We're hooked ! Alaska next. Many questions.

tootiesmom

We have just returned from our 1st Princess cruise (Caribbean Princess). What a wonderful experience! Maybe if we were given a cruise on another cruise line we might take it, but I believe Princess will be the line of choice from now on. That being said..... we are very serious about taking an Alaska cruise next year. Being "new" to the Princess line, what should we look for???? Which route, which ship, etc.??:eek: Please help us !! We want our next Princess cruise to be as great as the 1st and I know that the experienced "Alaska Princess" cruisers will come forth with an abundance of knowledge and information. ;)

tootiesmom (Jeane)

Real hard choice.

I am partial to the Sun class ships, prefer them to the Grand class.

That said, I think the RT out of San Francisco is great - for us, no flying!!!!

A true thrill to sail under the Golden Gate.

You'll get a lot of good advice - but still, a very hard choice.

Why Largin?

Beautiful ship.. Great staff.. Layout such as it does not seem crowded with 1970 passengers.. Adults only pool area with sliding roof.. College Fjord.. Glacier Bay.. Great food and martini's...

If airfare cost is a factor, the cheapest alternative is one of the Seattle roundtrips. We did that on the Diamond last summer and had a wonderful time--but now we want to see more of Alaska, so we just happen to be following Largin's suggestion next month. The Coral gets great reviews, and now that we've done two Princess megaships (the Diamond and the Caribbean) a smaller one should be an interesting contrast.

Les

Coral Princess is a fantastic ship. Agree with Largin about the fact that it never seemed crowded. I liked northbound because with each port/cruising area, the scenery is more splendid. Glacier Bay is beautiful and College Fjord is awe-inspiring! The naturalist onboard on our cruise [barbara] was really well-informed.

And by the way, the Coral Princess was fantastic for Panama Canal as well.

I enjoyed our cruise on the Diamond last year, but I think the round-trip itinerary isn't as good as the one-way. We only do the round-trip because it's convenient for us (we live in the Seattle area). A one-way on the Diamond or Sapphire next summer would probably be a fun trip. If you didn't mind the size of the Caribbean Princess, you'll love the Gem-class ships. They're about as big, but with less people. If you thought the CB was too big, though, you probably won't like the Gem-class ships, and then you should probably follow Largin's advice and go on the Coral or Island. We haven't had the pleasure of sailing them yet, but everyone raves about them! :) Also, if you're just doing a cruise and not a cruise-tour, there are almost always fantastic deals on the one-way sailings in May and early June if you wait until after final payment is due (90 days before sailing). This year, the May/early June weather has been icky, but last year we went in May and it was gorgeous the whole time (sunny and in the 70's).

OK - I've done Alaska 4 times with Princess. You HAVE TO do one of the "Voyage of the Glaciers" itineraries between Vancouver and Whittier (or visa versa). I would personally recommend northbound - the drama builds every day to true climax!!! I've also done southbound and have loved that (preceded it with lots of independent time on the Kenai pennisula. RTs, whether from SF (sorry Druke but here's a hug) or Seattle just don't get you close enough to the majesty of Alaska. Tracy Arm is nothing in comparison to Glacier Bay or Colled Fjiord. As to the Coral Class or Sun Class both are fab. Given the basis of your love for Princess, the Caribbean P., I would recommend the Coral or Island. They are very, very beautiful ships (best interiors of the line hands down), and offer many more choices than the Sun Class. If you were used to cruising Sun -era/size ships I would reco those. These ships are absolutely fabulous but seem "simple" in comparison to the variety on slightly newer ships. There are ways to get good prices on air - it pays to shop and FF miles can help. Also, if a land tour is out of the questions, it's still possible to book a Princess Lodge independently (often the best lodging in their area) at princesslodges.com. The rates are very good. You can partake of an extra night, perhaps, before returning to Anchorage for your flight home. (BTW, I highly recommend the Kenai Princess Lodge!!!)

We've only done the Northbound - Vancouver to Whittier and can't imagine it vice versa. Each day just got more spectacular as you went. Southbound, you'd have the spectacular first....but ultimately you have to decide what you feel is best! Any Alaskan cruise is awesome as I've heard no complaints....yet!

"This year, the May/early June weather has been icky"

We had fabulous weather on our sailing May 28--June 4---no rain at all till we arrived in Anchorage on the 4th and then it was just an hour or so.

Yeah, but a bunch of folks have mentioned really rough seas so far this year too. It really is hit or miss up there, glad you hit it right! :)

Our first cruise was to Alaska in 2003 on the Coral when it was a new ship. We flew to Fairbanks, spent 5 days touring Denali Park via the train, then sailed from Seward down to Vancouver for a total of 12 days. It was a fabulous trip and the Princess Lodges in the park were top notch. We were very impressed with how organized they were, to the point when we got off the bus from the airport, they handled all registration and just handed you a room key as you departed the bus.

I would recommend doing the land tour first, then sailing last so you get the running around out of the way first then relax on the ship the last seven nights.

Our cruise stopped at Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Ketchican, and Juneau. Glacier Bay was amazing and not to be missed.

Do the mini-suites on the Coral have completely uncovered balconies? We had a mini-suite on Caribbean Princess and the uncovered balcony was not a problem, but I've been reading that the weather in Alaska can be rainy at times. Just wondering???

Thanks for the info so far!! Keep it coming :D

Any recommendations for cabin choices for the Coral southbound?

tootiesmom (Jeane)

"This year, the May/early June weather has been icky"

We had fabulous weather on our sailing May 28--June 4---no rain at all till we arrived in Anchorage on the 4th and then it was just an hour or so.

We had NO rain in Seattle for 2 days and on the entire 7 days of our Diamond P voyage on June 4 ex. a few raindrops in Victoria and at sea once.. Sunny and 70's in Skagway and Juneau. My good luck with no rain in early June x 6 trips to Alaska held. :)

IMHO whatever itinerary you decide on, go on one that includes Glacier Bay if there's any chance this will be your "one and only" to Alaska.. not to be missed

My opinion only, but Princess is lacking on their round trip cruises out of Seattle and no sailings out of Vancouver. Too much outside passage for my preferences and no Glacier Bay. Times in port sometimes too little. As for one way cruises, I give a big edge to Seward, IF you plan to take advantage of it. :) Just an excellent opportunity for some great touring which few people do. A great deal just pass through and exit Alaska the same day they arrive/depart Whittier. I would just like to suggest looking at options to take advantage of being all the way there. :) It isn't a frequent trip for most. I find the Princess cruisetours also lacking in that the highpoint - Denali Park, they frequently only include the worthless Natural History tour- book this if you only want little chance of wildlife and substandard scenery. Understand fully what you are purchasing, the 7 day add ons are superior for having some time at the destinations, way too many tours have the priority for time in transit and little at the destination.

Do your homework the more you know the better your touring choices will be for you. :) Enjoy Alaska- it is paradise!!!

I believe we are leaning towards the Southbound Route on the Coral, but would love to hear more from you experts :D Is there a better month to go on this cruise? Are the pools heated, etc.?? Thanks for the wonderful input so far !!

tootiesmom (Jeane)

Bump

A bump is really not needed. If you want to read LOTS about Alaska, go to the Alaska Forum. Just reading the past few weeks will occupy someone for hours. There is LOTS of information there and much higher quality than you will find here since is is DEDICATED to ALASKA.

Archived