked at my reservation, and it was clearly 1605. Yesterday I checked my reservation to see if my TA had completed the transfer I had requested to be made the day prior. When I logged into my account, I saw that my TA information was there (transfer completed) and my cabin number was 1604. I thought perhaps the change happened in the transfer, but didn't know why, and could not reach my TA by phone, so left a voicemail. Then I called Celebrity to ask, and was not even sure they would give me any information as the booking was now with my TA. But a rep did speak with me, and told me it had nothing to do with the transfer; that the change had been made weeks earlier, but she could not explain why. Luckily my original cabin was still available, but the rep could not hold it because I have a TA. However, my TA got my message, and was able to get the cabin back last night.

DH and I reserved a sweet sixteen on the Reflection in November. I thought maybe I was alittle paranoid because I check the reservation once a week to make sure the cabin is still correct. No problems so far but I'm feeling slightly vindicated in checking. Thanks for posting.

Similar thing happened to us. I had booked an AFT cabin on Infinity for November 2013 in August of 2012. I was looking at excursions a few months later and noticed a decrease in the price of the cruise. I was excited until I saw that my C1 stateroom on deck 9 was changed to a C3 stateroom on deck 8. I called Celebrity and was told that I had changed my stateroom online. They even gave me the date and time that it was changed. I explained that this wasn't possible because I didn't have access to a computer at that time. I booked the cruise early because I wanted the Aft stateroom. I talked to several people at Celebrity concerning this and everyone insisted that I had changed the stateroom. No one was willing to help and the aft staterooms were all booked. Ended up cancelling the cruise along with other family members. I have rebooked the cruise for March 2014 with the 123 Go promotion and a balcony stateroom but this whole thing has really left me with bad feelings towards Celebrity and may still cancel the cruise and go with a different cruise line.

DH and I reserved a sweet sixteen on the Reflection in November. I thought maybe I was alittle paranoid because I check the reservation once a week to make sure the cabin is still correct. No problems so far but I'm feeling slightly vindicated in checking. Thanks for posting.

The sweet 16 exists on reflection? I thought those were only on M class ships?

Presume I've missed something :-)

Archived