Sydney to Hong Kong

We just committed to Feb. 2014 Voyager cruise; it'll be our fifth Regent cruise. We'd love some help on choice of Regent excursions. We're very mobile but I am prone to sunburn ( I'll wear a goofy big hat and plenty of sunblock). Some questions:

Where will the Voyager probably dock in Sydney? She arrives the day before our embarkation and we arrive four days before her. A delightful Aussie from Brisbane gave us a 6 page prospective itinerary for Sydney so I'm set there but would love to hear what Regent excursions people enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) in eastern and northern Australia.

We've toured Bangkok and Hong Kong extensively but know almost nothing about what "best" to do in Vietnam (3 cities for 2 days each)!:confused:

Thanks.

The Mekong Delta is a great tour if you are not there during the Chinese New Year-unbelievable traffic. Hue is also good. In Halong I suggest you charter a private junk. Much better than Regents short tour. Don't miss the water puppet show!

Also meant to say the Bali tours are disappointing and on Komodo take the short tour. You shouldn't get sunburned but it is incredibly hot. We saw the dragons almost immediately and were so glad we didn't have to take the long tour.

Your days in Bali can be charming if you choose a pvt guide....go where you wish, enjoy lunch locally ...and the guide discourages the hawkers/vendors.

Vietnam is fascinating that there will be lots to see. The Mekong Delta takes a full day, Hue is charming and has several lovely lunch spots where you can enjoy a waterfront location. Hanoi is so different and again, needs a full day. We did these 3 cities with a pvt guide and highly recommend this approach. Saigon deserves some time but can be seen on your own or with only a short orientation tour. I suspect that soon you will find yourself not to have enough time in Vietnam!

Thanks for the tips.

Would you recommend a private tour in Bali (it is one of the ports that we are looking forward to) rather than the included Regent tours?

I see from the destination threads that several people recommended hat nets for trips in the interior of Aus. Will we likely have "bug" problems in our locations in Feb.?

Jim C

We did the cooking school in Bali and had a great time - four of us in a van with the chef, taken to the market where he introduced all kinds of exotic ingredients and then to the beautiful hotel cooking school for a great workshop (with "elves" to do the washing up!)

Can't recommend this Regent tour highly enough. (I think we paid extra for it)

I've linked to my blog url so often, I'm slightly embarrassed to post it again, but you might be interested to see a few photos and read about our day http://elegantsufficiency.squarespace.com/blog/2012/3/9/at-the-cooking-school.html. We were on the Voyager Sydney to Singapore cruise, the year before last, so perhaps there are some other destinations in common with the cruise you have booked.

Rereading those blog entries about Bali reminded me of the first day there, when we took the standard, Regent tour (sorry can't recall the title). Though I only referred to it obliquely in my blog entry that day, we had the strangest - and thankfully, unique - tour group ever, because the other two couples spent the day in almost complete silence.

We were eight in a minibus, dh and I with our two friends as a small group of four, then there were two other couples (all older than us, if that's relevant) a guide and a driver. Of course, the four of us chattered 20 to the dozen, the guide spoke clearly and authoratively about the places we visited, but the other four people didn't say a thing (not even amongst themselves, it seemed) As I read about having lunch in Ubud, I remember what a weird experience it was - they all sat, eating in silence at the same table as us, saying hardly a word to each other, never mind to us. (they were all English speakers, I'm sure...) Same in the gallery which followed... We felt quite intimidated by this and the atmosphere coloured our day without doubt.

It wa a really odd day and I'd forgotten all about it until now. The thing is, this was one occasion when actually, a larger group would have been better!

February is statistically the hottest month of the year but you can assume that bush flies can be a problem all year round, especially inland but they turn up everywhere. They aren't "dangerous" but they are a nuisance, especially if you accidentally inhale one!! A broad brim hat is a necessity anyway (NOT a baseball cap, you need to protect your face and neck from the sun) and a cheap bug net will prove VERY useful. Trust me! You'll look a bit of a dag but necessity beats glamour LOL

PS Dont forget your sunscreen, SPF 30 minimum, and drink plenty of water.

Room010 - You bring back fond memories of the "Great Australian Wave", or (more commonly) the "Aussie Salute" :D Anyone contemplating a trip into the "bush" should purchase and bring along a nice collapsible broad-brimmed hat (like a "Tilley") that shades the ears, forehead, and back of the neck. Make sure the hat comes with a fine mesh face covering (with an elastic band at the bottom) that can be pulled down over the face and head and extends to the base of the neck area. And don't forget the SPF blocker - as 010 recommends. Believe me, if you go out to "OZ" and travel into the "bush" and DON'T heed this advice, you'll be kicking yourself (in between swats)! Regards.

