Tips for 6/6 Victory cruise?

DirtDiver

We are planning on going on our first cruise, and have found one that fits within our schedules. It's the Victory, departing Miami on June 6th.

So my question is, anything specific I need to know? We are a family of three, the two of us and a 12 year old son.

The difference in price between "interior" and "oceanview" isn't that much, about $47. So, is that worth it? How about the upgrades and such? On the Carnival website, I see "Fun Select" an "Fun Select Plus." What??

Thanks in advance! I want this to be a good experience for my family.

If the difference is small, Id go with a OV because of the extra space and sofa. Inside the 3rd bed will be a upper or a roll away. OVs some should have a convertible sofa option for your son.

insides are 185 s.f. and OVs 220 s.f. and I find the space welcome and Ive never put 3 in a cabin.

I would be happy with the cheapest OV, near the aft elevator, a 6A, and would not pay extra to get a little higher category.. as that is close enough for me to midship if Im close to the aft elevator which goes right up near the buffet on Lido.

If the difference is small, Id go with a OV because of the extra space and sofa. Inside the 3rd bed will be a upper or a roll away. OVs some should have a convertible sofa option for your son.

insides are 185 s.f. and OVs 220 s.f. and I find the space welcome and Ive never put 3 in a cabin.

I would be happy with the cheapest OV, near the aft elevator, a 6A, and would not pay extra to get a little higher category.. as that is close enough for me to midship if Im close to the aft elevator which goes right up near the buffet on Lido.

Thanks for the very informative reply. I don't want my 12 year old to be miserable at nights, so if it's worth it...I'll move up to Balcony if need be. The prices I'm seeing are:

carnival.png

The balcony is 185 s.f. with a 35 s.f. balcony. I personally dont sit out there, Id rather be by the pool, so I just want to see out.

The OV is the same s.f. total as the balcony.

Im unsure why you think your 12 year old would be miserable with any cabin.. I would not have cared at that age, and wanted to be out at the slide all day or in the pool. He will enjoy camp carnival and wouldnt be sitting around the cabin during the day if he is a average 12 year old.

I would have slept in any bed my parents booked, but thats me. Some kids actually love the upper bunks.

I think balconys are more for the parents. If YOU would sit out. I always think its too hot, too cold, too windy and want to be where the action is myself. I dont sit out there by myself, but I cruise solo. You and your wife might have other ideas and with the two of you sit out a lot more.

The balcony is 185 s.f. with a 35 s.f. balcony. I personally dont sit out there, Id rather be by the pool, so I just want to see out.

The OV is the same s.f. total as the balcony.

Im unsure why you think your 12 year old would be miserable with any cabin.. I would not have cared at that age, and wanted to be out at the slide all day or in the pool. He will enjoy camp carnival and wouldnt be sitting around the cabin during the day if he is a average 12 year old.

I would have slept in any bed my parents booked, but thats me. Some kids actually love the upper bunks.

I think balconys are more for the parents. If YOU would sit out. I always think its too hot, too cold, too windy and want to be where the action is myself. I dont sit out there by myself, but I cruise solo. You and your wife might have other ideas and with the two of you sit out a lot more.

Wow, thanks for that! The way I was reading it the balcony rooms were larger, but now I see otherwise. That's a very important clarification.

You're right, I think he'll be fascinated either way. Maybe what I should do is go for the cheapest option (Interior) and then spend the money elsewhere for him.

Most new cruisers are hardly in their cabins to be honest. They want to see everything. After 5 or 10 cruises, maybe then you can say, I dont want to see the hairy chest contest, not my thing. .. or whatever.

New cruisers have not been on any excursions either.. so you might want to look at some private ones to save some money... thats where you money can go quickly. Take a taxi to a beach in one port.. I pick one or two ports a cruise at most to do excursions and just shop or something not so expensive in the others.

I know I will be back to those same ports again.

Im older .. so you will probably not be like me.. but I like to hang out in the back of the ship. There is a adults pool there, and lounge chairs .. and family tables and chairs near the 24/7 pizza and ice cream back there.

the main pool is where all the action will be if you want more action and see the activities carnival is having.

In between the two pools the buffet is open and you can grab a glass of free lemonaide in between or sit there in the a/c to cool off, even between meals they dont lock it.

There is also a big screen at the main pool where they show movies at night.. would you son be up for that? most are very family friendly. I dont watch them often.. but I stayed to watch Avatar when it was new even though it was raining, lol.

Most nights there will also be a comedian and the two early shows are called family friendly.

Most new cruisers are hardly in their cabins to be honest. They want to see everything. After 5 or 10 cruises, maybe then you can say, I dont want to see the hairy chest contest, not my thing. .. or whatever.

New cruisers have not been on any excursions either.. so you might want to look at some private ones to save some money... thats where you money can go quickly. Take a taxi to a beach in one port.. I pick one or two ports a cruise at most to do excursions and just shop or something not so expensive in the others.

