Same itinerary, choice of ships

sjde

We're trying to decide between two different 10-day cruises, same itinerary a week apart. One is the Nautica and the other Marina. Is there much difference?

Maybe excursion choices would be different?

The Marina, which has larger rooms, costs $300 less for the same category stateroom.

I know what the Nautica is like , I think, because I've been on the Azamara Quest and Journey.

Cabins on Marina are slightly bigger, larger bathrooms

have Barristas & the Grill station in the Terrace & of course La Reserve & the hands on cooking classes

Do not think you can go wrong with either ship

Lyn

If you love Azamara , book Nautica.

IMO the larger Oceania ships, although beautiful and offer more dining options, lack the intimacy of the r ships. A few veteran Azamara cruisers have felt the same . Many veteran o cruisers agree as well

If you want the same feel as Azamara , Nautica is a better choice IMO

if you love azamara , book nautica.

Imo the larger oceania ships, although beautiful and offer more dining options, lack the intimacy of the r ships. A few veteran azamara cruisers have felt the same . Many veteran o cruisers agree as well

if you want the same feel as azamara , nautica is a better choice imo

:d ditto

What we have noticed is that on Marina you may meet someone and not see them again until the end of the cruise. On the smaller ships you seem to bump into people all the time, thereby cementing friendships that may not happen on Marina.

Having said that, I do like the bigger ships. Baristas, Red Ginger, Jacques, larger cabin, and the bath tub. Don't forget the tub. Tough choice.

Mo

What we have noticed is that on Marina you may meet someone and not see them again until the end of the cruise. On the smaller ships you seem to bump into people all the time, thereby cementing friendships that may not happen on Marina.

Having said that, I do like the bigger ships. Baristas, Red Ginger, Jacques, larger cabin, and the bath tub. Don't forget the tub. Tough choice.

Mo

People keep saying "larger cabins" on O class ships. They are definitely larger from PH up but the regular cabins actually feel smaller to me (certainly less storage space). I am not aware of the ACTUAL sq.footage of the R vs O CABIN ITSELF (not including balconies and bathrooms). If anyone has these figures, I would appreciate if they could post them.

The larger sq. footage of the O class balcony cabins went mostly into the larger bathrooms, not the cabin itself. But they do look nicer with fresh décor, wood paneling, etc

People keep saying "larger cabins" on O class ships. They are definitely larger from PH up but the regular cabins actually feel smaller to me (certainly less storage space). I am not aware of the ACTUAL sq.footage of the R vs O CABIN ITSELF (not including balconies and bathrooms). If anyone has these figures, I would appreciate if they could post them.

The larger sq. footage of the O class balcony cabins went mostly into the larger bathrooms, not the cabin itself. But they do look nicer with fresh décor, wood paneling, etc

I think the cabins in the regular balcony are slightly bigger the sofa seems a bit larger (longer) & more room to pass at the end of the bed but I agree the storage seems to be not as good as the R-ships

JMO

Lyn

The room are definitely larger on the new ships. As LHT mentioned, you can pass at the foot of the bed on Marina. Seems we were always going in opposite directions! Might only be 12-18 inches, but it makes a difference.

Mo

220px-George_Clooney_66%C3%A8me_Festival_de_Venise_(Mostra)_3Alt1.jpgisabella1-sized.jpgbetty-white.jpg20110315_gottfried_190x190.jpg120625roseanne-barr1.jpg

There are times when not meeting someone a second time is a tragedy, and other times when it is a blessing...

I guess the BIG question to the OP is do you want cozy or somewhat cozy & extra amenities that Marina has to offer :confused:

I like both size ships for different reasons but it seems the itineraries I wanted lately were on the O class ships

Either size is fine but it comes down to a personal choice

enjoy whatever ship you choose

Lyn

...I am not aware of the ACTUAL sq.footage of the R vs O CABIN ITSELF (not including balconies and bathrooms). If anyone has these figures, I would appreciate if they could post them...

The standard veranda cabins on "R" class ships (Regatta, Nautica and Insignia) are 173 sq ft inside with a 43 sq ft balcony.

The standard veranda cabins on "O" class ships (Marina and Riviera) are 242 sq ft inside with a 40 sq ft balcony.

Note that the penthouse cabins on the smaller ships is 260 sq ft inside with a 62 sq ft balcony; that's just barely 18 sq ft larger than to standard veranda cabin on the smaller ships. However, I agree that the penthouse cabins on the smaller ships appear to be more spacious than the standard cabins on the larger ships, likely because much of the size increase on the larger ships is wast...I mean used up by the tub in the bathrooms.

