First timer on 2 day Princess

britichick

Hi all, just booked for a 2 day mini cruise on the Royal Princess in June, I have never cruised before so really excited but a little bit apprehensive too.

I have a few questions, if that's ok?

I've booked the holiday inn at Sothampton with parking, I read some where that you can walk to the terminal, is that with suitcases? And is there only 1 terminal?

What time would you recommend getting there, can board from 12

Luggage, how much are you allowed to take?

Water bottles- I don't go anywhere without a water bottle, can I take a few on the case with me? The travel agent said it was just like going through airport security so you couldn't take liquids in your hand luggage but I read you can take a bottle of wine each on board with princess, but it should be in your hand luggage!

Sorry for all the questions....there may be more LOL, thank you :D

I would recommend posting these questions on the Princess Cruise Line Board to get answers to any Princess only related questions.

In terms of luggage, there is no real limit but with such a short cruise you shouldn't need too much.

You should be able to board at Noon so I would plan to arrive around 11:15.

You can take a water bottle with you. You do go through security but items such as water are fine.

Keith

There are 2 x 2 night preview cruises in June before ships maiden Voyage.

The roll call for the 9th is here:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1779246

And for the 14th:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1772686

Please do come over to the roll call to join in the fun. Also on the roll calls is some great information about the hotels people are in and how the are getting to the terminal. Royal will be eaving from Ocean terminal, there is also Mayflower, City, and QE2 terminals.

If you have not seen it, here is an excellent thread (probably one of the best ever on Cruise Critic) regarding the Royal Princess:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1766069

As I see you are new to cruising and to Cruise Critic, you should know that Royal Princess is still in Italy being built!! The preview cruises will not be like a proper cruise, there might be somethings not open, or work still being done to finish the ship. It will however be a great 2 nights on board.

If somethings not open then it will probably something minor (I hope) such as the Princess Live TV studio which to be honest wont make any different to a 2 night cruise or perhaps one of the coffee bars. From what we have seen so far thogh everthing looks to be on track to be 100% ready for the first sailings.

You do however get the honour of being on a brand new, straight out of the factory, fresh ship for your very first cruise :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Warning!!

Once you have completed that mini cruise, you will be kicking yourself for not having booked a longer cruise.

You will be hooked.

I'm hoping so! Time is a bit of an issue for us at the moment! Really hope we love it as cruises look really fab

thank you very much for everyone's warm welcomes!

Unless there are different rules in England you should be able to take a couple of water bottles in your carryon. In the US, going through a cruiseline checkpoint is much easier than at an airport and the rules aren't nearly as stringent.

Wouldn't worry about a few venues on the ship being closed. This is a shakedown for the staff on a brand new ship. I think most will be open so the staff can experience conditions once they start sailing full itineraries.

Agree with KK........too bad it isn't longer.........you'll be hooked and on a brand new ship as well.........:)

IMHO, I'm not so sure a 2 day shakeout for a new ship is going to convience the hubby to want to do the real thing.

Well it's booked now so nothing I can do about it, with different comments I'm beginning to regret it!

Well it's booked now so nothing I can do about it, with different comments I'm beginning to regret it!

Don't regret it, I wish we were in your shoes. On this side of the pond we don't get a chance to touch, see & feel a new ship like you are going to. Lets hope it does the job you want, and he go's, WOW, let's do a longer one!

While it won't give you the real flavour of a longer cruise, it will certainly give you a taste of on-board life - and will probably lead to longer cruises for you both!

You can certainly take a water bottle (or several) on board with you . There is no rule regarding quantities of liquids going through the security and on board, the only proviso is that your carry on luggage must fit through the scanner, which is roughly the same size as most airport scanners. So, carry on luggage doesn't have to be airline carry on size.

There may be a couple of hitches on board (that's why they have these pre-launch previews) but as long as you are not expecting perfection in every detail you will have a great time. Our first cruise was on Emerald Princess when she was just a few months old, and we were hooked.

I have friends going on one of the preview sailings and they are really looking forward to it.

We have stayed at one of the Southampton Holiday Inns (the one on Herbert Walker Avenue - there are several) and we were pretty close to the terminal but still took a taxi as it would not have been that easy to get directly to the cruise terminal. I'm not sure which of the terminals you will be sailing from. I suggest you check which terminal it is and then check Google maps. Or treat yourself to a taxi!

• 3 weeks later...

Dont regret booking a 2 day experience cruise there a great way of finding out if you like it or not .

cruising is great and princess is the place to be .

you can bring as much luggage as you want .

the idea is to go on board relax and enjoy the whole experience then look for your next cruise to a far flung destination .

enjoy your cruise we all do

Archived