I know I will be back to those same ports again.

Im older .. so you will probably not be like me.. but I like to hang out in the back of the ship. There is a adults pool there, and lounge chairs .. and family tables and chairs near the 24/7 pizza and ice cream back there.

the main pool is where all the action will be if you want more action and see the activities carnival is having.

In between the two pools the buffet is open and you can grab a glass of free lemonaide in between or sit there in the a/c to cool off, even between meals they dont lock it.

There is also a big screen at the main pool where they show movies at night.. would you son be up for that? most are very family friendly. I dont watch them often.. but I stayed to watch Avatar when it was new even though it was raining, lol.

Most nights there will also be a comedian and the two early shows are called family friendly.

Thanks, I think my son would love the movie at the pool. I think this ship looks pretty good, the other ones that are sailing out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale on the 6th or 7th are all about 30% smaller.

We just got off Victory 2 weeks ago and loved it! We initially booked an interior cabin but thanks to a nice price drop, we upgraded to a balcony for just a small amount more. As others have said, I'm not sure your son would care if there is a balcony, but you're on vacation too -- so be sure to take care of you! We loved our Victory balcony. Had a cup of coffee every single morning while enjoying the beautiful view, sat reading a book later in the day after I'd had enough sun, and every night before going to bed we sat out and enjoyed the beautiful evening. But that's just us -- we're from upstate NY and just having warm weather after a long winter thrilled us. We were on deck 7 which we thought was perfect -- close to everything. Be sure to walk all the way around the Lido buffet -- there is a deli on one side, chinese food on another, fabulous pizza (24 hours/day!) and calzones, grill, etc. Room service for a late lunch was wonderful when skies got a bit gray -- and we sat out on our balcony then as well. Overall -- you'll love the ship. It's just beautiful!! Have a fabulous time, I know you will !!

I think balconies are the best because it gives you an extension to your room (which is not that big usually) and it's soooo relaxing to just hang out there, having your moment of zen...my DDs (10 & 12) love coming out to the balcony and chowing on room service breakfast (we also add MDR bfast as well after, oink) as we check out what is passing by our ship.

I think the cost difference isn't that great between balcony and ocean view, so I would book balcony.

Have a great cruise!

We just got off Victory 2 weeks ago and loved it! We initially booked an interior cabin but thanks to a nice price drop, we upgraded to a balcony for just a small amount more. As others have said, I'm not sure your son would care if there is a balcony, but you're on vacation too -- so be sure to take care of you! We loved our Victory balcony. Had a cup of coffee every single morning while enjoying the beautiful view, sat reading a book later in the day after I'd had enough sun, and every night before going to bed we sat out and enjoyed the beautiful evening. But that's just us -- we're from upstate NY and just having warm weather after a long winter thrilled us. We were on deck 7 which we thought was perfect -- close to everything. Be sure to walk all the way around the Lido buffet -- there is a deli on one side, chinese food on another, fabulous pizza (24 hours/day!) and calzones, grill, etc. Room service for a late lunch was wonderful when skies got a bit gray -- and we sat out on our balcony then as well. Overall -- you'll love the ship. It's just beautiful!! Have a fabulous time, I know you will !!

Thank you for the recommendations.

Would everyone recommend as far as location on the ship for both Oceanview and for Balcony? Once I decide on which I want to do, I want to book as soon as possible.

Is it better to book on Carnival's website or somewhere else? Any advantage either way?

Hi,

Well your answer may vary from person to person. I booked my 7/8 trip initially through the website. Once I did that, I received a phone call from a Carnival PVP. The PVP has been helpful in telling me what cabins are available (I went from Lido deck to Empress deck). However this close to sailing, your best bet may be to just call carnival directly to book your trip.

I try to book a cabin that is midship, & on a floor that only has passengers above and beneath me. However, since I booked this trip fairly close to to sail date, I couldn't get a mid ship location. Therefore I am trying "aft" for the first time (but still was able to keep to my Empress level deck favorite).

The Victory was gorgeous when I first sailed her years ago. Good luck with your booking and let us know how it turns out!!

Caro

Thank you for the recommendations.

Would everyone recommend as far as location on the ship for both Oceanview and for Balcony? Once I decide on which I want to do, I want to book as soon as possible.

Is it better to book on Carnival's website or somewhere else? Any advantage either way?

Hi,

Well your answer may vary from person to person. I booked my 7/8 trip initially through the website. Once I did that, I received a phone call from a Carnival PVP. The PVP has been helpful in telling me what cabins are available (I went from Lido deck to Empress deck). However this close to sailing, your best bet may be to just call carnival directly to book your trip.

I try to book a cabin that is midship, & on a floor that only has passengers above and beneath me. However, since I booked this trip fairly close to to sail date, I couldn't get a mid ship location. Therefore I am trying "aft" for the first time (but still was able to keep to my Empress level deck favorite).