The penthouse cabins on the larger ships are rated everywhere as 420 sq ft, however I can't find a definitive statement whether that includes the balcony or not. I believe it does, and I make an educated guess that the PH balcony is around 60 sq ft, making the inside 360 sq ft. This "feels" more correct than 420 inside plus 60 balcony. Part of the reason I believe this is that Oceania shows the size of the standard vernada cabins on the larger ships as 282 sq ft including the balcony, implying that the 420 also includes the balcony. I used other sources to break out the inside and balcony specs. None of the outside sources I can find break out the cabin and balcony size on the "O" class penthouse suites.

The standard veranda cabins on "R" class ships (Regatta, Nautica and Insignia) are 173 sq ft inside with a 43 sq ft balcony.

The standard veranda cabins on "O" class ships (Marina and Riviera) are 242 sq ft inside with a 40 sq ft balcony.

However, here is the key question.

Do the above numbers include the bathrooms. Because if they do, I am guessing that a lot of the difference between R's 173 sq. ft and O's 242 sq. ft. went into O's bathroom.

I am trying to find the sq. footage of the cabin space ONLY (not including the BR). I don't know if that info is available.

So, how big do you think the tub is? Not very. Rest of BR is comparable. Say 6 foot tub by 4 feet wide (which it isn't. ) = 24 square feet. Not nearly the increase, thereby accounting for being able to cross each other at the foot of the bed!!!!!

Mo

So, how big do you think the tub is? Not very. Rest of BR is comparable. Say 6 foot tub by 4 feet wide (which it isn't. ) = 24 square feet. Not nearly the increase, thereby accounting for being able to cross each other at the foot of the bed!!!!!

Mo

That's a "guesstimate" at best :D

I don't think the BRs are comparable (even without the tub). The R's BR is not only narrower (no bathtub) but also "shorter" (as it has a closet across from it in the hallway) - it's a "cubicle"; the O's BR is large.

Calling meow - we need your tape measurements :D

Also, there is a trade-off - you can pass easier at the foot of the bed but your access to the closet is much more limited :)

If it's a port intensive cruise I Prefer the Rship...for the Med it is great.

Agree with Terrier, easy tendering & can dock where larger ships can't....less imposing. However the Marina has more dinning choices..you can't go wrong with either.

If you love Azamara , book Nautica.

IMO the larger Oceania ships, although beautiful and offer more dining options, lack the intimacy of the r ships. A few veteran Azamara cruisers have felt the same . Many veteran o cruisers agree as well

If you want the same feel as Azamara , Nautica is a better choice IMO

I agree. We were on the Marina last Nov. and on the Regatta last month. We still prefer the smaller ships for a more elegant feel and IMO better service.

However, here is the key question.

Do the above numbers include the bathrooms. Because if they do, I am guessing that a lot of the difference between R's 173 sq. ft and O's 242 sq. ft. went into O's bathroom.

I am trying to find the sq. footage of the cabin space ONLY (not including the BR). I don't know if that info is available.

Pack the tape measure :D

Here's the problem -- no one I know can figure out how any cruise line arrives at the square foot measurement. While not with a tape measure, I've done some rough measuring of several cabins and come nowhere close to the published measurements. Do they go from inside wall to inside wall (actual usuable space) or do the go from outside the walls, or from a middle point in the walls? I've tiried estimating differnet ways, and still never match the cruise line measurements. Add in the real probability that different cruise lines take measurements in different ways...

...Perhaps I should pack the tape measure, or maybe a sonic laser tape measure that calculates the area and volume of a room. I could offer my services to cruise lines for an accurate competitive comparison of staterooms. All I need is maybe 10 days or so in each and every cabin configuration in every cruise ship...maybe in different locales to see if temperature of latitude affects the measurement. :rolleyes:

Here's the problem -- no one I know can figure out how any cruise line arrives at the square foot measurement. While not with a tape measure, I've done some rough measuring of several cabins and come nowhere close to the published measurements. Do they go from inside wall to inside wall (actual usuable space) or do the go from outside the walls, or from a middle point in the walls? I've tiried estimating differnet ways, and still never match the cruise line measurements. Add in the real probability that different cruise lines take measurements in different ways...

...Perhaps I should pack the tape measure, or maybe a sonic laser tape measure that calculates the area and volume of a room. I could offer my services to cruise lines for an accurate competitive comparison of staterooms. All I need is maybe 10 days or so in each and every cabin configuration in every cruise ship...maybe in different locales to see if temperature of latitude affects the measurement. :rolleyes:

I think you will need an assistant (or two) for that BIG job :D

Archived