We did the cooking school in Bali and had a great time - four of us in a van with the chef, taken to the market where he introduced all kinds of exotic ingredients and then to the beautiful hotel cooking school for a great workshop (with "elves" to do the washing up!)

Can't recommend this Regent tour highly enough. (I think we paid extra for it)

I've linked to my blog url so often, I'm slightly embarrassed to post it again, but you might be interested to see a few photos and read about our day http://elegantsufficiency.squarespace.com/blog/2012/3/9/at-the-cooking-school.html. We were on the Voyager Sydney to Singapore cruise, the year before last, so perhaps there are some other destinations in common with the cruise you have booked.

My husband & I did the cooking school excursion in 2011. We both enjoyed it very much. While there, we decided to hire a private driver for the rest of the day. We arranged this through the hotel and there was someone there within the hour to take us to Ubud.

Here's our blog entry:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/thewrens/2/1299517391/tpod.html

Actually, if you go back several pages and forward several pages, you'll find our blog entries for Sydney - Hong Kong. We were on for 60 days so the entire blog is pretty lengthy.

Definitely would recommend hiring a junk in Halong Bay. It was incredible!

We also had an excellent guide in Saigon if you need a recommendation.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Karen

Karen, great to read your blog! Thank you for posting the url....I'm just going to revisit out cruise with slightly different company on board and won't even have to move from my comfy chair ;-)

The cooking school was so well organised, wasn't it?

Interesting to read your entries about Taipei and beyond too....destinations included in our cruise this February.

Gilly

Hi Karen. Just read your blog on Bali. Very interesting. The cooking school sounded great. I have been to Bali twice and had different experiences both times. Went on an excursion from the Mariner and had a very agreeable guide. Smiled at all our suggestions and questions. Finally figured out that he didn't really understand English so he would nod and smile at everything. Very funny. Had a good day in spite of this as we were a group of four and the others were wonderful company. Elsie

Karen, great to read your blog! Thank you for posting the url....I'm just going to revisit out cruise with slightly different company on board and won't even have to move from my comfy chair ;-)

The cooking school was so well organised, wasn't it?

Interesting to read your entries about Taipei and beyond too....destinations included in our cruise this February.

Gilly

Yes, the cooking class was very well organized and the food was so yummy!!! Glad you are enjoying our blog as we have enjoyed your blogs too. We had a great time on that cruise!!

Karen

Got back this afternoon from the National Zoo where I work as a volunteer. As always, it was fun but tiring today because of all the school groups. I hunkered down to relax by going through Cruise Critic and found the terrific replies to my questions. I thoroughly enjoyed the blogs! I'm sure I'll return to them often as I plan out our trip.

thanks,

Jim C

Bali tours often include visits to the ubiquitous batik factories, painting/art studios and jewellery stores with extremely "attentive" sales people. We had to flee to our bus to escape them. They aren't aggressive, it's not the Balinese way, but they can be very persistent. Guides have kick back arrangements with these places so tell your guide politely that you are not interested if he/she suggests a "quick visit".

DeepFreeze63/Jim.

Our tips for Vietnam below, (we also enjoyed the wonderful company of TxLadycruiser (Karen & Wayne) and l look forward to sailing with them

in less than eight weeks on the Silver Cloud (London Tower Bridge to Iceland and back).

We sailed (on Regent) from Hong Kong to Bangkok March/April 2010, port stops included many of the ports your voyage has; Da Nang, HO Chi Minn City, Ha Long Bay. Don't miss the wonderful sail in to Halong bay (pix below) to view (take pix) of the iconic rock formations. Recommend a junk sailing in/around Halong Bay. In Ho Chi Minn city we enjoyed the Cu Chi Tunnels excursion. For Da Nang suggest: the Hoi An tour start in central Danang (second pix below), then the Cham Museum, then on to Hoi An, then on to iconic China Beach or u may want to visit Hue.

146.jpg

254.jpg

Also, please check Cruise critic Asia thread...good posts for recommendations to visit the port stops on your cruise, link here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/searc...rchid=25437369

We visited Bali in December 2012 at the end of our Voyager Mumbai to Bali voyage. We loved our half day private excursion ($23 a couple), link below:

http://www.baliessentialtours.com

Some pix of our time in beautiful bali:

Fellow CCr's on our Bali half day excursion enjoyint Bali's gorgeous lush rice fields:

bali006_zps9c4f4180.jpg

We visted a poop (Luwak) coffee park:

bali017_zps55b6861a.jpg

Bali Temple:

bali037_zps637fc295.jpg

Archived