The Victory was gorgeous when I first sailed her years ago. Good luck with your booking and let us know how it turns out!!

Caro

How about this 7 category upgrade thing with Priceline? That looks good, though I'm not entirely sure what it actually does?

priceline.png

I completely agree to try to be as mid-ship as you can. We also were on the Empress deck and loved it. Cabins above, cabins below. Perfect and oh so quiet. I would go directly through Carnival for booking -- just my opinion, but I've always had excellent service. If you would like the name of my PVP, I'd be happy to recommend her. Private message me, if you would like. I had lots of questions for her and she was always so helpful and patient with me. I think you're getting some great answers here from other cruisers with lots of experience -- keep asking your questions. As for booking through "someone else", I've always been told that no one can undersell Carnival on price. I suppose that doesn't mean that someone else couldn't offer you perks, but I'd go to Carnival first and ask if there are are deals for that particular cruise, if onboard credit is available, etc.

I completely agree to try to be as mid-ship as you can. We also were on the Empress deck and loved it. Cabins above, cabins below. Perfect and oh so quiet. I would go directly through Carnival for booking -- just my opinion, but I've always had excellent service. If you would like the name of my PVP, I'd be happy to recommend her. Private message me, if you would like. I had lots of questions for her and she was always so helpful and patient with me. I think you're getting some great answers here from other cruisers with lots of experience -- keep asking your questions. As for booking through "someone else", I've always been told that no one can undersell Carnival on price. I suppose that doesn't mean that someone else couldn't offer you perks, but I'd go to Carnival first and ask if there are are deals for that particular cruise, if onboard credit is available, etc.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that. I guess you're right, that booking through them is probably the best way to avoid any down the road hassles.

Here are my two options. Which should I go with? Again it's two adults, one 12 year old:

My question is, given the difference in price, which should I go with? And what part of the ship, if I can get it? Forward, Aft, or Midship?

Oceanview:

oceanview.png

Balcony:

balcony.png

Hi,

Oh my. I don't know what your price point is but I would without a doubt get the balcony! For me it would definitely be worth the extra $200. I love having breakfast out there each morning and reading my book each night before bed. Plus it looks like there are still balconies available midship which is great!

Weigh the pros and cons...can you really use the $200 elsewhere? If not I say go for the balcony :)

Caro

Hi,

Oh my. I don't know what your price point is but I would without a doubt get the balcony! For me it would definitely be worth the extra $200. I love having breakfast out there each morning and reading my book each night before bed. Plus it looks like there are still balconies available midship which is great!

Weigh the pros and cons...can you really use the $200 elsewhere? If not I say go for the balcony :)

Caro

Thanks Caro,

Next question, upper, empress, or verandah if I go Balcony?

my balocny on this class ship will be on deck 7 by the aft elevators 7393 is perfect. no across the hall neighbors. its where they store the fire doors. there is the elevator up two decks for'food'and pools and down 2 decks for entertainment

Definitely Empress because it is between passenger decks (no public spaces above or below you that may problematic for noise).

good luck!!

Caro

Thanks Caro,

Next question, upper, empress, or verandah if I go Balcony?

Definitely Empress because it is between passenger decks (no public spaces above or below you that may problematic for noise).

good luck!!

Caro

Thanks Caro, I apologize for all the questions. I've been reading on this forum on and off for a year and I thought I knew it all. Then I began to actually book and realized how little I knew.

Last questions (hopefully):

Prepaid Gratuity for $138?

Insurance for $179? (we don't have medical insurance, so this may actually be needed).

Hi,

No worries!!! I do believe that prepaid gratuity is $11.50 pp per day (and if I am wrong on this someone please correct me).

From my experience on this board, I find buying insurance (or lack there of) for a cruise to be a personal thing. I personally would never travel without it (although I know many who have and lucked out). I generally use "travelguard" dot com and do a comparison from there. I also know plenty of people who use the Carnival insurance as well. You definitely want medical evacuation coverage at the very least (in my opinion). The quote you mention sounds quite reasonable.

I am sure others can jump in and give you even better advice than I can in this area!

Caro

Thanks Caro, I apologize for all the questions. I've been reading on this forum on and off for a year and I thought I knew it all. Then I began to actually book and realized how little I knew.

Last questions (hopefully):

Prepaid Gratuity for $138?

Insurance for $179? (we don't have medical insurance, so this may actually be needed).

Thanks for all the information.

I booked a balcony room (7330), and added Travel Guard insurance.

Thank you so much for all the help. I can't wait.

did you pick anytime dining or traditional dining?

Just wanted to offer a suggestion for an excursion in Cozumel. Our boys (around your son's age) loved Paradise Beach. It's a quick ride from the port via readily available taxis. There is tons for a 12 year old to do, including fun inflatables in the water, and we adults had a blast too. The food and drinks were great. We would definitely go back. Check out their website. Have a great cruise!

Archived