How "Grand" are the Grand Voyages?

Mekka

My wife and I just made a reservation on the 78 day Grand Asia trip next year on the Amsterdam. We've sailed the Amsterdam before and have liked it, but we are paying a premium for the Grand Voyage and are curious about the differences.

We're just shy of becoming 5 star Mariners and have certainly noticed the cost cutting over the last few years that has been well documented on this website. I realize that all cruise lines are going through this painful process and am curious to what extent it has affected the Grand Voyages.

Realistically, how different are they? We prefer longer itineraries on the smaller HAL ships, but beyond those advantages, are the Grand Voyages all that different? I know about the HAL claims of better staffing/food and little gifts along the way. Is it enough to be noticeable (and justify a price premium)? Or is it basically marketing hype? I would appreciate hearing your opinions on this matter.

I have two very different grand voyage experiences to share.

2010 - Amsterdam - Asia and Australia - fabulous in all respects!

2012 - Prinsendam - South America and Antarctica - no so much. In comparison to the 2010 grand voyage (and to a 2011 Baltic on the Eurodam), the cost cutting was very obvious, especially in terms of food quality and gifts. Also obvious that crew/staff was stressed to the max. Windows and tables not cleaned, etc.

Not having been back on the Amsterdam, I can't tell you if my 2012 experience was simply a matter of which ship, or if it was about across-the-board cost-cutting a year and a half later.

The good news IMO is that you are on the better ship with the better itinerary. I would probably repeat the Asia/Australia on the Amsterdam, regardless of cost cutting. But wild horses couldn't drag me to another South America grand voyage on the Prinsensam.

Enjoy the wonderfull itinerary and hopefully the Amsterdam has kept up better standards.

mary

I have two very different grand voyage experiences to share.

2010 - Amsterdam - Asia and Australia - fabulous in all respects!

2012 - Prinsendam - South America and Antarctica - no so much. In comparison to the 2010 grand voyage (and to a 2011 Baltic on the Eurodam), the cost cutting was very obvious, especially in terms of food quality and gifts. Also obvious that crew/staff was stressed to the max. Windows and tables not cleaned, etc.

Not having been back on the Amsterdam, I can't tell you if my 2012 experience was simply a matter of which ship, or if it was about across-the-board cost-cutting a year and a half later.

The good news IMO is that you are on the better ship with the better itinerary. I would probably repeat the Asia/Australia on the Amsterdam, regardless of cost cutting. But wild horses couldn't drag me to another South America grand voyage on the Prinsensam.

Enjoy the wonderfull itinerary and hopefully the Amsterdam has kept up better standards.

mary

Could you tell us the difference between the two that makes you feel this way? What was it about the South American GV that made the negative difference? The ports? We just finished a 29 day on another line....wouldn't go back on that ship unless it was another fabulous itinerary at a cheap price, but glad we went the one time.

Could you tell us the difference between the two that makes you feel this way? What was it about the South American GV that made the negative difference? The ports? We just finished a 29 day on another line....wouldn't go back on that ship unless it was another fabulous itinerary at a cheap price, but glad we went the one time.

I didn't find the SA ports as interesting as Asia, but the main difference was the cost cutting and stressed ambiance on the Prinsendam, as I described here:

In comparison to the 2010 grand voyage (and to a 2011 Baltic on the Eurodam), the cost cutting was very obvious, especially in terms of food quality and gifts. Also obvious that crew/staff was stressed to the max. Windows and tables not cleaned, etc.

The whole atmosphere was "off" and "cheap" as compared to my 2010 grand voyage on the Amsterdam and my 2011 Baltic cruise - both on Holland America.

I'd like to believe things have righted themselves, but I'm not willing to invest thousands of dollars to find out.

We did a segment on Amsterdam's 2012 Grand Asia and found the voyage markedly above 7 other HAL cruises we have taken, particularly in terms of food quality, service and entertainment. We have since taken another HAL cruise and do not feel the "cost cutting," which is the subject of so much controversy on these boards, to effect the enjoyment of the cruise to any extent. Yes, its an annoyance to be charged for cappuccino or espresso in the MDR, but that falls rather low on my pecking order. Also, I've never had much feeling, one way or another, for cruise directors, but the cruise director we had on Amsterdam, Gene Young, was truly exceptional. The Amsterdam, though old by current standards, is kept in meticulous condition and all engineering services were flawless. I am confident you will have a wonderful cruise that you remember for a lifetime.

