Man's camelhair blazer -- what pants, tie, etc?

wow. Even in men's clothing, there are wildly divergent opinions. First off, it is a camel color camel hair, right? Camel hair jackets come in different colors now. I have usually seen brown pants and shoes with camel hair jackets. But, from what I've read, just about anything goes - many of the sites I just search also say that camel hair with a nice pair of jeans is a good look. Most went with the white or pink shirt, but with a bold tie. I did see one photo where the model had a checked shirt on and it looked pretty good to me:

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_357199

I hope you are doing a fall/winter cruise and not one in the summer to the Caribbean. Camel hair is definitely not a summer choice. One blogger said "camels wear their hair in much hotter weather, but they have humpfuls of water to cool themselves off" (from GQ)

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

slidergirl, thanks for the link. It'll be a winter cruise, NOT the Carib, and yes it is camel-coloured camelhair ;) I think I will NOT suggest "jeans" to DH, or that'd be the ONLY option he'd want :eek:

I think navy would look great with it. Camel and Navy are one of my favorite color-combos.

PLEASE no brown (unless it's a deep brown, like chocolate) or tan colored pants! :eek:

White shirt & a colored skinny tie.

LEXIpoo thanks for the pics. I like the black pants with the blazer. Not the rust pants though, DH and I are not of the age that we make fashion "statements" any longer ;) (though I suspect that DH has never really made fashion statements at any age :D )

I'm a bit relucant to go with brown, because IMHO we'd need to be very careful about the underlying tones in a brown pant, y'know?

Thanks again for the suggestions, everyone!

Some other ideas!

420x560.jpg

Camel+Camel+Herringbone+Sport+Coat.jpg

:o JMO but I don't like either of these looks.

And the sleeves in the top photo should be just a smidge longer. The french cuff and cufflink should show but that jacket sleeve is too short. IMO

Sail, apparently the new style of jacket for men is a narrower silhouette, shorter jacket, less fabric. I can't get used to it at all, but that's what the runway is showing these days ;) My DH is fairly tall and very slim (not that I'm jealous or anything!) and he just can't wear the new style. On him, it is not at all flattering.

And I agree about the sleeve length -- I thought the "rule' about french cuffs was show about 1", but again, fashion is constantly changing. Heck I used to wear hiphugger bellbottoms :eek: and thought they were great :D

:o JMO but I don't like either of these looks.

And the sleeves in the top photo should be just a smidge longer. The french cuff and cufflink should show but that jacket sleeve is too short. IMO

Much depends on who the look is intended for.

If it was for my son, a college student, I like the second look minus the bow tie.

However, if it was for my father, I'd say neither one.

I see where the disconnect comes in.

I'm 26...and very fashion forward.

But I style my dad sometimes and I personally think it's refreshing to see him in something trendy versus something that "looks his age". Life's to short to stick to the boring and mundane.

Sail, apparently the new style of jacket for men is a narrower silhouette, shorter jacket, less fabric. I can't get used to it at all, but that's what the runway is showing these days ;) My DH is fairly tall and very slim (not that I'm jealous or anything!) and he just can't wear the new style. On him, it is not at all flattering.

And I agree about the sleeve length -- I thought the "rule' about french cuffs was show about 1", but again, fashion is constantly changing. Heck I used to wear hiphugger bellbottoms :eek: and thought they were great :D

Stylish or not, "in" or not....

We all still have an opinion as to whether we like a style or not. :)

I can't stand half of what I see on designer women's fashion runways but when it gets translated into more mainstream and 'worn in real life', I like many of the looks more. I don't like the look of those jackets.

That is neither here nor there and I'm sure no one but me cares. :D

That's where having custom made suits is perfect. You get just the look you want and fits just they way you want. :) Same for french cuff dress shirts.

The POINT, which you guys clearly missed, of me posting those pictures is so that OP can get a visual, color wise, of what to pair with the blazer. Her husband already has a blazer.. so you liking or disliking those that were posted really has nothing to do with anything. :eek:

I didn't miss it.

I just don't like the black trousers with that color jacket and I really don't like the coral/rose or whatever color those pants are. :o

Those just are not colors I like seeing with a camel jacket on a gentleman.

That's a big oh well........ matters not to anyone. :D

The POINT, which you guys clearly missed, of me posting those pictures is so that OP can get a visual, color wise, of what to pair with the blazer. Her husband already has a blazer.. so you liking or disliking those that were posted really has nothing to do with anything. :eek:

No, i didn't miss the point of the pics, completely appreciated you posting them, and actually commented that I liked the look of the black pants with the camel. We've just got a bit of "thread drift" going on ;)

No, i didn't miss the point of the pics, completely appreciated you posting them, and actually commented that I liked the look of the black pants with the camel. We've just got a bit of "thread drift" going on ;)

I wasn't referring to you lol. I know you got what I was trying to do. I was talking about those that kept saying they didn't like the blazers that were posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see where the disconnect comes in.

I'm 26...and very fashion forward.

But I style my dad sometimes and I personally think it's refreshing to see him in something trendy versus something that "looks his age". Life's to short to stick to the boring and mundane.

I think it is great that you do that for your dad! I bet he appreciates it, too.

I've found that it is far too easy, at the age DH and I are at, to look like a parody if we aren't careful about how we integrate the new styles into our wardrobe.

My grandma used to say "There goes mutton dressed like lamb" and I never really understood that comment until I got to be in my 40s and looked in the mirror at myself in something I'd have had NO PROBLEM wearing a year or two prior. :eek: :D It's taken me a long time to find an overall style that works for me now, and at one time I could wear anything. Anything. I try to stay current, but can't do much with trends, y'know?

>SNIP<

That's where having custom made suits is perfect. You get just the look you want and fits just they way you want. :) Same for french cuff dress shirts.

LOL at the thought of

a) my DH getting a custom-made suit (he's more an off-the-rack blue jeans guy) :D -- run into the store, grab the same size he has worn since he was 18, and dash back to the car. He would NOT be able to tolerate the measuring, fitting, fabric selection, etc, etc. He'd run out of the tailor's screaming :D

b) finding anything "custom" around here other than ski boots :D

... though I'd love to see him in a bespoke suit. Sigh....

I think it is great that you do that for your dad! I bet he appreciates it, too.

I've found that it is far too easy, at the age DH and I are at, to look like a parody if we aren't careful about how we integrate the new styles into our wardrobe.

My grandma used to say "There goes mutton dressed like lamb" and I never really understood that comment until I got to be in my 40s and looked in the mirror at myself in something I'd have had NO PROBLEM wearing a year or two prior. :eek: :D It's taken me a long time to find an overall style that works for me now, and at one time I could wear anything. Anything. I try to stay current, but can't do much with trends, y'know?

I completely understand that lol...and I found that out the hard way. I picked out an outfit for my dad once and when he put it on he looked like a clown lol...so I've learned to tone it down, but still find little things to make his outfit pop...like ties, cufflinks, belts, etc!

Archived