room safe

momtodogs

How large are the room safes on the Amsterdam? My sister and I will be sharing an inside cabin, and need to know how much space we will have for jewelry, important docs, etc.

North to Alaska on August 28! Doing the first cruise happy dance!

Haven't been on the Amsterdam but assume the safes are fairly universal on all HAL ships. I usually have a jewelry "wallet" that fits fine along with our air tickets, traveler's checks, extra cash....and there's room for more. I can't give you dimensions but they're usually sized with the traveler in mind and should be more than adequate for two people. Enjoy your cruise!!

I want to say that it's about the size of a standard shoe box. At least that's the closest comparison I can think of right now. I don't have the exact measurements. I know we put extra cash, passports, cell phones, jewelry, etc., in ours and it gets fairly filled up.

Plenty of room in the safe - we put travel documents like air travel e-tickets in there as well as 4 sets of house and car keys, passports, wallets, travelor checks, and my jewelry case. I have a nice soft one that holds a lot of stuff that i got from Magellans a few years ago.

The door to the safe is smaller than the actual safe, however. Sometimes it can be difficult to get larger things in, although they fit when you succeed.

Aren't there still safe deposit boxes at the front desk? That's a possible alternative if something needs safekeeping and the safe doesn't work out.

There's also a locking drawer in each nightstand.

In case the room safe isn't large enough, there are also lockable drawers in the bed-side stand. You may also choose to put larger things in the ship's safe at the front desk.

One thing that we have found convenient is to take along a small flashlight to look in the room safe as they are dark inside.

I assume Amsterdam is the same as Rotterdam, where I was in May. I brought my laptop and kept it in the locked bedside drawer and felt it was very safe there. My laptop is a large screen one and it fit fine.

You could keep jewelry in the safe and other not-quite-so valuables in the bedside drawer.

We have never even bothered to try to lock up the laptop -- our theory on that is that the ship is a finite, closed environment -- hard to steal from

We do lock up cash and other valuables

Am I being stupid?

Also, you say the Westerdam safe is electronic, and you program your own code? The HAL safes on the smaller ships use a credit card (or a Starbuck's card as I have been known to use)

Does anyone know about the Zuiderdam? I will be traveling on Saturday (woo hoo!) Program a code or a credit card? A programmable code would be great, but I am all set this trip the with credit card that became useless last week when the number was stolen and used fraudulently by someone over a thousand miles from my home -- so now it is totally useless for all except things like the room safe.

Please advise if anyone knows. Thanks in advance!

The safes on the Prinsendam are credit card activated as opposed to code operated. I take along a seldom used card in case the usage causes the card to become deactivated. Certainly don't want any frequently used ones deactivated with so many shopping opportunities in port!

I don't put much store in locking stuff in the night stand. A few years ago on the Ryndam we temporarily misplaced our key but the room steward had it opened with some key he got from housekeeping in about 10 minutes time. I certainly wouldn't put important documents, credit cards, jewelry, and/or cash in anything but the safe. Cameras, laptops, etc., are OK but it's more to keep them out of sight than it is for absolute security.

Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the safes are not that much harder than the locked drawers to access -- a couple of years ago the battery on the in room programmable safe in our cabin on the Grand Princess died and with its death locked all of our valuables in the safe. One call to the front desk and someone appeared with a master key and was right into the safe and fixed it for us.

I consider the safe more a way to get attrative things (like cash) out of temptations path rather than anything truly secure. Bottom line is I never take too much other than cash and credit cards that is valuable, but I do appreciate a place to put things that would require at least some time and thought and planning to penetrate.

Archived