We did a segment on Amsterdam's 2012 Grand Asia and found the voyage markedly above 7 other HAL cruises we have taken, particularly in terms of food quality, service and entertainment. We have since taken another HAL cruise and do not feel the "cost cutting," which is the subject of so much controversy on these boards, to effect the enjoyment of the cruise to any extent. Yes, its an annoyance to be charged for cappuccino or espresso in the MDR, but that falls rather low on my pecking order. Also, I've never had much feeling, one way or another, for cruise directors, but the cruise director we had on Amsterdam, Gene Young, was truly exceptional. The Amsterdam, though old by current standards, is kept in meticulous condition and all engineering services were flawless. I am confident you will have a wonderful cruise that you remember for a lifetime.

I think you are onto something. Leadership on any given ship makes a big difference to the passenger experience (not unlike our work experiences at home). It isn't so much the ship but the hotel director and the cruise director and how well the staff cooperates and communicates.

I think you are onto something. Leadership on any given ship makes a big difference to the passenger experience (not unlike our work experiences at home). It isn't so much the ship but the hotel director and the cruise director and how well the staff cooperates and communicates.

Absolutely right. We were told that staffing for "grand Voyage" ships; i.e. Amsterdam, were specially selected - the "cream of the crop," so to speak.

Good news for certain Grand Voyage passengers.

When we first sailed on HAL, they offered approximately five special breakfasts each day in the MDR. Then, a few years ago, when a new menu was adopted, they cut out the special breakfasts.

We just returned from a Grand Voyage and when we went down for breakfast the first morning, to our surprise, there smiling up at us, was a list of special breakfasts. The list changed almost every day and they were very special indeed. (I especially liked the Dutch Apple Pancakes and my spouse liked the Zucchini Bread French Toast, but there was fancier stuff too, sometimes with crab.)

Even for those who don't go to the MDR for breakfast, the change has some implications. For those who can't stand seeing other passengers going around with smiles on their faces, it will be frustrating since it will increase the number of smiles. For those who like happy fellow passengers, it will enhance their experience.

But for those of us who almost always go to breakfast in the MDR, it will add about an hour and a half of enjoyment; first, the anticipation of an nice surprise in what is offered, and then the event itself.

Finally, maybe it's a hopeful sign that some of the modifications made in response to the financial crisis may be beginning to be reversed.

Good news for certain Grand Voyage passengers.

When we first sailed on HAL, they offered approximately five special breakfasts each day in the MDR. Then, a few years ago, when a new menu was adopted, they cut out the special breakfasts.

We just returned from a Grand Voyage and when we went down for breakfast the first morning, to our surprise, there smiling up at us, was a list of special breakfasts. The list changed almost every day and they were very special indeed. (I especially liked the Dutch Apple Pancakes and my spouse liked the Zucchini Bread French Toast, but there was fancier stuff too, sometimes with crab.)

Even for those who don't go to the MDR for breakfast, the change has some implications. For those who can't stand seeing other passengers going around with smiles on their faces, it will be frustrating since it will increase the number of smiles. For those who like happy fellow passengers, it will enhance their experience.

But for those of us who almost always go to breakfast in the MDR, it will add about an hour and a half of enjoyment; first, the anticipation of an nice surprise in what is offered, and then the event itself.

Finally, maybe it's a hopeful sign that some of the modifications made in response to the financial crisis may be beginning to be reversed.

I think Hal has a very extensive menu so I don't really get the complaint about breakfast specials. I got back from Princess about 3 weeks ago. They also had specials but their menu was minuscule. Give me Hals menu any day.

Absolutely right. We were told that staffing for "grand Voyage" ships; i.e. Amsterdam, were specially selected - the "cream of the crop," so to speak.

I really have to wonder about this. When we see Lido waiters on their very first contract with HAL, we don't think "experienced" nor "cream of the crop"!

If I ever take a Grand Voyage, it will be the itinerary that lures me in, not any special grand amenities. I followed a number of world cruise blogs and felt the grand amenities were window dressing. I cannot get excited about a bit of free bubbly (I'd rather drink a mediocre beer), some caviar (fishy tasting jelly), free lemonade (!), lack of open dining, or pillow gifts (I have too much stuff already). I would expect any longer cruise to be a bit better, with servers getting to know their clients better and cruisers getting more in tune with the ship.

I really have to wonder about this. When we see Lido waiters on their very first contract with HAL, we don't think "experienced" nor "cream of the crop"!

What is it that makes you "wonder?" You don't believe that the Grand Voyages have a more experienced staff? I don't know how experienced our ships' staffs have been, but I have never had occasion to criticize their efforts. Call us lucky, perhaps, but HAL's trademark is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.

We ran into our very first MDR steward (the best we've ever had) several years later on one of our cruises. He was so excited to tell us that he had just returned from the World Cruise. In talking with him, he said that it was considered an "honor" to be selected to work that cruise.

