Which area for Hotwire or Priceline in Boston

kicia

We are flying in, staying 6 nights (no car), taking a cruise and flying home afterwards. Which area(s) should I be looking for in Boston. We have never been there before and are total newbies to this area. Thank you!

What are your dates? Back Bay would be first. Theater District, Quincy Market, Financial, and Waterfront would be fine too. It?'s the luck of the draw as to what's out there which is why you need to tell us your dates.

4* hotel in Back Bay for $172 + tax and 85% approval rating. Could be the Lenox or the Colonnade and maybe even the Westin.

3.5 * Theater District hotel for $119 + tax and an 80% approval rating. I will see if I can figure out what this might be. I think someone was looking at this hotel before. My instincts tell me it's more of a 3* hotel. Could be the Doubletree.

Thank you. Yes, it is for two people. I want to go as cheaply as possible and below $200 per night. I'd like $100 but I know that's not going to happen. We'll work around whatever the price is.

You should consider the 3.5* hotel in the Theater District for $119. It is likely to be the Doubletree. Read the Tripadvisor reviews and if it sounds OK to you, then go for it. It's not going to be a brand new buffed up property, but folks do mention that it is clean and it's well located. Someone mentioned paying $400+ for this property. Certainly not worth that. I would expect a whole lot at that price. But for a well located hotel under $150, it's a good deal.

For a reality check, look at the named hotels on Hotwire to see what the "discount" prices are for your dates.

That's excellent to know. The Park Plaza is tagged as a 4*, but I guess it's rating has changed on Hotwire. It's an older hotel, but the location is closer to Boston Common than the Doubletree. Your listing looks the same as the one we were looking at, so there's a good chance it would be the Park Plaza for kicia.

These are really super prices for a hotel in downtown.

138East: My husband & I are planning on going to Boston July 5-7. Not cruising, just a weekend away but always get great info here so figured I'd check out threads. We're taking Amtrak to Boston.

I've been reading your hotel suggestions of various threads. Since pier isn't an issue, just seeing sights what area would you suggest we stay? What area does Amtrak come into? I've never used hotwire or anything similiar. Is hotwire what you'd suggest for a good rate? No naming your price on that one, just pick the area & price listed & they tell you later what you got, right?

Thanks for any help.

Hotwire is not behaving tonight. I will look in the morning for you. On Hotwire you pick the hotel and pay the price they list + tax. Hotwire also has named hotels you can pick, which is like using Expedia or travelocity.

If you get a hotel in Back Bay,you can get off Amtrak in Back Bay. Otherwise you would get off at South Station, which is a short cab ride from the hotels in the Theater District and Quincy Market/ Financial District.

Here's what it am seeing on Hotwire for July 5-7. *There*are no guarantees about the exact hotel until you buy.

Back Bay - 4* hotel with a 90% approval for $162 - Copley Square or Eliot hotels

Quincy Market - 4.5* hotel with a 95% approval for $167 - Fairmount Battery Wharf or Intercontinental hotels

There is actually quite a selection out there for the holiday weekend and there are nice hotels for less money. *If you want to see Boston, there is no ideal location. *Wherever you are, you are going to want to go someplace else at some point. The advantage to Back Bay is that there are two indoor malls and lots of restaurants and more*action at night. *However,it is a holiday weekend, so I would imagine the city will be busy wherever you stay.

Thanks so much 138east & Got2Cruise. I think we'll look at Back Bay area hotels.

Also appreciated the Hotwire explanation. I was originally confused because I've read that some people picked hotels but when I went on there it seemed like to you didn't know what you were getting.

Love cruisecritic!!! People are so helpful!

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know that I got my bid on Priceline for the 6 nights, July 8 through July 14. We bid for the Quincy Market/Financial district and Boston Common. We received the Boston Park Plaza for $125 per night. It looks like a good location, I hope.

We will probably take the T from the airport to the hotel so what directions do I need for that. Also how do we get from the hotel to the cruise terminal?

Thank you!

The location is excellent and is one block from the Arlington T station. To get there from the Airport you would take the Silver Line to South Station and transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife. Walk towards the back of the train, but not all the way to the end. Ride two stops to Park St and transfer to the Green Line any train. I've forgotten how the exit is marked, but you do NOT want direction Lechmere. You will have to carry your luggage up the stairs in this station and then carry it up several steps onto the trolley. You can take any trolley two stops to Arlington.

Another option would be to get off the Silver Line at South Station and take a cab if you don't want to manage your luggage up and down steps and onto what might be a crowded trolley. What time and day of the week would you be doing this?

You got a super price on the hotel, but you should know at the major complaint is the size of the beds and the size of the room, so be prepared. If you're there a lot of nights and aren't happy with the room, you may be able to persuade them to move you.

Archived