We had a wonderful Grand Cruise on the Prinsendam....but thought the main benefit of the cruise went to HA which charged more per passenger day then most non grand cruises. Yes, we did get a few gifts....but nothing worth the extra money paid for the cruise. As to the crew, it was the normal crew who were simply serving out their normal contracts. There were few noticeable staff changes for the Grand Cruise. HA did provide some free shuttle service in a few ports....which was a plus. The reality is that the longer cruises are also sold in segments (more then a dozen on our cruise) so quite a few fellow passengers were simply taking shorter cruises. With passengers leaving and joining at many ports....something special is lost. A big negative for some is that HA does not allow open sitting dining on Grand Cruises.

Hank

You saw this on the Amsterdam?

What is it that makes you "wonder?" You don't believe that the Grand Voyages have a more experienced staff? I don't know how experienced our ships' staffs have been, but I have never had occasion to criticize their efforts. Call us lucky, perhaps, but HAL's trademark is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.

What information do you have to say the 'best' employees are on grand voyages? I doubt if there is an opening on a ship it goes to the most experienced. As a matter of fact I have heard from some Hal employees that they don't enjoy the longer cruises as the expectations are so much higher.

What information do you have to say the 'best' employees are on grand voyages? I doubt if there is an opening on a ship it goes to the most experienced. As a matter of fact I have heard from some Hal employees that they don't enjoy the longer cruises as the expectations are so much higher.

I was told that the crew for grand voyages were hand picked by senior staff officers. Of course, they may just have been "blowing smoke" but my personal observations seemed to confirm that. Grand voyages that stop in Indonesia are particularly desirable for the 70% of the crew that are Indonesian. HAL made a special effort to reunite Indonesian crew members with their families when we stopped in Samarang, Indonesia. It stands to reason an Indonesian itinerary would be enticing to these crew member and competitive for assignment.

Hlitner:

The fares were higher, but there were a considerable number of vacant cabins, so I can't even guess whether or not HAL did well on the cruise.

It seemed to me reminiscent of the days before the financial crisis, when cruise lines set a price and then offered last minute reductions only in a disciplined way.

I hope the results were favorable to both our interests and HAL's, which overlap to a considerable degree even though they diverge in other respects.

I was told that the crew for grand voyages were hand picked by senior staff officers. Of course, they may just have been "blowing smoke" but my personal observations seemed to confirm that. Grand voyages that stop in Indonesia are particularly desirable for the 70% of the crew that are Indonesian. HAL made a special effort to reunite Indonesian crew members with their families when we stopped in Samarang, Indonesia. It stands to reason an Indonesian itinerary would be enticing to these crew member and competitive for assignment.

Yes I can understand that the cruise that would stop in Indonesia would be a great perk for the Indonesian workers. I'm not convinced that the workers would be hand picked. If they would have to be plucked from other ships I would think that would be a bit of a logistical nightmare.

Yes I can understand that the cruise that would stop in Indonesia would be a great perk for the Indonesian workers. I'm not convinced that the workers would be hand picked. If they would have to be plucked from other ships I would think that would be a bit of a logistical nightmare.

I don't think they are "plucked" as that would be a logistical problem. Purely speculation, but my guess is that, when vacancies occur, they evaluate prospective replacements and select those they evaluate as best qualified. The pool may be from existing crew members renewing their contracts or "newbies" without experience who are deemed to have high potential based on their qualifications.

But back to the basic issue of whether a Grand Cruise is worth paying more for - I can only tell you that, in my experience, the quality of Amsterdam in all respects was clearly and markedly higher than the 7 other HAL ships in which I've cruised. Whether its worth paying a premium price is a matter of individual judgement.

We've been trying to plan a Grand Voyage for the last few years, so we will be curious to see if it seems worth the premium. That's obviously a subjective thing, but I can't help feeling a little suspicious that the definition of Grand is getting watered down.

The propensity to cut the longer itineraries into smaller pieces is a good example. Last year, we did the 35 day Circumnavigation of Australia, which was a wonderful trip. However, there were literally people getting on and off in every port. None of those "segments" were listed on HAL's website, but they were taking any offers by the end.

We called it the "Hop on Hop off" cruise.

You are responding to the wrong poster. I didn't say that. But now that you mention it, I believe that one of the posters of the World voyage said that on their blog.

You are responding to the wrong poster. I didn't say that. But now that you mention it, I believe that one of the posters of the World voyage said that on their blog.

Here are your two posts. The first one sure seems like you are saying they are experienced so no, I'm not responding to the wrong poster.

Archived